Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) SCOPE ADAPTER (Read 9434 times)
joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

SCOPE ADAPTER
Sep 13th, 2008 at 11:54am
Print Post  
     (My hobby includes getting the book written. I've written here for help in the past, and the aggravation outpaced the help to the point that I went to other forums, while keeping my eye on this forum. After the recent changes, I thought to try again for help.)

I'm about to buy a Savage rifle in 308 Winchester for benchrest cast bullet shooting, and have been thinking about the scope. The Savage-and most other rifles-come with holes drilled in the front and rear receiver rings for scope bases. These will accept, for example,  Weaver bases; and rings, fitting, are easy to find. 
For a good target scope, such as a Weaver T36, I'm looking at ~$450 for scope, mounts and rings.
     In the old days, at least some Remington and Winchester bolt action rifles were drilled for "scope blocks", for blocks that are made for mounting Lyman SuperTargetspot scopes and others. One block went on the front receiver ring, the second on the barrel.
     I'd like to use one of my Lyman STS scopes on this Savage rifle, without having any holes drilled in the barrel for the front block. 
     Being completely without design ability, I can't figure out how to do this, or what the arrangement looks like. Ideally, there would be ?Weaver bases on the rifle. An adapter would fit on the Weaver bases, and would have scope blocks so that a Lyman, Unertl, Litschert, Davis, etc. scope would fit.
     And, wouldn't it be keen if there were an adapter that fit on scope blocks so that a scope with ?Weaver rings could be mounted.
     I'll send this to Steve Earle, but I'm hoping that someone here knows of an adapter or a design that will work.
Thanks;
Joe b.   

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: SCOPE ADAPTER
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2008 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Joe good to see you back.  Paul Shuttleworth sells scope adaptors.  Ones I have seen attach to the rear Unertl style block and allow a reciever sight to attach.  It's groved on the top side for the standard Weaver style scope mount dovetail.    Of course what you want to do is the reverse. Could be you could run a pair fo them upside down.  One thing about the external adjustment scopes you don't have to have any particular block spacing, click adjustment will change but still works.

Try his web site may give you some ideas.

Boats

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2008 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Joe
Why dont u want the barrel drilled? 
that would be the best solution to ur problem. Or u could make a sleeve and braze a block to it. I have a Remington scope designed to mount on the receiver. Unertl made one also. they will cost u as much as a good modern target scope. u have more scopes to choose from if u use the receiver mts. I like the redfield and buris one piece bases. 
Lots of luck
Tom

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2008 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Since you're looking at 7.1" spacing to get 1/4 min. adjustments, you should be able to do that with an extended front base in the normal scope mount holes, and a standard base on the rear.  At one time, Unertl made one piece bases for bolt action rifles that would give you the spacing you want, but I haven't seen them for many years.   

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2008 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
ok Joe
look what u got me into searching to resolve ur problem (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)  I believe the remington is taped for the bases. u might want to inquire. looks like a lot of rifle for the money. the 12 twist remingtons shoot cast with the best of them. I have a remington tactical barrel on my 30/30 wesson and it is always into or under 1".Had a friend with a savage in 30-1" 1/2 that shot cast real well also.I think the Remington will hold its value better than the Savage. Cost is less. U opened a can of worms.
lots of luck and best wishes.
Tom

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2008 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Older Remington Varmint rifles used to be drilled and tapped for scope blocks, and even came with them, but I don't think any new M-700 rifles have been shipped that way in years.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

zach
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2008 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Joe, might try the proper height STS blocks using epoxy glue on the front block.  This will not damage the barrel (maybe the blue) and can be removed by application of a little heat.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #7 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Zach,

What epxoy works for this? I remember this discussion a couple years ago about epoxies for scope blocks. What have you had luck with?

I had epoxied a front ramp on my sporterized 03A3 but do not remeber what I used and am not sure it would have had the holding power I would imagine a scope block would need. I used something from a local hardware store. If IIRC most people who epoxy blocks use something a bit more serious.

Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

zach
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Merwin,
Think that J_B Weld would do the job, but if you have a small quanity of Brownell's Acraglas which works fine for installing barrel liners, it might even be better.  You could check with Brownell's Tech Support for advice on which product they would recommend for this application...always something new.

Zach

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Dixie advertises a magnetic base. Brownells have sleves for sling swivels u could adapt. epoxy is heat sensitive and the barrel might get hot. what is ur reason for not drilling the barrel? That is the proper way to do it.
tom

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 11:08am
Print Post  
I used J-B Weld to hold a Lyman 17A in the front sight slot of my Haenel Aydt.  It has been there for 3 years and seems to be holding fine.  Not too terribly ugly and the Aydt can be readily restored.

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 11:32am
Print Post  
remember the rifle in question is a 308 bolt gun. more recoil than a 22rf.
tom

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
And a scope is heavier than a front sight.

Bill

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
that is why it should be screwed on. or use the holes u have for a modern scope. cheap jap scope probably has better optics. look on ebay.
tom

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Take a look at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) on EvilBay...it's not too cheap, but if it's like the ones I own, the optics are sure clear!   Grin

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint