Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How do get the breach block (Read 10095 times)
dirtdog
Ex Member

How do get the breach block
May 16th, 2008 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
BACK IN? I took apart my new Pedersoli 1874 business rifle to do an intial cleaning and Im having an impossible time reassembling it. The takedown pin and the lever and the block will not fit. Theres got to be an easy way to do this as you would take it apart for cleaning. Help!!!

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Re: How do get the breach block
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2008 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
How far can you get?  Without more descriptions of the problem, it is hard to know what to suggest.  

Can you get the block fully into the breech?

Can you do this with the extractor in place too?  
If yes to the first and no to the second, then the issue may be that you have not found the sweet spot to hold the extractor while inserting the block.  Keep fiddlin' with the block about 2/3s of the way in.  Watching from the top of the receiver as you do this may help.

Can you get the pin almost all the way home or only a very short fraction of the total distance?  

You should insert the pin when the lever more or less vertical.  If you can get the pin in only a short way, I am betting you are holding the lever in the up position.

If you can get it most of the way in, then I would wager you have the pin at the wrong angle.  The pin should be rotated so that the lever is pointing close to straight forward.  This will allow the flange at the base of the pin to clear the bump-out on the receiver.  When the pin is fully inserted, the lever is rotated about 90 degrees to straight up and this will lock it in place with the flange sliding into the groove in the receiver.

Those are my best guesses until you you tell us more.  

Brent

Let me add, if you can't get the block in with these instructions, then one more thing - can you get the pin in w/o the block or extractor?
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2008 at 2:01pm by »  

IP Logged

dirtdog
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2008 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
The pin is thru the first hole and almost thru the lever and is hanging up where it meets the second hole in the receiver. Ive tried the different positions but it doesnt want to fit.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2008 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
dd, I modifidied my post above.  Check that you have the pin's lever pointing forward or even a little downward from straight forward.  Watch where the eccentric lip on the lever fits into the groove in the receiver's bump out.   

Brent

IP Logged

dirtdog
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 16th, 2008 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
I can get the pin in all th way without the block or extractor. I can get the pin in all the way with the extractor. I cannot get the pin in all the way with both the block and extractor. It goes thru the first hole, thru the lever and hangs up when the pin meets the second hole. I would think it is an alignment issue but Ive jiggled and moved the lever around and tried open /closed/ foward/ backword NO dice. It shouldnt take an act of congress to remove and reinstall the block.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 16th, 2008 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
How about relaxing the lever tension spring?
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

dirtdog
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 16th, 2008 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Is that the spring that is under neeth the forearm, and how would I do that?

IP Logged

dirtdog
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 16th, 2008 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
I loosned the lever spring and I was able to reassemble the rifle. I dont think you should have to do that every time to clean or lube. Is there a specific tension that spring should be under. Maybe it was too tight or too loose. Thoughts?

IP Logged

dirtdog
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2008 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all your help, Brent I did remove the forearm and losened the tension on the spring which allowed me to insert the pin all the way. I didnt understand your comment on the screw being too tight or too loose. Could you please explain ?
Roger (Im Learning!)

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #9 - May 16th, 2008 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Mr. Dirtdog,

I have a very nice old highwall that someone took apart but couldn't get back together, so they started wanging on the bottom of the breecblock with a hammer. What our hero (I think I know who he is) couldn't figure out was that Winchesters have a firing pin retractor and so you have to shift the lever forward a little so the the hammer falls against the block, and then the breech slides in hammer and all. I don't know if your rifle has a retractor or not, but please don't get mad and beat on your gun, there must be some way to get it together.

Bob

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 16th, 2008 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks for all your help, Brent I did remove the forearm and losened the tension on the spring which allowed me to insert the pin all the way. I didnt understand your comment on the screw being too tight or too loose. Could you please explain ?
Roger (Im Learning!)

I'm not too sure either.  I don't recall writing anything about a screw to tight or loose, but I deleted one post as I sent it just as you posted that you got the block in.  Sorry for the confusion.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 16th, 2008 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
It was my post.

Later Sharps designs like the Borchardt had special long-headed lever spring screws with slotted heads that projected up level with the surface of the wood, for external loosening & retightening during field-stripping. A very strong and determined person might be able to assemble a sidehammer with the spring tight, but.....of course you might get away with tapering the nose of the pin enough to be able to brute-force it into place.

Please be advised that this spring is, historically, one of the two weakest points of your action. Sidehammer Sharps of most persuasions have a rep for breaking this spring and the firing pin, so please don't be surprised if it happens. A simple approach might be to provide a leather or rubber shim under the spring, along with possibly a slightly-relaxed screw tension, to reduce the tendency toward breakage.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - May 16th, 2008 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
I have a Pedersoli Sharps and I also had to leave the lever spring a little bit loose on the screw in order to get things back together again.  I don't have to do this with my Garrett Sharps Carbine, bought in 1985 or so.  The spring on that one looks more "traditional" and seems to flex more.  (It also broke and needed to be replaced.)  The one on the Pedersoli looks more like a modern stamped-out part and is at least twice as strong as the one on the Garrett; unnecessarily strong IMO, since all it has to do is hold the lever up.

I have a replacement for the Pedersoli on order, just in case.

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - May 16th, 2008 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
I went through the same anguish when I first took down and then reassembled my Shiloh '74.  I could not understand why the designers back in the 1800s would put that nice little "button" on the side of the action to rotate and remove the lever pin and then make it so diificult to get back together.  I decided it was time well spent removing the forearm and lever spring anytme I had to remove and reinstal the breach block.  It almost jumps in by itself with that spring out of the way Wink  THOP

thop

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 17th, 2008 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Seems somethinglike trying to get a Martini breechblock in from the top - can be done, but you need to know the tricks, and do everything right...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint