Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How do get the breach block (Read 10110 times)
montana_charlie

Re: How do get the breach block
Reply #15 - May 18th, 2008 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I loosned the lever spring and I was able to reassemble the rifle. I dont think you should have to do that every time to clean or lube. Is there a specific tension that spring should be under. Maybe it was too tight or too loose. Thoughts?
I adjust the screw on my (Pedersoli) lever spring just tight enough to make the lever stay in firm contact with the trigger bar when the action is closed.

Keeping the lever up is all I want that spring to do.  I don't need it tight enough to throw an empty clear of the action, if I let the lever slam open.

I put a dab of 'purple' LockTite on the screw to keep it from changing it's tension.

With the screw adjusted this way, there is no pressure at all against the lever when it's open...or when trying to reassemble the breechblock.
CM

Retired...twice.  Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Re: How do get the breach block
Reply #16 - May 19th, 2008 at 6:02am
Print Post  
thop wrote on May 16th, 2008 at 9:31pm:
I went through the same anguish when I first took down and then reassembled my Shiloh '74.  I could not understand why the designers back in the 1800s would put that nice little "button" on the side of the action to rotate and remove the lever pin and then make it so diificult to get back together.  I decided it was time well spent removing the forearm and lever spring anytme I had to remove and reinstal the breach block.  It almost jumps in by itself with that spring out of the way Wink  THOP

I have never had any problem of that nature in re-assembling my Shiloh. "Timing" the extractor-block insertion is the only thing a bit tricky about re-assembly but it is not that hard.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint