Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ASSRA MEMBERSHIP (Read 15029 times)
slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: ASSRA MEMBERSHIP
Reply #30 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
I have to agree with Marlinguy. I have never shot in competition and I am 63 years old. May try it sometime but it is not on my must do list. I target shoot informaly at my backyard range and actively collect Stevens Singleshots along with several other types of guns that I have interest in. Like to hunt some too. Hoping Illinois will add a black powder cartridge deer season. This is something I think the ASSRA could help with if they so chose.
I have a thought on the mutiple orginizations. I belong to a local Thunderbird club that is part of a larger Classic Thunderbird Club International. The local club has local activities. The International Club has larger activities that anyone in the local clubs can participate in. Of course this requires membership in both orginizations which is no real problem. When you look at the costs involved in this hobby, guns, ammo, acessories, etc, the cost of membership in an orginiation is a very small part of it. I have paid more for a box of ammo for an obscure caliber than the dues are.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 7:53am
Print Post  
Marlingguy 

Agree there are more single shot fans than match shooters.
I sort of mixed the two,  Guessing again if ASSRA has 2000 members I doubt if 250 shoot matches regularly and 3/4 of those bench rest only.  On the East Coast 50 is a very large match turn out with a couple dozen the norm. Never attended Etna Green matches but people tell me shooters number less than 100. 

On the other hand if NRA has a 4000-5000 total turn out at BPCS matches that number covers match shooters only, not people otherwise intrested in singleshots. Total number of people intrested is probably 4 times match shooters.

We hunt with Single shots some around here but the state rules are a handicap. Muzzleloaders get special seasons and treatment while CF cartridge rifles of any sort are grouped and have much more restrictive regulations.  East from a Tree stand and West in the Montains short seasons. I will use a Trapdoor some but generaly go for the Minne Ball rifle deer season and a T/C contender .22 for Squirels. My Single shot match rifles are not suitable for anything outside the target range.

Boats
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2008 at 8:05am by boats »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #32 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
We're in the same rut here Boats. Oregon doesn't recognise anything that shoots a bullet as different than a modern high power rifle, so when I hunt with an old singleshot it's alongside my family members with their .30-06, .25-06, etc. 
Oregon even restricts muzzleloader season to strictly traditional muzzleloaders and their replicas, with only traditional ignition systems, and sights!
After hunting for nearly 40 years, and taking a lot of game with modern rifles, I don't much care if I'm at a disadvantage. I still bring home some venison, and when I do the thrill is better than it ever was with my bolt action .30-06! Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 7:57am
Print Post  
Marlinguy, We are way off the topic but what the heck

I agree it's a lot more fun to do something thats a bit more rewarding, only problem I have with the Centerfire season in Virginia  is you are in the woods with a thousand amatures that are trigger happy. M/L season is much longer and a lot less people.  We allow the modern In Line M/L's although my personal choice is no later than the 
Civil War.

Actualy my first choice for Squirells is a 1950 vintage Marlin 39A with a Lyman 17 tang sight.  Owned it for nearly 50 years, Paid for the rifle instalments running Muskrat traps and Crab Pots.

Couple of us are planning a Ferial Pig Hunt down in South Georgia soon and it's perfect work for a Trapdoor. Or a big old Revolver.

Boats

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #34 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 8:12am
Print Post  
Boats:

Keep an eye peeled for Hogzillas big brother.

Bill

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #35 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
I'm kind of in the same boat here in Michigan. Tramping in the woods with a single shot rifle. old or new, always seems better to me. Our muzzleloading season is anything goes as long as black powder or a substitute is used to launch the slug.  I hope we follow Mississippi in allowing BPCR to be used for hunting.

I do also shoot competitively. More for the social aspect than a serious paper puncher. 

Squirrel season opens in 4 days!

Ed

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #36 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Yea Boats, way OT, but a lot more interesting! Maybe we should start another topic about hunting, and see if it takes off?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Suits me could be intresting. Far flung as we are could get some good trades trip for trip with guys going. Have always wanted to Hunt out west. Mule deer or even Antelope.  Trouble would be comming up with something suitable East Coast,  Fish no problem big ones too, but big Game is Deer or Bear and Bears are hard to find.

Boats

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
I deer hunt here in Southern Illinois with a CVA side by side .50 cal double barreled muzzleloader. Got an acquaintenance who knows a guy connected to the Illinois Department of Conservation. They have been trying to get blackpowder cartridge rifles legalized here. It would be great if the ASSRA would get involved in this effort. A letter or two to the right people could help!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint