Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stevens Fav. Rebarrel (Read 3805 times)
MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Stevens Fav. Rebarrel
Jun 4th, 2008 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
I know there has been discussion about a favorite and if it can be competetive if rebarreled. Has anyone had any luck with this? I know that they are a slip fit and not threaded and that is an area of question with their accuracy. 
Has anyone out there in singleshot land done this, made one a good shooter?
You have probablly guessed by now that I am thinking about trying it, but would like some input from the masses. The gun I have is tight and has a nice let off but the chamber is sloppy and the extractor hammered over. The gun needs a new barrel anyhow.  Green mt makes a 1.06 dia. .22 blank. I can leave it heavey, or thin it up. I am leaning towards heavey. 
What should I look out for?
Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens Fav. Rebarrel
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Use a snug fit on the barrel shank, and when you final assemble it, use a schmear of cream cheese, er, eopxy, on the shank.   Wink  Use a thin coat of Johnson's paste floor wax on the inside and face of the action to allow you to disassemble it later.  This will take out all possible movement from the barrel to the action.  I use the same method when fitting up Ruger 10-22 barrels that will (hopefully) shoot sub 1/2 min. groups.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Hey Merwin !!!

My “95” Favorite has been in the family for many years but like so many others, the bore had long been shot-out since Moby Dick was a Guppy !!! 

Sooo, three years ago I found out that the slip-fit Mossberg barrel’s fit in like a “hand in glove”.. Just need to file an extractor slot, grind the notch for the lock screw and D & T for the forestock screw. 

I installed a $10.00 26-inch Accra-Groove barrel and fit a 4-X scope for my old eye’s.. Save the original stuff for the collector’s yarns.

Gotta love them old Favorites !!!

Ed….

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
I've got one that I put a Remington barrel on that somebody gave me. It was a new target barrel marked "US Gov. Property" with a Parkerized finish.
At that time "Precision Shooting" ran an article about reworking 3 different bolt guns (Win. 52 was one) to make competition 50yd. rifles. I shot better groups with that Favorite than they did with any of their reworks right away with a Weaver B6 scope. I did use a match reamer.
The satisfaction you'll get from beating a high dollar rifle with a Favorite will be priceless. Go for it!

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

vsig
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Merwin B  I am a retired gunsmith'many years ago a man by the name of Reed Myers wanted to do this very thing. we put a Douglas prem .grade brl. on it 'chambered with my match reamer.He shot a lot' couldnt keep screws' pins or fire pins it .I wound up making every thing out of tool steel and putting a taper pin in the reciever to keep the brl. tight.There used to be a 22 bench  match around Springfield Mo. thatReed shot at' the first time he showed up'they laughedat him' but only the First time. the rifle  beat 52's anchutz'and any thing el se they wanted to shoot.Just use a good brl.'make all pins and screws out of drill rod and pin the brl wont hurt.  Verl

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply's, encouraging for sure. Part of what makes this appealing to me is I have everything but the barrel. If I need to replace pins I can do that. I have a match reamer that has only cut one chamber. 
I have a green mt on my 44.5 that seems to shoot nice, it is me that is the problem, and the recently reworked trigger I haven;t had a chance to try yet.
Does anyone have experience with their .22 barrels? It is affordable and a good size to start with.  Both being key for my limited lathe experiences, still learning. I know they are gaining reputation in center fire, but the smaller the hole, the faster things can go wrong!
Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
I've used GM bbls for years, both RF and CF, and have no complaints about their accuracy especially for the price. However I'd be absolutely astounded if a GM RF bbl would shoot with a Lilja for instance, or any of the other top RF makers. Some years ago I built 4 Ruger 10/22s with aftermarket bbls; one was a GM and it was very accurate but wouldn't quite shoot with either of the Volquartsens, close but not quite.

For a single shot rifle it's hard to beat the GM light octagon style; I recently turned one down to 1/2 octagon with a wedding band & rib and IMO it looks super.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint