Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Falling Block Works [FBW] Prints or Views (Read 14199 times)
Bruce_S
Participating Member

Falling Block Works [FBW] Prints or Views
Jun 18th, 2008 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
I have been looking at patent pictures and "searches" to find a simple design to try building. 

I found a side view of a FBW Model J...........not many parts but I need an end and top view. 

Not quite sure how the ejector works. The block drops, hits the 'hook' pushing the ejector back, but does it move sideways for reloading?

Are there any plans or prints available to buy for the Model J ?

Thanks,
Bruce

IP Logged

trev

Re: Falling Block Works [FBW] Prints or Views
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
You need to find a copy of the DeHaas book, Mr. Single Shot's Gunsmithing Idea Book.

He covers the details of the different models, though not to the extent that he has for many of the rest of the single shots he wrote about (no scaled layouts of parts, for instance) but he does go into the exctractor, and making it work with rimless cases (almost all of the FBW actions were meant for rimmed cases)

So far, that has been the best info I have found.

After that, it comes down to finding one and measuring parts. I don't think there was any patents in place. Other than that, your main bet would be to track down one of the principals of the company that made them, and see if you can talk them out of the plans, or buy the rights.

Cheers
  Trev

(who kinda has the itch for a small single shot in a Hornet or K Hornet)

IP Logged

Bruce_S
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Trev,

Thanks for the name of the book, I also am ordering the book of plans from Mark.

Bruce

IP Logged

mdeland
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
  I have a model J on my competition 45-70 and made a new ejector. It does not move to the side in the original design. I have some side view pictures of all five models of these (Fisk)  Falling Block Works actions. 
  Mine I got new in the box when I bought my gun shop from a fella in Valdez Alaska in 1980. The receipt had a price of 175.00 on it. It is made of 4140 chrome-moly investment cast and has one of the best simple triggers ever devised on it. Mine breaks cleanly at 13 oz. They have a rebound firing pin under a bushing in the breech block and no tang for easy stock fitting. They are at least as strong as a Winchester Highwall maybe more so with the improved firing pin design.
   I had to make a saddle mount for my tang vernier sight that sits on the back of the  action wrist just behind the hammer. Looks a lot like the one seen on Martini Cadets and is in fact were I got the idea. MD

IP Logged

Bruce_S
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I found this side view.

I am finding out the price to have the block slots cut on a wire EDM. 

......................and the hammer, trigger and lever.

Have you bought steel lately? WOW!!!!

Hope the link works.

Bruce

IP Logged

trev

Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Wow indeed!

Look at 8620 if you are interested in color  case hardening the action or parts, and 4140 pre-hard, if you are looking to skip heat treatment altogether. Both of those are most commonly found as round bar stock.
Neither is particularly cheap, but if you are going to put a lot of effort into it, the materials may well be the least expensive part of the project. Cheesy

The DeHaas plans are interesting, though some of the designs are less than esthetically pleasing, to my eye. Good solutions to how to get the most out of a really basic shop, though.

Cheers
  Trev

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 10:39am
Print Post  
trev wrote on Jun 20th, 2008 at 8:14am:
  The DeHaas plans are interesting, though some of the designs are less than esthetically pleasing, to my eye. Good solutions to how to get the most out of a really basic shop, though.  Trev

Amen.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Bruce_S
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Well, I have access to a wire feed EDM.............now I want to mill a slot in some Cold Roll and build a "proto type" to figure out, size and lengths of linkage and pin locations.......

Might make a hammer and trigger on the ProtoTrak, but first I need to figure all the Radius and angles...............and lever.

Speed Metals carry most of the 4140 [annealed], and they also sell it by the Inch.

I figured out how the ejector works, even found the rimless conversion in the RIFLE magazine.

OH DARN,............................already thinking about a 40-90!

Might have to make a bigger one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does it ever end?

Bruce

IP Logged

trev

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Nope! Never ends!

You say that like it's a bad thing!  Grin

Wire EDM, eh?

Lucky sonofagun! That can make soooooo many impossible jobs, easy.

Scaling the design up or down is not a big deal either.

Now, if a guy were to set up his prototype, so that he could use long dowel pins through the action, then use the pins as pivot points to run the internals on, externally.... Or a guy could resort to such nefarious means as using a CadCam system to figure out all the fits and sizes....but that's almost cheating, innit?

Cheers
  Trev

IP Logged

Bruce_S
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
trev,

This might be a good reason to learn CAD, never too late!

By using the pin locations, you could size and shape the parts to fit!

Back to school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I have a spare 40-90 barrel.

But first, I would like to build a 17 AH.

Bruce

IP Logged

trev

Reply #10 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 12:02am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The fellow has a rifle, not an FBW action, that has all the hallmarks of one, inside. 
The maker built tangs onto it, which pleases some, and possibly not others, but hey, it looks good to me!

You ever seen the Saubier forum? It was an old "For Sale" post there that got me started looking hard at the FBW guns in the first place.
If you care to look at it, search the term "falling block custom ackley" and you should have no trouble picking it out. 

Lot's of good info on the really small bores over there, too. Interesting stuff!

Cheers
  Trev

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 7:37am
Print Post  
i have three of the mod j and would like more. i saw some where on another site senior moment do not remember where some one tied to the maker had some parts etc but like i said senior moment i will look tonight to see if i can find where i wrote it down.
i have one of them in 32-40 one in 30 schwartz, and a majkor delima with what to do with #3 i just bought it last xmas, hasnever had a barrel in it and it is blued!
i do have a digital camera, and oh did i mention I am a tool and die machinist! ge if there are some numbers you need. let me know.
irish

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
For what it is worth: 
One of our ASSRA members, a gunsmith from the general toledo Ohio area made or makes some of the FBW actions which he sells as a kit and occasionally as an assembled action.  I'm not sure of the spelling but I believe his name is Karl Knoblach or something similar. At one point I had his contact info but I've mislaid it. He usually comes to the Spring 22 shoot and often has an action or a kit or two for sale.  He is active in other shooting genres so his appearance at EG is a bit sporadic.

A couple years ago I bought one of the real small tangless ones and had it barrelled for the 17 Mach IV/ .17 fireball cartridge.  it is a very nice good quality action

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Bruce_S
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
trev, Thanks for the link to the pictures, I saved the to one of my 'Falling Block' folders!

irish66, Thank You, for your offer.......will send e-mail.

DWS8130, and a Thanks to you also!

IP Logged

JCHannum
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Jun 25th, 2008 at 12:20pm:
For what it is worth: 
One of our ASSRA members, a gunsmith from the general toledo Ohio area made or makes some of the FBW actions which he sells as a kit and occasionally as an assembled action.  I'm not sure of the spelling but I believe his name is Karl Knoblach or something similar. At one point I had his contact info but I've mislaid it. He usually comes to the Spring 22 shoot and often has an action or a kit or two for sale.  He is active in other shooting genres so his appearance at EG is a bit sporadic.

A couple years ago I bought one of the real small tangless ones and had it barrelled for the 17 Mach IV/ .17 fireball cartridge.  it is a very nice good quality action

« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2013 at 9:42am by JCHannum »  

Jim H.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint