Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New rifles from Ballard LLC (Read 12051 times)
dave_j

Re: New rifles from Ballard LLC
Reply #15 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
well now that we have got the Brits all bashed and their dressed up Yankee cousins as well, lets get to the basics !  I want to see the upper crustys with their uber $$$$$ fowling pieces just try to keep their little pellets on a assra or issa target. i would bet last weeks lunch they could not even hit the target frame.
all in fun , my experience with Ballard has been good. they gave me good service and my Ballards shoot. if only i could !!what !!

ah heck  AA#9,4227,300MP, as long as it goes bang

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
I probably should have left the social commentary out of it, maybe I an just jealous of the tweed jackets!  But is difficult to explain the observation without some reference to sociology.  The observation is that the air gets pretty thin in the rifle market above 4 or 5 thousand dollars.  At that price the double gun guys are just getting going (new & used!).

The people at Shiloh have demonstrated that you can make and sell good quality rifles in volume for $2,500.  No one else has been really successful above that to my knowledge.  I don't have anything against Ballard, in fact I wish them every success.  I am just suspicious of any business plan involving selling high end rifles.

IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Maybe they could use a "Quigley goes to Africa" sequel to give sales a boost.  Grin

IP Logged

tom_ondrus
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
if anyone has checked out safari prices and esp big game trophy fees 
you'll find that it really a big boys game. yet there are enought people with deep pockets to keep the booking rates up. i wonder if these people have more money than brains . or is it a desire to "excel" and put a big one on the wall.

just recently an elephant was taken with a 45-70 and there is an sci record holder who hunts with a muzzloading rifle and has put a lot of animals in the  record book. but the category " taken with a muzzloader " has few entries and i suspect many of those categories were set up to accomodate this front stuffer.

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Let me add another factor that may contribute to the primacy of high end shotguns over fancy rifles.    Big game hunting is a semi-solitary activity.   You are out in the woods by yourself, or in the mountains with a guide and perhaps one buddy.   There is no big bunch to show off your custom rifle to.   With the smoothbore, on the contrary, there is often a group of shooters gathered together, either for clay bird work or crossing a field for upland birds.   There is much more scope for one=upmanship and displaying what Thorsten Veblen called (Theory of the Liesure Class 1902) conspicious consumption.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
  There is no big bunch to show off your custom rifle to.   With the smoothbore, on the contrary, there is often a group of shooters gathered together, either for clay bird work or crossing a field for upland birds.   There is much more scope for one=upmanship and displaying what Thorsten Veblen called (Theory of the Liesure Class 1902) conspicious consumption.

I agree completely. Plus, the birds don't usually involve either actual extreme physical exertion or actual extreme physical danger, two conditions that many of The Leisure Class seem to find at least moderately distasteful if not downright bourgeois, or 'common' as we say here in the South. My, my, the very idea!
I beg your pardon, my reverse snobbery is showing, Joe

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
[quote author=J.D.Steele link=1214398999/20#20 date=1215806365
I agree completely. Plus, the birds don't usually involve either actual extreme physical exertion or actual extreme physical danger [/quote]

I don't know what extreme physical danger you are refering to - danger to the gun or the hunter.  If the former, I would argue, with data, that bird hunting is far more dangerous for the firearm than is rifle hunting.   

I've busted more gunstocks on shotties than rifles.  Taken more face plants while doing it, and twisted more ankles.  I can't say either type of hunting has been particularly life-threatening however.   

Brent

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Brent, I wuz snidely comparing a quail hunt or pheasant drive (shotguns) with a Kodiak hunt or elephant control (rifles). Last time I checked, bird hunting wasn't very dangerous unless you were hunting with Vice-President Cheney (ouch! & VBG).
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
In that case you are probably right but I wonder even at that.  Lots of bird hunters seem intent on shooting themselves and each other.  But I will concede the point that the game does get a bit more earnest with regard to the eye-for-an-eye stuff.   

Time to go back to loading bullets....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint