Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic  Greenhill's Formula (Read 8329 times)
Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Greenhill's Formula
Oct 1st, 2008 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
In a recent conversation with a very knowledgeable single shot rifle shooter, I mentioned that I had calculated the maximum bullet length for the breech loading rifle we were discussing using the rifling twist, etc. and the well know Greenhill Formula. 

I was promptly informed that the Greenhill Formula applies only to muzzle loader rifles and, therefore, I should disregard the bullet length that I arrived at using said formula when selecting bullets for my single shot rifles.

Was my mentor correct with his guidance for me, and if so, why would a muzzle loader shooting a conical bullet be any different from a breech loaded rifle?

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re:   Greenhill's Formula
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
With all due respect to the "knowledgeable shooter", Horse Puckey!  Greenhill doesn't know or care if there's a cartridge case or a percussion cap setting off the powder.  There are changes to be made in the constant if you're looking at the velocity differences between jacketed and cast bullet loads, but for lead alloy bullets in the range of 1000 to 1600 fps, use the formula in good health!  By the way, the Greenhill formula was developed, in it's original form, for artillery use, and modified/simplified for use in small arms.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Thanks 38 Caliber for that input.  The constant that I use is 150, are you saying that I maybe should be using some other constant?

Creed Moor

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
I use 150 for cast bullets, and have had as much success as my abilities allow with cast bullets from 25 through 45 caliber.  Course, we "are" talking about my shooting ability, or lack thereof!   Wink

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

MikeT
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
The constant factor for best stability depends on how far you are shooting.  For example for 1000 yard shooting, I like a constant of 125 which is a better bet than the 150 in the standard formula.  Another factor that affects the constant is the BC of the bullet in question.
Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Don Miller did an excellent article for the Spring 2007 issue of the Black Powder Cartridge news entitled … A New Twist Rule Applied to Black Powder Rifles.  It is a great read but one has to have a PhD in Mathematics to replicate it - manually or setting up a spreadsheet

IP Logged

RJM

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Greenhill developed his formula when lead bullets from a trapdoor springfield was state of the art. So the constant of 150 better fits lead bullets at moderate velocities than modern boattail spitzer bullets at >3000 fps. The formula was developed empirically - just trial & error to fit the observations, so others have modified Greenhill to fit more modern calibers.

One modification of Greenhill replaces the 150 constant with 3.5 times the square root of the velocity. At 1400 fps this gives a "constant" of about 130, and at 3200 fps it gives 200. This gives reasonable results for everything from a 32-40 to a 6 ppc. 

The modified formulas is online at:   (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Regards, Ron

IP Logged

Unclenick
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Greenhill was a British mathematician who developed the formula for artillery shells in the 1800 fps range.  Don Miller's version compensates for velocity and air density difference due to temperature and barometric pressure.  It also considers the effect of bullet weight.  It is inaccurate in the transonic range (roughly 1050 fps to 1350 fps at standard temperature and pressure) where drag shoots up, but otherwise it seems to be pretty good.

The Miller calculations are a bit complicated to use with a pocket calculator.  There are too many opportunities to make an entry error.  However, I put his formulas into an Excel file, along with an altitude barometric pressure calculator.  If you have Excel or the free (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) spreadsheet program, Calc, it will run in either one. You can download it and some other odds and ends of shooting related files from (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).  The file includes instructions and a brief description of the significance of and suggested values for the gyroscopic stability factor, s.

Nick

IP Logged

ddeuce43
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 10:50am
Print Post  
I dont have a real mathematical grasp of the Greenhill Formula.  My interest is success in long range competition using Black Powder Cartridge Rifles.  Which, in turn, necessitates a search for what works at long range in the rifles used. 

I have shot a few different rifles in .45 Caliber, different twist rates, Black Powder, different velocities, using the same bullet cast from the same alloy.  Specifically, the Saeco #745 Bullet because it has proven accurate over the course from 200 to 1,000 yards in all three rifles in comparison to other bullets tried...  Using an Original Trapdoor, a 1x18 Twist Badger Barrel and a 1x16 twist Douglas Premium Barrel at fairly similar velocities, (1285-1320).  In reasonably calm conditions it is difficult to tell much difference out to 800 yards.

However, when shooting in turbulent conditions, and/or beyond 800 yards, the 1x16 twist barrel does seem to resist turbulent conditions and keep the bullet more stable than the other rifles at the longer ranges, with this particular bullet.  By stable I mean that the bullet strikes on paper are more consistent with less random tipping and in constant conditions the bullets also strike closer together on paper.  It also seems that sight corrections are more predictable as to results on paper.

Observing this difference causes me to suspect that the higher rotational spin imparted by the 16 twist might aid in keeping the projectiles rotational integrity intact throughout flight to the target at the longer ranges.  I feel that this is important because each shot fired is at least in a slightly different condition and sometimes in a very different condition and this, more than anything else, seems to determine where the bullet strikes on paper at 1,000 yards and not any other factor.

I am tinkering with the same rifles using a 560 grain bullet and it will be interesting the see the results.  

IP Logged

THX1138
Ex Member

Re:   Greenhill's Formula ?Try This Instead
Reply #9 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Just plug your data into the appropriate spots.  The calculations are made as you enter information.  Quick, accurate and generates answers to the most common bullet/velocity/twist questions.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 17 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint