Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic front sight (Read 2337 times)
dirtdog
Ex Member

front sight
May 27th, 2008 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
I have a Pedersoli 1874 and I would like to change the front blade to a lyman globe. Which way do I drift and will the lyman have to be fitted. Is this a DIY job? Thanks

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Re: front sight
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2008 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
The standard is to drive in from the right and drive out on the left.  Even if it is an Italian gun, can see no reason why it should be any different.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

mdeland
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2008 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
  Easy way to check is to mic both sides of the dovetail male and drive out the opposite way of the narrow side. Most are not tapered any way but usually one side will be a thousands or so narrower than the other. 
  Put the barrel in a padded vice as close to the dovetail as practical and support the stock end with a prop stand. Use a nylon drift if you can or an electrician taped brass one if it is stubborn. I like a two pound hammer with some weight as the momentum will get things moving better than a bunch of tapping with a light hammer. Be sure to check for a lock screw under the blade before trying to drift it out. Some are loc-tited on and will need a bit of heat. MD

IP Logged

mriisj assra Life

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2008 at 7:00am
Print Post  
When I replaced mine on my Pedersoli RB I notch it out from left to right, I chose the Kelley frontsight instadt of the Uberti due to the quallity.

Michael

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint