Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fraser Highlander (Read 7199 times)
trev

Fraser Highlander
Jun 11th, 2008 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Quite a while back, I was trying to ID a rifle that I had regretted not buying when I had a chance.

I have gathered (tentatively) some information that leads me to believe that the rifle was one of the Fraser Highlander rifle kits, as sold by Cape Outfitters some years ago.

Anyone got one that they could take a picture or two of?

Apparently, Armi San Marco, the Italian arms maker, built these, for an American entrepreneur, who subsequently spent a great deal of time and money making right, the things that got mucked up in the making. The story goes, that he got shut of that lot of rifles, by selling the whole lot to Cape Giradeau (spelling?) Outfitters, who sold them off as kits, thus avoiding the responsibility to the consumer to make good on the technical issues inherent in the making.

Apparently DeHaas did not think terribly highly of this one.

Funny enough, I am still quite interested in one of these actions/rifles, though I would prefer to track one down, on this side of the border. 

I am told that there is a write-up on them in the DeHaas book, A Potpourri of Single Shot Rifles and Actions.

Could I trouble someone to check and give me a confirmation, and perhaps a report on what info is present (drawings, scaled photo?). I have to do some book shopping in the near future, and this may be a candidate. Smiley

Thanks
  Trev Jones

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Fraser Highlander
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Trev, back about 1990 or so there was an extensive write-up from deHaas in what was then called the ASSRA News.  If you contact archivist Rudi Prusok, he can provide you with a copy of the article.

HTH, Froggie

PS A local friend of mine had one of the CF kits, IIRC, but I don't know what he ever did with it.  I'll try to remember to ask him.  GF

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Yes, your info is largely correct. The Highlander action was apparently a POS, as de Haas indicated in his writeup; the owner of Cape Outfitters (in Cape Girardeau, MO), now deceased, bought these and actually threatened de Haas with a lawsuit over his unflattering review. Nothing ever came of this, as I remember, since the action was indeed less than satisfactory.

I believe Thad Scott of Indianola, MS is the present owner of the Daniel Fraser rights; at one time he was friendly with the owner of Cape Outfitters but I don't know if this extended to the Highlander action. Thad is a 'special person' and semi-retired; he may actually even deign to converse with you if you call, but I wouldn't count upon any display of the usual Southern graciousness & good manners. He has many, many very high quality UK & Continental rifles and double guns in his concrete walk-in 400-sf vault, it's well worth a visit if you're ever in the area.

The little Highlander action is quite visually attractive but apparently many folks have tried to get it to operate properly without much if any success. IMO it's best avoided.
Good luck but caveat emptor, Joe

IP Logged

tom_ondrus
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:26am
Print Post  

RE:  THAD SCOTT FINE GUNS - INDIANOLA, MS

I  believe Thad has sold off his inventory and closed his business.

he has lou gehrings disease and is trying to handle it.

must be how you treat people is how they treat you.

Thad was always a gentleman with me.  i visited him in  his shop, at his camp while he was elephant hunting, and i  hunted with his son in zimbabwe.
i'm not saying " i know him" - i'm saying  "he knows me "
think on that one a bit !
=============================================

FRASER RIFLE KIT

i have an unfinished kit in my vault.  next time at the shop i'll try to remember to photograph it for you.  if you don't hear from me call me at 814 859 0008 to remind me.  tom ondrus

the quality of the kit was not great but it could be made to function and look decent. they closed out the kits at a cheap price - maybe $80 including wood.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Regarding Thad Scott;

I did business with him a couple years ago on a left handed anschutz.. I was very pleased with my contact with him.

Buddy of mine, just yesterday, contacted him about an Anschutz (former european "club gun") that he had listed on some site or other...

As of a couple weeks ago, his web site was closed up... but it appears that he's still in the process of disposing of inventory.

I can't get to his web site from here at work (web filters) to see if anything has changed though.

I wish him all the best! 

Paul F.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
I've known and dealt with Thad for many, many years and stand by what I said, his place is right up the road from me and he used to exhibit at every big gun show around here. He's always been polite but definitely cold and distant compared to most true Southerners I know. As I said, he's now semi-retired but still does some high-$ business by appointment. Probably closing out his stock. According to George the Knifemaker, Thad is expecting one last container of rifles from the UK late in the summer. This info is current as of about 1 mo ago. A mutual friend (& fellow single shot enthusiast) went to Africa with Thad last year and told me a month ago that Thad wasn't doing very well but still getting around OK. BTW the last time I was up there, he had some mighty nice original larger-bore Daniel Fraser single shot rifles for sale, among others.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
His website ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)) opens just fine for me and was updated 4 June 08.  Lots of Martinis, but no Fraser that I noticed.

Brent

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint