Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Shipping antique rifles (Read 2402 times)
thop
Senior Forum Member

Shipping antique rifles
Sep 24th, 2008 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
I think we are all in agreement that antiques firearms, made before 1899, can be shipped without going through an FFL holder.  Is it different if a firearm has a serial number, indicating manufacture before 1899, but has been rebarrelled to a modern cartridge?  An example would be a four digit ser # Winchester highwall rebarrelled for 225 Winchester.  Thanks

Terry

thop

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Re: Shipping antique rifles
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
My understanding is that under Federal law, the manufacture date of the receiver is what counts... If it's Pre-1898, no matter what you do that does not obliterate the serial number (which is a whole other can of worms...) it's still an antique.

Paul F.

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks Paul,  That's the way I understand it too but I needed to hear someone else say it.  It is unfortunate that some gun dealers are so gun shy (pun not intended) that they feel they have to error so far on the side of safety that they will require a signed FFL for a firearm that is clearly covered as an antique under this provision.  I wonder how many sales are lost by well meaning dealers because they ignore this fact.  Thanks again for the response Paul.  Terry

thop

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
You're welcome...

I think where SOME dealers get confused is "replica" firearms made as a replica of muzzle-loaders GENERALLY get treated the same as "antiques".. not quite, but close.
But replicas of CARTRIDGE arms are NOT treated the same... they're "modern" firearms.
So some dealers get some of that mixed up with "antiques", and things go downhill from there.

I know my favorite local dealer knows the laws pretty well, but just for some safety, they 4473 ANYTHING that comes to them, even antiques.  THey don't do the state mandated paperwork for antiques, but they do the federal form 4473, just in case there's ever a question about a firearm that left their shop, they have a paper record of what it was, that it WAS an antique, and who it was sold or delivered to...  they don't have to rely on memory by passing an antique "over the counter" with no paperwork.   
I can understand doing that...

Paul F.

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
I long ago came to the conclusion that most gun dealers were idiots.They should either learn the law or get out of the business.I have had` several antique rifles sent to a FFL simply because the dealers did not believe that CA laws on Antique firearms were the same as Federal.This cost me 40-50 dollars extra each time.One time my FFL looked at the rifle and said"Why did ths idiot ship this to me?".

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
I've pruchased three Ballards in .22 rimfire that I had to have sent to my FFL dealer, because the idiot selling them thought that .22 rimfires were not included as antiques.
Each time my dealer just handed them to me and said he didn't need to do any paperwork, or charge me, as they were simply antiques, and exempt.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint