Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Potential Lead Bullet Ban in WA. State! (Read 4153 times)
Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Potential Lead Bullet Ban in WA. State!
Sep 17th, 2008 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
From the NRA-ILA e-mail alerts

"Lead Ammunition in Jeopardy in Washington State!
"Please Stand-Up and Make Your Voice Heard! 

"The lead ammunition you use for hunting as well as target and competitive shooting will be banned from purchase, use and ownership in the state of Washington [bold added --RCN] if the state's Department of Ecology has its way. Lead ammunition is a target of a series of recommendations in the "Lead Chemical Action Plan" prepared by the Department of Ecology. 

"The plan is open for public comment until Monday, October 6. The plan and information about submitting comments are available at: 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).

"Lead shot has been banned in waterfowl hunting. Most recently, California passed a law that prohibits hunters from using lead ammunition in areas within the range of the California condor. A symposium was held in June in Boise, Idaho about the effects of lead ammunition on wildlife and humans. Most of the speakers supported a ban on lead ammunition, regardless of the cost, performance, and availability of substitutes. The Department of Ecology plan is yet another effort to remove lead ammunition nationwide.

"Please take the time to submit comments to the Department of Ecology and to Governor Chris Gregoire (D). Let the Governor know that there is no adequate substitute for lead ammunition and that any affects on humans and wildlife do not justify a ban as recommended by her Department of Ecology. Governor Gregoire can be reached by phone at (360) 902-4111, by fax at (360) 753-4110, or click here to send email. The Governor can also be reached by U.S. Mail at: Governor Chris Gregoire, Office of the Governor, P.O. Box 40002, Olympia, WA 98504-0002."

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: Potential Lead Bullet Ban in WA. State!
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Ray
I did an editorial about the lead / ammunition bans in a number of states. When I was researching this I called my state rep. and senator about the bills. The first thing that surprised me was the deference that I was given when I said that I was doing a storey for The American Single Shot Rifle Journal on the subject and wanted to hear from my state reps on the subject. My advice to you is to tell your local politicos that you are doing a story on the attempt to ban lead target ammunition for The Journal, a national firearms magazine it will really help you get access. I found out that shining a light on those little slimy things really gets them going, the thought that their names would be tied to any negative press is terrifying to them.It may help.
I belive that a letter to the editor would satify your "Reporter" status.

40 Rod

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 11:40am
Print Post  
I agree you should send your comments-but if you read the article is says they want no change to the current eniv. laws about lead ammo.Just another case of the NRA going off half-cocked.They ddn't even read the part about lead ammo.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I agree you should send your comments-but if you read the article is says they want no change to the current eniv. laws about lead ammo.Just another case of the NRA going off half-cocked.They ddn't even read the part about lead ammo.

I dont see that  Huh   Which article and where does it say that? I'm getting tired of looking.    Cry

Joe. Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
It's in the summery under "lead amm---" it's a small PDF file.

IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 2:44am
Print Post  
"I agree you should send your comments-but if you read the article is says they want no change to the current eniv. laws about lead ammo."
--SingleShotMan.

Here';s what I posted on another site about a similar comment --

"... Since I have gotten a lot of comments on ammunition today, I would like to mention that there is no proposed ban on lead ammunition in the Draft Lead CAP. We would like to work with hunters and shooters to promote non-toxic alternatives to lead without negatively affecting hunting or shooting areas." 
---Holly Davies, PhD 
Chemical Action Plan Developer 
Washington State Department of Ecology 

In response to Ms. Davies statement -- "I would like to mention that there is no proposed ban on lead ammunition in the Draft Lead CAP....", I will add YET. 

The draft Lead Chemical Action Plan (CAP). clearly lays out the dangers of lead to humans & animals: 

"Update on the Lead Chemical 
Action Plan: Lead Ammunition 

"Lead from ammunition is one of the many sources of this metal 
covered in the draft Lead Chemical Action Plan (CAP). The CAP is 
a planning tool to guide statewide efforts to reduce lead exposures 
in the environment. The goal is to lower the amount of lead people 
and wildlife are exposed to. 

"The CAP does not include any recommendations to ban or regulate 
lead in any type of ammunition beyond current law. This includes 
all shotgun, rifle and handgun loads. Currently, lead shot is 
banned for hunting all waterfowl, coot, snipe, and in specific 
hunting areas (see below). These actions are taken where lead shot 
is known to be or has the potential to be a significant source of 
wildlife mortality." 

Notice the use of the wording "current law." Then it mentions about lead shot that is banned & were taken as a result of the known or potential source of wildlife mortality. Again the use of the word "potential". & if you read the CAP draft, it will specifically mention how lead effects the wildlife, esp. the younger animals. See page IX of the draft. 

Next the "Update" says: 

"Lead ammunition has other impacts as well: 

"Scavenging animals can be harmed by eating game that is killed 
with lead ammunition. If particles of lead ammunition are not 
first removed from game before eating, human health can be 
harmed, too. 

"Lead ammunition can contaminate shooting areas so that these 
sites are a danger to humans and animals." 

Note use of the wording "lead ammunition" , I seriously doubt that they are referring only to "lead shot". 

If you read the CAP section, "Fishing, Hunting, and Shooting" (pp. 98 - 106) the dangers of lead are prominently laid out: 

"Because lead ammunition has been found to result in high blood lead levels in workers and people who smelt lead to make their own ammunition sportspersons who cast their own ammunition or fishing weights from lead, and other household members, are at significant risk for high levels of lead exposure. " 

"There are some risks for people who consume game." 

"Areas where a lot of shooting takes place may accumulate large amounts of lead in the soil, which is a potential source of lead exposure for both people and wildlife." 

"Fishing, hunting and shooting deposit lead into the environment and the major exposure is to wildlife. Many animals are directly exposed to lead when they mistake lead fragments for food or grit....Raptors and other predatory animals are subject to secondary poisoning by preying on lead-laden birds and mammals, or by scavenging contaminated carcasses." 

"Popular shooting areas may accumulate large amounts of lead. Washington has many such areas including indoor ranges and outdoor ranges; ranges open to the public and law enforcement and military ranges; and informal shooting areas on both public and private land." 

Then under "Recommendations", theCAP reads (p 217): 

"Recommendations to lower risk for wildlife and the environment 
"8. Work with stakeholders to phase out the use of lead in distributive products. 
"9. Work with stakeholders to decrease use of lead in other products. 
"10. Evaluate the safety of current rules and permits limits for lead in light of new research on the health effects of lead. 

Then on page 259: 

"Reduce Risks to Wildlife and the Environment 
Environmental monitoring. 

"Goal: reduce and eliminate threats to the environment from consumer products that are a source of lead exposure during use. " 

IMO,  it may not effect ammunition now.But when/if implemented, it most assuredly will. Maybe not now, but in the very near future.

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Thank you Ray. And singelshotman.

Joe.   Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2008 at 1:08pm by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint