Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic firing pin retractor on Stevens 44.5 (Read 7104 times)
hms50
Ex Member

firing pin retractor on Stevens 44.5
Jun 2nd, 2008 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Good afternoon gentlemen, 
I recently purchased a Stevens 45 Range Rifle with a 44.5 action, full octagon barrel in 32/40.  You may have seen it listed on GunsAmerica.  It is in super condition (much better than the photos show) with full original blue and 80-90% case colors.  The bore is mint and I intend to shoot some cast bullets through it this summer.  My question is this,  the rifle has a firing pin retractor.  Not a spring as the firing pin will stay in the fired position when pushed down with a finger.  When the under lever first starts to move and before the breech block moves, the pin retracts.  De Haas mentions that late 44.5 actions have a retractor.  Ned Roberts mentions having this feature added.  How can I tell if this is factory or a later addition?  Does the serial number give any indication at all as to date of manufacture?
(11,0xx )  It will be awhile before I dare take the action apart to look at the retractor but it will happen eventually.

By the way, First Stop Gun was great to work with.  The rifle is in my opinion much better than described.  I will buy from them again.

Thanks,
hms50

IP Logged

ACGould

Re: firing pin retractor on Stevens 44.5
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Hi,
Generally Stevens numbers are of no help in dating your rifle.  Numbering seems to have been very inconsistent.  Also, since there are no factory records, you couldn't look it up anyway!  I've owned about 40 Stevens 44.5 action rifles over the last 50 years.  About ten of them had the mechanical firing pin retractor.  Chances are that if your's has it, it was made that way at the factory.  I suspect it was an attempt to improve the tendency of the 44.5 action to break firing pins.  In my experience, they break about as frequently with or without the retractor.   

Good luck in buying that rifle!  I saw the listing and it didn't sound that exciting.  Just goes to show that you never can tell.  For sure way better than finding that it wasn't anywhere near as good as described by the seller!

Cheers, 

Leon

IP Logged

hms50
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Wow!  thats a lot of 44.5's!  Do you get replacement firing pins from CVA?  Did any of yours without set  triggers have a fly on the hammer?  De Haas mentions that some were set-up that way.  Before long the old girl will bark again, a mold is on the way...

Thanks again
hms50

IP Logged

ACGould

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Hi,
I've never tried firing pins from CPA.  Stevens 44.5 pins are easy to make if you have a lathe or a buddy who has one.  Either make a new pin or face off the tip on the old one, drill it, and press in a new tip (we use wire spring stock from Brownells).  Lasalle Stressproof makes excellent firing pins and is also available from Brownell (I think!?). Yes, I remember one Model 47 with single trigger but larger dst trigger guard (full loop lever) and fly for dst but only a single trigger.  It was most likely a special factory order as it also had fancy factory checkered wood.  I got a replacement dst from Ken Bresien so that I could shoot the rifle with either trigger!
Have fun, 
Leon

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 10:02am
Print Post  
My 44.5 is serial number 92xx, and has the retractor and fly. It is an IDEAL rifle, standard in every way, in 32-40. moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Had been watching that gun on GunsAmericia. Thought it was realy nice but a little pricy. This is a step above your basic 44 1/2 though and there are a limited number of 44 1/2's out there. I think you did ok. The prices on these go up, not down. My thoughts are if you like it, want it, and can afford it, then buy it and enjoy it. I have a decent 44 1/2 in .32-40 with a good but not mint bore that shoots well for me. Think I paid $1100 at Kansas City in January and thought I did well. Considering the model and condition you probably did OK. Mine did have a Lyman 2A sight also. I have bought some really nice and/or rare guns and paid what I thought was too much at the time. Looking back, I have never regretted those purchases. Enjoy!

IP Logged

hms50
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the kind words and the information.  I've wanted a 44.5 since I was a kid.  I also thought the asking price was a little high but the local gun shows never seem to have any.  When the rifle arrived all doubt was gone.  It's in amazing condition and should be a ball to shoot.

hms50

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 12:08am
Print Post  
How many 44 1/2 rifle actions did Stevens make?  In all models.

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 11:33am
Print Post  
waterman;
                Stevens made about 12-13000  44 1/2  rifles, so I've been told.   leadball

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 12:49am
Print Post  
I recall seeing 10,000 to 12,000 somewhere but because of the fact that the records were destroyed or lost, no one knows for sure. From what I see there are not a lot out there compared to the 44 actons. Wish I could afford to buy up everyone I find and corner the market! Kidding about corrnering the market. It would do me no good because I would be reluctant to sell any!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint