Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What scope and power do you use? (Read 6049 times)
Van
Senior Forum Member

What scope and power do you use?
Oct 12th, 2008 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Just getting started into this game and I have I have a great time this next summer because where I live it just about over for the year.
Need to know what you guys use for bench and standing.  Do you use the same power for standing as you do with the bench match?
I have several variables and 3 or 4 straight power,  I Have right now on my hiwall a Leopold straight 20X.  I also have a 24 with a very small dot that I'm thing of trying also. I would think that a lower power scope or setting for standing would be better, what do  you guys think?
Also while I have you what front sight do you use?

thanks,  Van  (the newbe)

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: What scope and power do you use?
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 8:48am
Print Post  
shooting 200 yards bench, I use fixed or variable set in the mid teens for centerfire--mostly 38-55, lower power if I'm shooting the 45-70.
for 200 yard bench 22 rf (a heavy barelled Ruger#1 conversion) I use a 40xMitchell---but a 20x would probably do as well--someday I'd like to try one of the 20 or 36 Weavers
for 100 yard offhand 22 rf I have a14x unrtl

For me what is most critical is being able to see the bullet holes though I also use a spotting scope.

I'm just starting to get into the offhand shooting--all 22 rf so far--mostly the 100yard 100-shot mini Hudson and the various 50 yard offhands.  One theory is that higher power gives too mutch amplification of movement.  others (maybe steadier shooters than me) say use all the power you can get.  I've found that 12-14x seems best for me.

I also want to avoid something that gives too narrow a field of view---need to make sure I'm firing on the correct target.  I learned that the hard way visiting a 22 silhouette match with my 100 yd offhand rifle and a 20x redfield. I knocked down 4 or the 1st 5 chickens--only to find they were the second set and they had to be fired on in order 1st through 10th.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

John Louis
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
I use a Night Force 12x42 for Bench Rest Scope with an 1/8 Minute Dot mounted on a 33-47 Brezien Stevens and leave it on the same power for offhand.

John Louis

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
On my 32-40 I use a variable power Burris scope set at 32X for benchrest and turned down to 20X for offhand.  I think most everyone uses a globe front sight w/changeable inserts for iron sights.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Van
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 1:11am
Print Post  
front sight,
you guys talking like a lyman  17a or 20, I just bought a Lyman 93 MJT  to fit on my front mount so I can remove it when scope shooting, hope that I haven't made a mistake on that one.
Like I say, "I've got a lot to learn over the winter".

I do think that I went the right way in getting the 3 greave B&D mold that Hoch makes, eventho it sticks a little in one side. Got any ideas on how to fix that sticking? 32-40 
Van 

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 8:20am
Print Post  
On my offhand rifles I use a 20 power Fecker and on my bench guns a 27 power Mitchell.

40 Rod

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Van, On the sticky mould, try this. Assuming that you are right handed you are holding the mould in your left hand and the mallet with which you tap the sprue plate open in your right hand. When you are ready to open the mould take the mallet and push against the bottom back corner of the right hand mould block as you open the mould. Experiment with the effort require. Let me know how this works.

Bill

IP Logged

Van
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
good information so far, keep it coming.
thanks, Van

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
How can you have a B&D mould that Hoch makes???? Undecided

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

Van
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Well Jim, it is supposed to be an exact copy of your 3 groove pointed 32 bullet, hope that I haven't gotten anyone in trouble saying that, if so I'm truly sorry.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Offhand I use a 20 x Parsons STS on my 32/40 22 Rf switch barrel CPA.  2nd CPA with a 38/55 barrel always used with black powder have been using a 12 X Unertl.   

Reason for the 12 is the recoil is too much for the eye relief on the 20x STS  I bought a Unertl BV 20 X for that rifle with longer eye relief so I can go up in power. However so far have not been able to get the proper position with the BV.  It's sight line is higher and my cheek is too far off the comb.  Once I work that out will go to the 20 X for sure.   

High power is good but as has been said there could be diminishing returns with extreme high power on hot hazy days.  Having said that the best offhand shooters I know use 36 X  If I could get that power with a traditonal scope would surely do it.

On the field of view.  In Silhouette we have all shot on the wrong bank but, Your offhand position should be so repeatable that the rifle settles on the correct target everytime without fail.  If you have to look around to find the right bank of animals it's a position problem that can be band-aided by a wide field of view scope. Better to get the mount and settle down pat and only see the animal or bulls eye through the scope.  Schuetzen even more so, the target is always hung in the same place no good reason to get out of line.  I don't want to see anything but target through the scope.

Schuetzen or Silhouette It's good to have a marker indicating the first target, Most Silhouette ranges have them, If Schuetzen and targets are close spaced without number boards put a big mark or red target pastier on your targets to guard against mistakes.  Crowded hanging will cause problems and sometimes I will hang my sighter diagional and place it bottom right in a 4 target hang.  No way to mistake it.

Another dodge is to mark your foot positon on the ground somehow. I used to use target pasters right in front of each big toe. If you stand in the same place everytime alignment and mis read targets are not likely to happen. Get it down pat and you don't need the marks anymore.

Boats

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #11 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Ok Van You got Hoch to make you a copy of our 3 groove bullet!
That ok but not what you said! Tongue Tongue

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
I use a 30X Fecker for bench rest and a 10X Lyman Jr. for offhand. I like the lighter weight and trimmer lines of the Junior for offhand as most of my rifles are fairly heavy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint