Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Vintage Bench shooters... need some Unertl educati (Read 7304 times)
Magnum_Wheel_Man
Ex Member

Vintage Bench shooters... need some Unertl educati
Sep 19th, 2008 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
So I got talked into shooting the '06 with the 15X Unertl scope on it... & I spent the whole afternoon educating myself...

I guess they put those turrets inside caps now for a reason... I know anyone that touched this rifle over the years, has turned the knobs...

I started at 100 yards, & couldn't hit a 55 gallon barrel in 5 shots, ( one to the center, & one in each corner of my 14" X 28" targets... 

hmmm...moved to 50 yards... 1st 2 shots not on the barrel...

ergggg... moved to 25 yards... ... did finally at least hit the barrel...

so I moved to 50 ft, & finally worked the scope to put a hole in the dot...

... then I worked my way back out to finally 200 yards ( I'd hoped to start at 100, then 200, & finish at 300 yards )... 

... I finally shot a 5 shot group at 200 yards ( wish I'd stopped at a 3 shot group, as the 1st 3 were in about 1" )... 4th & 5th got ugly, but then I realized I had shot 28 rounds of 30-06 off the bench, in a sporter weight rifle, before begining my 5 shot 200 yard group...

This gun was my father in laws, & I've, until now been intimidated about breaking the scope, so it's gone unshot for at least 10 years...

anyway... anyone regularly shoot with a Unertl ???

any special maintenance needed ???

I think my "clicks" seem to be 1 MOA... seems like a lot ???

can the turrets be reset to zero, or do I really need to write down the settings for each distance ??? so I know were to go back to for my normal zero ???

anyway... good thing I started with the 150 grain bullets... I'll be taking it back out tomorrow with 165's & 180's... here's a couple pics of my rig... taken from the bench of my range...

IP Logged

Magnum_Wheel_Man
Ex Member

Re: Vintage Bench shooters... need some Unertl edu
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
another pic

IP Logged

Magnum_Wheel_Man
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
one more

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
On each turret below the black knurled ring you will se 3 sm screws se about 75deg apart. back tham out a turn or so, not remove them, until you can zero the turret as your baseline.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

Magnum_Wheel_Man
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Awesome... Thanks Tim...

I plan on putting a similar scope on my 32-40 "roller" project... & wanted to get familiar with one...

my 1st time shooting an external adjust scope... ( I have another 20X on a similar 98 Mauser )

So do target shooters spread the bases out as far as possible on the rifle / scope to reduce the impact shift per click ??? mine seems to be almost 1 MOA per click, which seems like a lot ???

any recomendations for specific maintenance, & or lube to use ???

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Yours looks to be space at the 7+ spacing which is a 1/4" per click adjustment at 100 yard.

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Actually, 7.2" center to center on the rings gives about 1/4" adjustment at 100 yards.   Wink

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Be prepared to go through the drill all over again every time you change bullet weights! You should pick a bullet weight and stick with it so you'll know how many clicks between 50-100-200-300 yds. This will change with changes in bullet weight.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

chillippr
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Are you returning the scope to battery after each shot?  Don't depend on the return spring for repeatability.
By the way, I have no trouble returning to a zero or to various ranges using the micrometer mounts as intended

IP Logged

Magnum_Wheel_Man
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the comments...

a bit more frustration today...

1st the front mount came loose ( likely yesterday )... I had to "finger tighten twice today, so I "snugged" it with a screw driver, & it seemed to hold...

2nd, my rifle appearently doesn't like heavier bullets... 180 grainers seemed to group no better than 6" - 8" at 200 yards... I went back to the 165's & shot about a 3" group at 300 yards with the gun...

maybe time for resto on that gun... a heavier faster twist barrel, a 6mm caliber, & a new scope conductive to 600 - 1000 yard shooting, then I could move the Unertl to my Reminton Roller project...

IP Logged

Magnum_Wheel_Man
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
another.... Btw... sorry, but you need to click he links to see the full image as I have the pics sized...

IP Logged

Magnum_Wheel_Man
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
one more...

IP Logged

AndyZ

Reply #12 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
   Mag_W_M      just a few comments.    The 3 screws mentioned to "zero" the adjustments may be very hard to turn!!!  They are small and likely undesturbed for many years.  If you do loosten them and turn the knob it will likely end up between marks on the barrel of the adjustment making it difficult to use as a micrometer.  Far better to just record the micrometer "number" and be able to return to it.
  (  perhaps someone can explaine this more clearly)
   Yes you do need to tighten the mount screws.  A coin (quarter?) is good to prevent overtightening.
    These are wonderful scopes and you will not hurt them by using them!!!!
     Good  shooting.             andyZ

IP Logged

Magnum_Wheel_Man
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 8:03am
Print Post  
Thanks for the tips...

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Nice looking range, I'm jealous. I'd offer a couple suggestions, first put out a couple windflags down range and learn to read them, does'nt matter if you have nice trees down the sides. Secondly, you're shooting a pretty good boomer with a thin bbl. Try spacing your shots 30 even 60 seconds apart to keep heat down to some degree.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint