Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ASSRA MEMBERSHIP (Read 15019 times)
GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Re: ASSRA MEMBERSHIP
Reply #15 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
annual member
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Annual Member since the mid 1980's. Never set foot at Etna Green but would like to some day, maybe after retirement?

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
I'm a proud member of Assra and will be till the day I die, if things get tough I may have to sell something that belongs to my wife to pay my dues, I'll do whatever it takes.     leadball

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Cat,

You can find a list of all the members on the forum by selecting the "Members" button at the top of the page. Haven't looked in a long time but think it also includes those who unsubscribed. A list of ASSRA members would be hard to do unless the forum members would all use their own names so the list could be checked against against a list. Best bet is to hope all the ASSRA members on here will post to this thread. Doubt that will happen.

PETE

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 5:30am
Print Post  
Many ASSRA members, (including some of the better shooters and "gunsmiths") rarely, if ever, post here. Most ASSRA members who are also forum members will likely not feel it necessary to respond to this thread. I am curious as to what motivates the question?

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
I tried to do a bit of an analysis on this a few years back for my own edification.  I concluded that 10% or less of the registered users here make more than 90% of the posts. Some of the most prolific posters were either non or ex members.  Most of those who I knew are both ASSRA members and also members of this forum did not actively engage in the give-and-take.

Speaking with a bit of tongue in cheek, I suspect that most of them enjoy shooting at targets, not becoming one.  some who were active have backed off, myself included, probably simply to avoid getting caught up in the endless recycling of two or three specific sore points of contention

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #21 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Annual Member. Smiley Regards, FITZ

FITZ

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
thanks guys
just wondered what the ratio of real to part time members is.
I was looking more for a set of numbers rather than all these responses. I think the interaction and thoughts are great.
thanks. I should have asked what is the number of people who belong to the assra. just want to know how large the organization is. someone has access to that number.
tom

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 6:43am
Print Post  
I think that may have been posted. but just in case, the last I talked with the guy in charge of membership it is was more or less 1900-- 2000.  It fluctuates up and down as old members drop out or die off and new ones join.   
As with most of the fishing, shooting, and other outdoor sports the numbers are dropping as the older generation of sportsmen leave the scene and kids are more oriented to indoor sedentary game.  I imagine that the tightening economy is having an effect as well.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 7:14am
Print Post  
If I were to guess I would say ASSRA has about 2000 members.

Thing that I always wondered was total number of single shot shooters that could be ASSRA members.  I doubt if ISSA has 500 and WSA perhaps less.  Largest number would be BPCS shooters, active match shooters in single shot silouette must be a couple of thousand. Add less than that number shooting NRA rules black powder target rifle.  Then there is cross over with people holding memberships in more than one.

Anyway if these numbers are near correct it makes little sense to have 4 orgs to cover 4000-5000 shooters. If we had one umbrella club great economy of scale would result in producing the magazine holding matches etc.  And a stronger group would result.  Difference between the various factions is slight.  One case it's the color of the target only.

Not that it is ever going to happen. People would lose control of there private turf.

Boats

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Boats, I think your last sentence says it all.  I don't want to re-start the recent nastiness we had over exactly this issue, so I won't belabor the specifics that apply to ASSRA.  I stayed out of that fight because I'm one of the members who lives remotely, doesn't get to share in the range, and can't get there to vote, but still keep my membership to support the organization.

None of these organizations is going to grow until they give up their small piece of turf and decide to support the overall spectrum of single shot shooting, at the expense of favoring their own special interest.  As long as the real function of the organization, (as evidenced by their actions) is to support the activities of a few members in limited locations, there will not be widespread support from the overall single shot fraternity for the organization.  This is not necessarily a bad thing, especially for the chosen few that live in the right locations.  But, it limits the overall scope of the organization, as there are a limited number of members that are not located in the right place who will join and not share in the benefit.

There may be an overall strength to this type of arrangement, as it at least keeps up a strong shooting fraternity in a spot or two in the country.

The real strength of numbers as you say are in the BPCR shooters.  And, they have families and younger shooters with them also.  The reason for that is the inclusiveness and willingness to help that goes on.  I can't believe how many shooters I see each match using borrowed rifles and someone else's ammo.  And, seeing them come back a year later with their own.  It's also a participatory sport to some extent, with a spotter to assist, and in many of the gong matches, all the spotters on the squad helping out the beginning shooters.  I can walk to the line before any match, without sight settings or a spotter, and have two or three people helping immediately.  Sometimes at the expense of getting their own sight settings.  That's the kind of participation that makes makes people join and come back.

dave
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2008 at 10:29am by Jim_Borton »  

IP Logged

trapdoor1888
Participating Member

Reply #26 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Life member # 204. Have gotten a lot of useful information from forum. Never been to Etna Green but may when finally retire.

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Member. While I do not shoot in competition since a rimfire-centerfire benchrest schedule seems to take 3 out of 4 weeks a month, I figure it's a tradition worthy of support and i own-shoot several single shots recreationally.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2008 at 8:21pm by tim_s »  

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
SSDave

Agree on the BPCS shooters and matches.  I also think the structure provided by NRA affiliation has helped that match too.  I have run a couple at our club and you have to meet certain terms to be accredited. Key is a standard match flyer that is distributed to anyone who asks with match dates published in Shooting Sports monthly.  No flyer no certified match or the benifits that come with it like club being protected by insurance.  Insurance issue alone makes my home gun club only allow NRA matches.

I shoot Schuetzen on the East coast and can say for sure some of the matches are well kept secrets. Few are advertised and easily accessable to new shooters.  Great once you attend and have always felt welcome but finding them is not easy.

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #29 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Sep 9th, 2008 at 7:14am:
If I were to guess I would say ASSRA has about 2000 members.

Thing that I always wondered was total number of single shot shooters that could be ASSRA members.  I doubt if ISSA has 500 and WSA perhaps less.  Largest number would be BPCS shooters, active match shooters in single shot silouette must be a couple of thousand. Add less than that number shooting NRA rules black powder target rifle.  Then there is cross over with people holding memberships in more than one.

Anyway if these numbers are near correct it makes little sense to have 4 orgs to cover 4000-5000 shooters. If we had one umbrella club great economy of scale would result in producing the magazine holding matches etc.  And a stronger group would result.  Difference between the various factions is slight.  One case it's the color of the target only.

Not that it is ever going to happen. People would lose control of there private turf.

Boats

Did you guy ever consider that a great number of singleshot enthusiasts NEVER shoot competitively, or no longer shoot competitively? 
I have a number of friends who are head over heels in love with singleshot rifles (myself included!) but shoot casually, or not at all! I always thought that some in the organization seemed to revolve around the shooting aspect, and really overlooked those who shoot casually or just collect.
If ASSRA, or any singleshot rifle oriented organization is to grow and prosper, they need to recognise that not eveyone can, or does compete in any form. Some of us just love these fine old singles!
It is the American Singleshot Rifle Assn., not the American Singleshot Shooting Assn. Just my 2 cents worth.-Vall
PS-Some of us even hunt with old offhand rifles!
Union Hill Ballard .38-55, 5x4 Mule Deer, Oct. 2006.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2008 at 8:06pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint