Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New to me Miller Action of unknown caliber (Read 5778 times)
45auto
Participating Member

New to me Miller Action of unknown caliber
Sep 21st, 2008 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Bought a new to me Miller a few weeks ago, and based on the barrel, and the ease a 32 miller short case dropped in, I thought I was doing fine.
Tonight I finished making a breech seater and when I seated the first bullet, I had to extend the seater plug  a full 5/16" in front of the case so the bullet would "stick" in the rifling. Bad news for me so i went to watch football....At halftime, I took a few 357 max cases and put them into my miller dies and tapered them full length. They split, but I have them at least in the same shape as a miller short, but longer. They dropped right into the chamber and the bolt closed snugly.... What is this caliber called? 32 Miller?? 32 Miller Max?
I'll remake the seater tomorrow using the max case, and then try for some shooting 
Thanks for any ideas.
Mike

My job is so difficult that it's not really possible, but I somehow manage to pull it off time and time again. I couldn't even begin to explain what I do as that's even more difficult.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: New to me Miller Action of unknown caliber
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Sounds like you really need to make a chamber cast and get out the micrometer!  Lots of possibilities here...

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 8:31am
Print Post  
What you may have is a 32 Miller the earlier case was a 357 max brass tapered to 32. The miller short came after and was more popular but there are 32 Millers still around.

40 Rod

IP Logged

45auto
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:09am
Print Post  
I bet you're right it is an early action, marked MD on the top of the breech block sn is in the 500 range. I have had really BAD luck with  chamber casting, so I will not go down that road. I'll let everyone know what it turns out to be....
Thanks,
Mike

My job is so difficult that it's not really possible, but I somehow manage to pull it off time and time again. I couldn't even begin to explain what I do as that's even more difficult.

IP Logged

45auto
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:13am
Print Post  
I can't remember the previous owners name, but this rifle came from the "coon dog trials", a giant gunshow swap meet near Kenton Ohio and I bought it over the phone from a  friend that picked it up there.....I was shooting at Etna Green when I heard about it.
I was told where it came from, but forget.  I remember Dayton Ohio, from a shooter that passed recently

IP Logged

cmargs

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 11:32am
Print Post  
You have to anneal the max.cases about half way down other wise you will split the most of them. I have built a few rifles on the Max. case, if your front 5/16" is straight you can OD. turn them (just to clean up) and shoot fixed ammo. Mine Have shot verywell.

IP Logged

45auto
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Thanks to all....
I annealed 5 new Max  cases, and used a die that I made using the chamber reamer for 32MS. Got them to fit nicely, then trimmed them to length. Now I can seat a bullet  just fine. Tomorrow the range. ......I'll stick up some pics of it when I get the seater properly finished..
Mike
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2008 at 7:28pm by 45auto »  

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
500 sounds like a higher S/N? I haven't seen one that high.

IP Logged

45auto
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
I agree it seems a high number. 
Action is in the white, barrel is brushed SS. sn is 5XX, bottom of breech block is marked Miller Arms, St Onge SD,
and the top of the breechblock is marked with a DM inside a  circle,and Miller  below that. Never figured to own one so I never really looked at others on the line at Etna Green
Mike

IP Logged

Wapiti

Reply #9 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 10:37pm
Print Post  

You might call Cyle Miller, Dean's son,  in St. Onge and see if he can tell you where the action went originally. 606-578-1790

It is a high number! Congratulations on owning the finest SS ever made! Grin

Good shooting.

IP Logged

Hammer47

Reply #10 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Can't believe you found something worth having from the Kenton Coon Dog field trials.  I went there recently and found nothing but a conglomoration of crap.  30 years ago it was a heck of a place to find bargains but as of late it is only a place for kids to get drunk without getting caught. I can remember dealing guns at 4AM by gaslight, now when it gets dusk, the dealing is over and the "party" begins.........Now that I think about it, I sure do miss the "tattoo"bus. Grin  If you were never there in the "good old days" you just won't understand.  Regards...g
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2008 at 7:23pm by Jim_Borton »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint