Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic An odd .22 rimfire chamber (Read 2864 times)
waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

An odd .22 rimfire chamber
May 31st, 2008 at 2:01am
Print Post  
I spent a few hours over the last couple of weeks scrubbing on a Farrow barrel.  It's a .22 rimfire.  It looks to be a 12-groove, but even with a magnifying glass, all those grooves in that little bitty hole are hard to count.  What's odd is the chamber or lack thereof.  It is just a smooth tube, with no real end and no leade, unless the entire chamber is the leade.  The rifling starts about the length of a .22 LR case from the breech and a loaded .22 LR enters smoothly and extracts normally.  Twist is a uniform 16", so it seems to me that it is intended for 40 grain bullets.  I know that in the BP days, both the .22 Short and the .22 LR were loaded with 40 grain bullets.

Has anyone encountered a chamber like the one I described?  Will such a barrel shoot OK with modern match ammo?  Something is amiss with the mainspring & hammer, or I'd answer the latter question at the range.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: An odd .22 rimfire chamber
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2008 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Waterman, 

Even in the BP loadings, the .22 Short had a smaller (weight) bullet than the .22 Long Rifle, and that shorter bullet length called for a slower twist.  The 1-in-16" twist of your barrel suggests that it was indeed a LR barrel from the beginning.  Since the outside lubed .22 bullet is case diameter which is also about groove diameter, I'm guessing that the chamber you have is what is supposed to be there, especially if it functions well and is accurate (for its condition and with proper ammo.)  Smiley

Two questions... first, does a loaded round extract smoothly and does it show engraving on the bullet when it does (indicating that all is as it should be)  Second, does the rifle show signs of a lot of use, or could it have been a closet queen that just wouldn't shoot well because Farrow failed to finish chambering it?  This second question assumes that the answer to the first is no and that it is not as accurate as it should be.  Undecided

I would clean the bore very carefully but thoroughly and test the rifle with a variety of good ammo before making any assumptions or decisions. Of course that means fixing the mainspring and hammer, but you want to do that anyway, right?   JMHO, of course but that's what I would do!  Cool

Froggie
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2008 at 7:59am by Green_Frog »  

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2008 at 10:14am
Print Post  
I chambered a loaded round of CCI Green Tag and closed the lever.  The cartridge extracted easily and had the barest hint of rifling marks on the front part of the full-diameter part of the bullet.  Unfortunately, the rifling impression was not uniform.  Sad  I'll try other brands later.  It's a morning for the range.

I learned that with a Farrow, you must be careful to keep the rim of the cartridge behind the extractor and let the breech block chamber the cartridge.  Wink  Has it been shot a lot?  The bore seems sort of frosted for 3 or 4 inches in front of the chamber, but perhaps I still have to clean some more.   Undecided

The rifle has seen some abuse.  Farrows had an integral tang sight base built into the action. The rocker part of the tang sight fit into this base, held in place by the normal sort of screw functioning as a pivot pin.  Some oaf broke off the tang sight, leaving the sharp broken end of the tang sight stem. Angry  There is a scratch on the outside of the barrel near the breech that looks as if it was made with an old-time church key.  And someone made off with the buttplate and the inserts to the Winchester globe front sight.  Angry  I tried replacing the broken tang sight stem with one from a Parts Unknown sight.  It looks as if a bit of work with a stone is needed, but it can be made to fit.

I took off the buttstock.  If I close the breech with the buttstock removed, the hammer falls very slowly when I pull the trigger.  I'm still working up my courage to take disassembly further.  Looks as if the gunk of the ages is in there.  But how many Farrows does one see?  I think all is restorable.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2008 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
My Farrow had a hollow hammer with a C-shaped mainspring fitting inside it; it's probably filled with crud on yours. Some of the later ones used (or were converted to take) a coil mainspring.

A word to the wise: be EXTREMELY careful when manipulating this C-shaped mainspring, it's easy to break and I'll guarantee that you'll regret it.

How do I know this? Don't ask, the experience is still quite memorable enough without being reminded...

I'd suggest the liberal use of an aerosol solvent along with some pipe cleaners or some such to clean out the hammer recess without having to remove the mainspring (if you're lucky).
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint