Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bullet trap (Read 3372 times)
whitey hanson
Ex Member

Bullet trap
Jun 21st, 2008 at 7:34am
Print Post  
Does anyone have a set of drawings or plans for building a heavy duty Bullet Trap. Would be happy to pay for any copying cost etc.Please PM or Email. Thanks Whitey

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Bullet trap
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2008 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Whitey, I'm still looking for the reprint booklet I mentioned, but as yet, no Joy!  Cry

Maybe somebody else has a copy of the reprint booklet that the NRA used to sell covering range building, backstops, etc and would be willing to dig it out and make a copy of the pertinent info for Whitey?  Surely I'm not the only one who ever bought it, am I?  (Maybe I am, and that's why we can't find it!  Roll Eyes )

Froggie

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Quote:
Does anyone have a set of drawings or plans for building a heavy duty Bullet Trap. Would be happy to pay for any copying cost etc.Please PM or Email. Thanks Whitey

When I get back home (Virginia (am in Iowa now) ) I can send pix of my old snail-shell bullet trap.  Has a 2' x 2' entrance, cones down to 2"x 2" with flat plates and has a 'snail shell' gizmo that lets bullets grind themselves up slowing down to a stop.  Handles full house 44 mag loads well.  Please advise.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 9:46am
Print Post  
I got involved in building an indoor bullet trap around 1980. The range was about 20' wide: we removed a few bricks from each side at head height and cemented in a old truck sidemember channel to run across the range, flanges facing in the direction of fire. 8' x 4' sheets of 5/8" thick steel were then laid on to the sidemember bottom flange to form an angle of 45 degrees with the ground. The plates were electric welded together and triangles of 1/4" plate were welded in to close each side. Old railway sleepers were laid along the ground and covered in 1/2 plate on the side away from the shooters: these protected the floor level strip lights. The plates weighed 747lbs each and we did well to get them into place without injury!
When first used, the bullet trap rang like an enormous bell. The back surface was then covered in old concrete paving slabs which stopped the ringing.
I now live a few hours drive away, but I paid a visit to the range in 2004 and the bullet trap has been  completely trouble free.
Fred.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
two pix.
One from above (side of trap) ring is so that it can be swiveled.  Opening is about 20" square.  (OK it's burried in junk in the 3rd floor store room.)

Other pix is of the CAST IRON snail shell.  Opening underneith (disk acting as door is missing, so it's on its side and bullets circulate grinding themselves to powder and pellets which drop harmlessly into the coffee can under it.)

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 9:17pm
Print Post