Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic rear rifle rest sandbag question (Read 2346 times)
Joe_S
Oldtimer

rear rifle rest sandbag question
Oct 13th, 2008 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
I want to make a rear rifle rest sandbag. I just read the rules published on this website, and found no rules restricting the size or design of the bag. I did read somewhere, (maybe the ISSA rules?) that lead shot is not allowed in the bags. Are there any restrictions as to what we can use to fill the bags or as to the design of the bags? Thanks! Joe S

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: rear rifle rest sandbag question
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 6:48am
Print Post  
I believe you will find what you need to know in this link, the ASSRA Competition Rules.  It is also available in hardcopy from the Secretary.  I can't remember the exact rule, but I seem to remember it being here somewhere...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

HTH ~ Froggie

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
I'm pretty sure ASSRA does not disallow the use of shot; the modern benchrest guys do though.
I don't think shot is all that great a bag filler. What I use is "heavy sand". I think it's called zircon sand and think I got it from Hart. A certain volume of silica sand weighed 4.5# and the same volume of this heavy sand weighed 7.5#. Another material that weighs about that much is "Black Diamond" blasting sand. Very clean stuff. You might get some from someone local that does sandblasting or find that the price of a 50# bag is not so bad when you consider shipping. I'll bet it's a lot cheaper than 25# of shot, last I heard! I think "Tractor Supply" carries it.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 12:06am
Print Post  
I tried lead shot in my rear bag. It was a pain, so heavy, and stretched the bag out terrible. When I replaced the bag I used sand. Happy days are here again !   Smiley

Joe.               

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

John Louis
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 12:28am
Print Post  
Not sure what mathes you have out your but they all seem to have different rules! Keep in mind if you change one little thing you change it all and your rifle will not shot as expected! What I have done over the years is to have a setup that complys with all the different match rules so when I attend a match my Rifle will shoot as expected! 

Just something to think about?

John Louis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint