Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The Archives (Read 1627 times)
40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

The Archives
Oct 17th, 2008 at 9:23am
Print Post  
I am posting Rudi’s upcoming Archival Comments for the Journal here as I feel that it will reach people faster. 
40 Rod

What is it with the internet mindset, that all information should be free for the asking? The Archives makes information available at nominal cost, less than that of any other library, to cover postage, paper, toner cartridges and equipment repair, and that’s just about at the break even level.
    I often get requests for information, and tell the caller about where that information is available, and offer to make copies of the articles in the literature and mail them to him, and then just as often don’t hear back after my research effort, probably because I ask for that nominal fee. Public libraries won’t do that for free either.
    So if you want to use the archives, please know that there is some cost involved. Case in point is one fellow who wanted copies of twenty articles from the 15-year gleanings list, and was incensed that I would ask him for the cost of making and sending them to him. Maybe someday everything known to mankind will be free from Google, but not yet. And the ASSRA is not yet an information benevolent association.
    All that said, and I never had intended to make this known: if someone is involved with serious research about a gun-related topic (and maybe even occasionally contributes articles to the Journal) I think access to the archives materials ought to be gratis (of course for the return of copies of his research to the archives files.)
    Archives Catalog File  A few years ago Abby and Rob Mouat, of Cornell Publications, came at my invitation to visit Marquette to borrow the archives holdings of gun catalogs, to reprint and add to their already extensive offering of reproduction catalogs. In the following years I’ve retrieved our catalogs, with their reprints of them to loan out. They’ve also given us every year copies of other catalogs that had minor printing or binding flaws, to add to our catalog inventory.  Those flaws are inconsequential to the information in the catalogs, which is the reason for us having them; it doesn’t matter  whether the catalogs are original or pristine. And so our catalog file constantly is expanding, thanks to Abby and Rob Mouat.
    Their reprinting efforts also make our catalog files somewhat superfluous, in that you don’t need to borrow any catalogs from the archives when you can buy copies from them at very reasonable cost. Address Cornell Publications, PO Box 214, Brighton, MI 48116, Tel. (810) 225-3075, 9-5 pm Eastern Time, email abby@cornellpubs. com. For a list of catalogs available, go to [url=www. cornellpubs.com]www. cornellpubs.com[/url]. The list is updated every week.
     Your copies needed of The Home Shop Machinist,  which alternates every month with Machinist’s Workshop.  That publisher has determined that an exchange with our bimonthly Journal is reasonable with one of its bimonthly magazines, but not both of them. So now we get regular exchange issues of The Machinist’s Workshop,  and stopped getting issues of The Home Shop Machinist  after September - October, 2006. Can anyone fill in our gap of that magazine, perhaps even on an ongoing basis? We’d be happy to reimburse the postage.
    Please know that the Harlow Parkenfarker method of making a floor lamp out of a rifle with a false-muzzle barrel by Harry Pope is not recommended!  It entails the threading of the false muzzle for a light fixture, drilling out the firing pin hole for the exit cord, and sawing off  part of the buttstock to mount on a wooden base. This will compromise the value of your rifle (to put it mildly.)

IP Logged

dick_eesley
Ex Member

Re: The Archives
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Rudi  thanks for the clarification  never knew how you sorted out requests or the rationale behind it   dick eesley

IP Logged

Andy
Ex Member

Re: The Archives
Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
40_ROD you can have mine after I make one more pass thru them and make sure I have copied what I what I think I'll have a need for. I didn't have the heart to toss them after I went thru them last winter. Am running out of space in my own archive. Some little time will pass as I'm stuck at the Pittsburgh VA Hospital until mid November. Ship to Rudi right?
Cheers, Andy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint