Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Pedersoli Sharps opinions & info (Read 35119 times)
slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Pedersoli Sharps opinions & info
Aug 4th, 2008 at 1:42am
Print Post  
Picked up a new in the box Pedersoli Sharps in .45-70 this weekend with a tang sight for $800. Bought it because I have wanted a Sharps ever since I first saw Quigley Down Under. Plan to use it for informal target shooting and possibly some hunting. Deer or hogs possibly. Cyotes if I can get a shot at one. Box says it is a Sharps Plains Rifle. Has straight grip checkered stock, double set trigers, 32" full octogon barell. Weighs about 10 1/2 pounds. Box also says SPR05. I can not find a Plains Rifle listed anywhere. Has this model been discontinued?  Read a good article a few years ago that rated many of the repo's. I know that Shiloh is the best. Where does Pedersoli fit in? I am prety sure it will be adequate for my needs, just curious.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Re: Pedersoli Sharps opinions & info
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 8:44am
Print Post  
IMO Pedersoli and Shiloh compare thusly:

Accuracy is equal; Pedersoli gives up nothing to anyone in this area.

Action design gives Pedersoli a slight edge due to better adjustments.

Wood-to-metal fit is much better with the Shiloh.

Barrel octagon flats on the Pedersoli are not very flat and have rounded edges, really a very poor appearance in some cases.

Reliability is approximately equal, both will break lever springs and firing pins occasionally.

Service is a top priority with Shiloh but is restricted to their location while Pedersoli service is somewhat more widely available.

Braggin' rights is no contest, Shiloh wins that one hands down!

The-most-accuracy-for-the-money is also no contest but Pedersoli wins that one hands down!

IMO it comes down to which one is available and how much appearance and braggin' rights are worth to you. I would happily take a Pedersoli any time but would insist upon re-polishing the barrel flats before bragging about it. I like Shiloh and Pedersoli but personally avoid C.Sharps; their quality is apparently excellent but their owner's reputation is not.
JMO, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 10:39am
Print Post  
I'll toss my dos centavos into this one, Joe!  When I was at the C. Sharps showroom a couple of months ago, the external quality of the rifles on display was, on the best examples, little better than Pedersoli, and on average, worse than what you would expect from a first-year gunsmithing student!    Shocked  I've burned better wood than was on the majority of the rifles, and the fit and finish was pretty sad.  Wood on several looked like it had been power flap sanded by a chimpanzee on speed, with a coat of Danish oil slapped on.   

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the update, David. My friend Coydog's bad experience with the owner, combined with your bad report on their recent quality, has confirmed & reinforced my bad opinion of the C.Sharps company.
Too bad, Joe

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I hope that they can turn things around, but when the showroom samples, which you would expect to be the "best of the best", look like the ones I examined, I don't think that the upper management really cares.  My shooting buddy has one of their HiWalls, probably six or seven years old, and it's no comparison with the current examples we saw...like night & day.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Shoot your Ped and enjoy the experience of a bygone era. A Shiloh is very nice but I have enjoyed a lot of shooting during the years I would have waited for 4 guns. The wood, color case hardened action, fit & finish of the "Boss gun is probably the best.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!

IP Logged

henpeckedmuch
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Pedersoli the one use for silouette  45-70 with 61 1/2 gr goex cartridge powder and a 500 gr. bullet,  10 shots into a group the size of the  palm of my hand at 300+ yd. 
Beauty is as beauty does!!!  My Pedersoli is one pur--ttttty gun!

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the input. I am sure it do all I want it to do. Fit and finish is excellent by my standards. Anybody know if the Plains Rifle is still made? I have not been able to find one available new. Just curious as to what retail is today. I am sure that the $800 I paid was a prety good deal especially with a tang sight included. I have enough left over from the difference in price of the Shiloh to buy a couple of other neat toys that I don't need but would like to have.

IP Logged

Roofuss
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
slumlord44 : You did good at $800. I just sold my Pedersoli Sharps Silhouette on Gunbroker 2 weeks ago, and got $980.00 for this older { made in 1995 } 45-70 rifle that was in excellent shape, and a great shooter. Only reason I sold it was to make room for a Shiloh arriving in early October. Pedersoli makes good stuff , but have to admit , never heard of the model you mentioned ?  Huh

IP Logged

13Echo
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Pedersoli makes several models of '74s and will make them more or less to order for large buyers like Navy Arms or Dixie.  A 32" octagonal barrel with a checkered, straight grip stock sounds like the current Billy Dixon or Sharps Sporting standard, both of which have curved butt plates.  If it has a shotgun butt it might be an upgraded version of the Business Rifle.  the bottom line is don't spend too much time worrying about what model it is, just enjoy.  At current prices for these models you did very good.

Jerry Liles

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 5:39am
Print Post  
this sharps shoots a lot better than i can, and while i really enjoy shooting it there are sharp edges that will rip you open on the breech block.
this target was shot at 200 I have shot 5 inch groups at 500m.
had not shot a match in over a year and last month shot a 25 with 3 chiks. a personal high and did well.
irish

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
I had to take a file and a honing stone to the triggers and lower edges of the breechblocks of my Sharps and Highwall to avoid getting my hands cut up. A person should not have to do that but I guess that is part of the reason the price is so attractive. Joe S

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Joe, most currently produced factory firearms, not custom or semi-custom jobs, are little more than assembled kits, imo.  They all need some work to be  even a good example of the type, not necessarily the best of the type.  This could be nothing more than proper disassembly, cleaning and lubricating the action, to major tuning and deburring or re-heat treating components.  I guess I shouldn't complain about this situation...after all, it does keep gunsmiths in business!   Roll Eyes  And we've got to keep beans, rice and tortillas on our tables, too!

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

samster049
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2013 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Hello All,

I'm a new member on this forum. I joined after I just purchased a new Sharps replica manufactured by Davide Pedersoli & Co. The reason that I'm posting this is because I have a pretty big question: I received my Model 1859 Sharps Cavalry Carbine, and amazingly, it has 7-groove/7-land rifling. Has anyone seen this before?

My carbine arrived in suitably new condition after I ordered it online from Cabelas.com, but it is amazing to me that its rifling is completely different than all the published specs on the Cabelas.com website and the Davide Pedersoli & Co. website itself!

Am I the only one to experience this? Is this a manufacturer error, or is Pedersoli simply circulating the wrong specs? 

The only other place I've seen the same model of Pedersoli-made Sharps carbine listed as having 7-grooves/7-lands is on the Dixie Gun Works catalog. But why would Pedersoli say it's 6-groove/6-land rifling?

How come there aren't more people noticing this? Can I expect my carbine to shoot properly with the sights it came with from the manufacturer? Should I try to return or exchange it?

Any feedback from fellow forum members would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Samster

IP Logged

CaryT

Reply #14 - Sep 18th, 2013 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
My 17 -18 year old,  heavy barreled 34" Pedersoli shoots good.  I did have to get one of Steve Brooks 540 gr 'creedmore' bullet molds that cast @ .460" dia to make this gun shoot though.  Good thing I did because it is the same bullet that I now shoot in my 'shiloh' .  (Another story for another time).
Pedersoli's are not a 'shiloh' but, the older ones will shoot when properly feed.
Not bad looking either.  If you cannot afford a shiloh, get the pedersoli and bang away.  Better than sitting at home.

Cary

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint