Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Can anybody identify this? (Read 2918 times)
Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Can anybody identify this?
Jul 9th, 2008 at 9:26am
Print Post  
I am struggling with attaching pictures, but have finally managed to crop a photo of the bolt & lock top to a small enough size, (I hope).
I have owned this rifle for a few years. It appears to be a short, heavy octagonal barrelled percussion target rifle "made in the USA" but it is a breech loader with an outside hammer and a bolt.
Staggeringly well made and can be fulley stripped with a screwdriver, including unscrewing the barrel from the receiver after removing it from the stock.
The bore was rusty, the chamber was about the size of a 32 S&W long, but tapered--I failed to identify the calibre. I sleeved it and re-chambered for 32 S&W long and shoot it regularly at 50 yds.
It has double set triggers and the lock appears to be British--the internals scream "made in Birmingham". It has a Mauser type extractor, but appears to be made before Mauser patented the same.
Only marks are "JD" and "76".
Wotisit?
Over to you.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Re: Can anybody identify this?
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
I can't help with the rifle, but I can help with the photos.  I use:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

which is a free online tool.  You select and upload your photo, choose a few options (I normally use max dimension 600 and best quality), and then it will resize for you.  You can then download the photo which will have a new file name (it does not write over your original).  I use this all the time to resize photos for auctions, e-mails and forums.  If you need to get something down to a file size under 250K to post here it will do the job.

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the software tip: I tried it on the right hand side of the complete rifle: here it is.
Fred

IP Logged

Dave_Carpenter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
During the period of change from muzzle-loading to breech-loading there were 100’s of different designs.  Some were patented, many were not. With what little info you have, a good picture on how the action works might help,  I suggest that you work your way through the patents and if you think that “76” might be 1876, start there.  Key words search would be “Improvement in Breech-loading firearms” or some variation of that. Below is an example to get you started.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 7:26am
Print Post  
Quite incredible Dave: your patent example appears to be it exactly. The description of the extractor tallies and there is a small leaf spring in the front of the extractor groove which is shown in the illustration.
Thanks very much.
Fred.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint