Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Re: 30 Wesson Information Needed (Read 3622 times)
marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: 30 Wesson Information Needed
Sep 30th, 2008 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
There most definitely was a .30-30 Wesson, and I guess it's been referred to as a ".30 Wesson" on many occasions. The cartridge is similar in size and velocity to the old .32-35 Stevens and Maynard, but the rim size is more along the lines of a .357 magnum, and cases can be formed from .357 Maximum brass. It is a tapered case like the .32-35, .32-40, etc., of course in .30 caliber.-Vall

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 12:16am
Print Post  
A few years ago, Steve Garbe's "SPG Black Powder Cartridge News" had an article on the .30 Wesson. I think that @ one time Steve Garbe may have toyed w/ the cartridge.

I'd contact the magazine & see if you can obtain a reprint of the article.

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 11:11am
Print Post  
ken
I have a 30/30 wesson I am more than happy with. Its a 24" 12 twist barrel from a Remington tactical rifle on a Martini action. It cinsistantly shoots most cast bullets 1moa. Garbe had a 10 twist back then and was fooling with a duplex load with blk and liked it. Dave Kiff from Pacific tool did my reamer. I still have it. It has a .331 neck. I learned from bench rest practices the tight neck is the way to go. I also made a bullet seater with the reamer. C&H have the forming dies. The brass needs to be anealed before forming. then i turn the necks. I have a couple of cases that havn't been resized since theit first shot. My barrel is sensitive to bullet dia. it is happiest with 311291 sized .309. 2400,4227 and 4198 work about the same.haven't tried blk. yet. 
Tom

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Screwloose- Go ahead and try the Black. My Winchester (1-10 twist) loves it (Swiss FFF) behind a Hoch 177gr. Shoots far better than the nut behind the butt.

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
flatlander
How is the fowling? what lube u using? Garbe had a 10 twist and wanted the 12. Mine shoots the Ideal 308278 real well. Will blk. give enough velocity for the heavier bullets?
Tom

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Screwloosetc
     Up front let me say that the rifle I had built is for hunting (small critters, rocks, prairie muffins, etc.), not target work. I am not a competitive shooter. That being said, I do regularly test loads at our local range and this one will keep inside MOA (100 yds) if I do my part. Remember, "Only accurate rifles are interesting." SPG is my choice in lubes as that is what I started with many years ago and I have seen no reason to change. The longest string I have shot is 12 rounds before cleaning (cool + dry conditions.) Again in a hunting situation there is no opportunity for wiping between shots. I do use a blow tube and fowling so far has not been an issue for me. The 1-10 twist was chosed for the heavier hunting bullets I wanted to use per advise I received from other sources. I read the Garbe article many years ago but if my memory serves me correctly I believe he thought the 1-12 twist would stabilize the lighter slugs better for less recoil over long shot strings at targets? With the heavier hunting bullets, this cartridge can surprise you with its bark. Yes, black will give you enough velocity within the perameters of what the cartridge was designed for. I had a thread started on the WSU Forum years ago and received help from a gentleman there during my first trials with the cartridge. You could try a search for more info.
Remember, my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. 

Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint