Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Wind River barrels (Read 7428 times)
1fisher
Ex Member

Wind River barrels
Jun 27th, 2008 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Hi-
I'm new to this forum - joined the ASSRA just recently.
I have a winchester low wall that I would like to restore.  The receiver is from 1888 and is in very good shape (Patina with very little pitting).  Someone put a round barrel on it in .218 bee and did a really hack job of drilling hoes in it to mount a scope.  The gun originally had a 26" octagon barrel in .22WCF.  I would like to re-barrel with an octagon, probably in .22 hornet, and have the receiver refinished.  The wood is also very good shape and appears to be original.
Anybody have any experience with Wind River barrels? They say they are original winchester contours, so it should fit the forearm.   
I'm not looking for a perfect restoration, but i would like to get it close to original.
Thanks!

IP Logged

ken_hurst 910-221-5288
Ex Member

Re: Wind River barrels
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Stay as far away from Wind River as possible.  There are SOOO many people who have been taken by them that I lost count.  Also,   they don't make bbl's --- you can get the bbl's they are offering from Green Mountain bbl's of New Hampshire.  GM offers bbl's in the origional win. dimentions if you ask for them.

IP Logged

trev

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Track of the Wolf sells the Green Mountain barrels at prices slightly lower than the ones on the Green Mountain site, fwiw.

They are pretty decent folks to deal with, too, which helps.

Cheers
  Trev

IP Logged

1fisher
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info.  I have just started looking around and Wind River kept coming up as I search the web for replacement barrels.
I'll check out Green Mountain and am open to any other suggestions.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 12:01am
Print Post  
In the interests of not piling on, I wont comment on Wind River except to DITTO Ken!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

wildbill
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 10:23am
Print Post  
I've never heard of Wind River, but from what these guys say, listen to them! Green Mountain makes a great barrel, as does Badger Barrels from Wisconson. Give Earnie Stallman a call and check on availability, he does correct contours as well. I've got a Badger in a Hiwall Sillhouette, 45-70 #4 Half round 32 inch that shoots better than I do.

Bill

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Mr. 1fisher:

For what you describe you cannot do better than the Green Mountain barrel. They are very good, relatively inexpensive  and actually available. I recommend them without hesitation.

Glenn Fewless

IP Logged

BillOregon

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Aaaack!
I just bought one of the last two Wind River octagon .25-35 barrels that Brownells had in stock before discontinuing. It is being shipped to Taylor Machine in Washington, to fitted and chambered on a 1949 Marlin 336 action for the .25-35 WCF I seem to need so very desperately.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Wind River has had more name changes than you can shake a handful of sticks at.  Williams and Pokomoke are two that come to mind...  I've seen some very good shooting with their products, and some very, well, "poor results from good shooters" is the kindest phrase that I can come up with.  Bill, if the barrel doesn't shoot, send it back and make a big stink!   

David
Montezuma, IA
No longer associated with the B company down the street...  Huh

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

BillOregon

Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
David: Thanks for the advice. I sure will have my fingers crossed, as I expect a .25-35 to shoot very well indeed.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
If Brownells has it in stock, you're already way ahead! Brownells has admitted they've also had tough times getting barrels they ordered, so at least you found one in stock!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint