Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Pedersoli Sharps opinions & info (Read 35145 times)
SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Pedersoli Sharps opinions & info
Reply #15 - Sep 18th, 2013 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
I shoot ~16 BPCR registered matches per year and use a C. Sharps. It is an excellent rifle with nice wood and excellent fit and finish. Of the matches I attend, which average around 30 shooters (some as large as 50, a couple as small as in the teens), # of rifles is split about equally between C. Sharps, Shiloh Sharps, CPA and the balance a mix of Win-Miroku/Browning, Pedersoli and others. The service I and everyone I've spoken to about our C. Sharps has been excellent. My spotter has several C. Sharps and all have engraving and fancy wood and they are beautiful rifles. As nice as any custom rifle by any of their competitors. I plan to purchase an 1874 from C. Sharps as soon as I can get my new gun budget replenished. As far as Pedersoli, there have been a couple of fairly long threads in the past couple of years on their lack of service in the USA. Best of luck with yours. I'll stick with C. Sharps, Shiloh, CPA or other USA made rifles. The shooter who just won 3 of 4 of our Nat'l championships at Raton this year (.22LR scope and both scope and iron-sights BPCR - just missed .22LR iron when a small screw fell out of his rear sight during sight-in for the rams and he had to hold-off and only got 4) shoots C. Sharps by choice, as they offer no contingency rewards for doing so.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Sep 19th, 2013 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
I have had nothing but good experience with C. Sharps while on the other hand nothing but poor with pedersoli. If there was any sort of customer support with ped. I might consider one because of the lower price but only on a gun I wanted to reconfigure. ped's stock lines are wrong on the 1874 and many lack the "ejection" lug on the lever causing the block to drop below the correct position when the breech is opened. Had one of their rollers for a bit and the hammer "peened" in short order. Couldn't get ped cust service to respond so rehardened the thing myself. Was D-glad to get rid of it and would warn off anyone considering a gun from them.

SS

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #17 - Sep 19th, 2013 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
There was a fellow at our range who shot only 100 shots in his new Pedersoli. The hammer also dimpled and would no longer set the primer off. Every manufacturer has quality problems and may have accidentally not hardened the hammer. But I hear stories of others who have had the same quality issues. So if you want a rifle that only needs to be fired 100 times then the purchase of the cheaper quality version may be all you need.

I prefer the Shiloh Sharps since I know it should easily have a 100,000 shot life span; unless poor handling on my part breaks the firing pin.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Sep 19th, 2013 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Shiloh still and always the best but still no problems with the Pedersoli I bought way back when this thread started. Possibly their quality control has slipped over the years?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Sep 19th, 2013 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
I would be wary of C Sharps, not everyone has had the same great experience as noted. A friend and smith went to Quigley this year and not to mention the C rifle he spent two hours on he said three others had to make a run to C to get them up and running. I also had an extremely bad experience with them several years back and based on it I would not recommend doing business with them.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Quote:
As far as Pedersoli, there have been a couple of fairly long threads in the past couple of years on their lack of service in the USA. Best of luck with yours.

SSS - Best of luck with yours!
Guess I am the exception in the public opinion poll!  I have 2 Pedersoli '74's.  A 45-70 and the French Gray receiver Competition model that was rechambered to 45-90.  Only 2 broken parts after thousands of rounds: firing pin and main spring.  Both were easy repairs with parts available from VTI. I do carry a spare parts kit in the range box - Just In Case that I haven't had to use yet
Most folks poo-poo the Pedersoli's in favor of the Shilohs & C Sharps.  The fit to finish and wood quality on mine are very good with no complaints.  Plus, put good sights on the rifle - the accuracy is as good as my eyes & reloads.  I shoot 1000yds with the rifles. So for the price of one Shiloh I have 2 Pedersoli's

As for the barrels, do you know they are Match Grade?

Continued next post - maxed out for characters for this post ...
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2013 at 9:10am by »  

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 8:52am
Print Post  
As for the barrels, do you know they are Broach Cut Match Grade?
Pedersoli barrels are machined from a chrome moly alloy having the metalurgical composition called 30Cr Mo4  Uni 7845 which is a patented alloy variation developed by Mauser in the 1930s specially for their new M34 light machinegun which has such a rapid rate of fire. The alloy was designed to prevent or minimize the barrel from "walking" the bullets on the target as the barrel heated up. Only Mauser, Sako, Mannlicher and Walther use this expensive alloy which Pedersoli buys.

At Pedersoli all barrels are drilled and reamed but then add a third step which is to HONE the bore hole to bring it up to the match grade tolerance of the final bore diameter.  Also the honing produces a much finer finish in the bore hole and this fine finish becomes the tops of your lands.....mirror finish affect before we start the broaches on their job of cutting all the grooves.

Also, they use two of these 5-6 foot long broaches on each rifle barrel.
The first broach brings the rifling up to within .0020" of the final dimension.  The second broach having 15 cutters brings the rifling up the last .0020" to the final dimension.
This second broach has the last three cutters of the exact same size.   As cutter #13 makes the final tiny cut it is worn a bit.  Eventually cutter #13 will no longer bring the groove up to the final diameter so cutter #14 which has been doing no work, comes into play and handles that final cut.
#14 eventually wears a bit and cutter #15 which has done no work up to this time, comes into play and takes over making the final cut
Barrels are visually inspected using a borescope which projects the picture onto a large TV monitor.  Air gaging is performed to verify the rifling is within match grade tolerances (plus/minus .0002").
Per Dick Trenk - former Pedersoli Match Director

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 9:18am
Print Post  
In my most humble opinion,  there are three kinds of 
Sharpses:  originals, Shiloh, and all others.  I'm no longer a hard core competor but shoot 4-500 rounds each month.  I much perfer the fit and feel of original rifles.  The early Shiloh rifles were made very close to the originals.  I can't say for the current production as my "newest" Shiloh is over 25 years old.  C.Sharps makes an OK rifle, but I just don't care for theit "management attitude."  After handling a lot of originals, most of the Italian rifles feel like clubs to me.
George

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 10:27am
Print Post  
I get by the C. Sharps management attitude because their rifles is my experience have been better than the others. Had two shilohs one had to have the barrel cut back becuase of a trumpet shape in the bore and the other was completely rebuilt. Shiloh would not fix the trumpet barrel and even wanted to charge me for a new one...

That said, when ped gets any sort of customer service established it will be time to relook their wares, til then, caveat emptor. Only one I would recommend ped to is an enemy...

In my mind they don't even look like Sharps.

SS

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
I suspect that Pedersoli, like a LOT of other large mfgs no longer produces everything (other than high-dollar custom shop items) "in-house" as it may have done in the past.  The European economy including labor costs, inventory taxes, et al, have mandated that outside supplier subcontractors produce parts for fitting and assembly at the lowest possible cost while meeting the minimal threshold for QC.   I believe that it is difficult to compare imported arms from the Euro-zone to those made a decade ago under a different economic model.  I have looked at old production and new production and there seems to my eyes to be a significant difference.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

jeffer1942
Senior Forum Member
ASSRA Target Sales

Reply #25 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
I saw a special on Pedersoli within the past 6 months.  Everything from the wood, which is aged for a minimum of 7 years to the fitting, finishing, casting recievers, engraving, etc. is done "in house".  It was a fascinating story.  This is true of every item they sell.

IP Logged

JCHannum
Senior Forum Member

Reply #26 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
For your enjoyment, here are a couple of videos of Pedersoli manufacturing methods. The first is barrel making, the second stock making. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Jim H.

IP Logged

march41

Reply #27 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
It all comes down to how much jingles in your pockets.I have a shiloh #1 , c.sharps 74 , umberti highwall,and a browning 1885 bpcr.I tend to shoot the 1885bpcr the most.If I could keep only one it would be the 1885bpcr.The shiloh and c sharps are the best looking,the umberti is nice,But the browning feels the best for me?  I tend to date a rifle not marry it.That said, my friend has a ped.74 and it shoots!It has 400+ through it with no problems, just some trigger work ,Thanks Bob.
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2013 at 10:23pm by march41 »  

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
VERY GLAD to hear that Pedersoli is trying to keep to the old MFG ways.  Hope they can keep it up.

I wonder though if there is a different set of standards set for items built for private label sales.  I have seen some Pedersoli/Navy Arms replicas that were of less that stellar fit and finish.   Lee Shaver used to do a fair bit of business rebuilding Pedersoli sights for the BPCR group.

Too bad we have had such horror stories here on this site and others about international difficulty resolving QC problems

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 9:08am
Print Post  
Don't worrr - here o nthe other side of the pond we have the same issues with US manufacturers - and others too.  Distance and customs kill service - and up the price quite a lot...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint