Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) help me pick out sights (Read 8879 times)
dirtdog
Ex Member

help me pick out sights
May 5th, 2008 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Just bought a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps business rifle. I want imput on agood tang sight and front globe that will not break the bank.Thanks

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Re: help me pick out sights
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2008 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
I have a "Parts Unknown" (Ukranian made, from Buffalo Arms) Soule type sight on my Eye-Talian Sharps, and I like the sight better than I like the rifle.

For a front sight, I have my eye on (no pun intended) a Kelley adjustable windage sight from Buffalo Arms that takes Lyman 17 inserts.  That will be for a different project though.

Both are comparatively affordable compared to many other models (I'm gun rich, and cash poor).

Hope this helps!
Paul F.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2008 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
IMO the PU Borchardt rear is by far the best for the money, and the repeatability etc IMO is equal to the most expensive. The only drawback (and this would only apply to an expensive custom rifle) is the comparative lack of fine finish, IMO.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

mriisj assra Life

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2008 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
For mine Pedersoli RB 45/70 I have used for several years with great satisfaction the Buffalo Arms Kelley sights and they look great to.

I initially bourgt a rear soule sight from pedersoli but it broke witin one week so this got replaced.

Michael

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2008 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
greetings mr dog,

don't know what you plan to use the gun for.. but for hunting and general use.. a marbels tang site and a lyman 17 front would be hard to beat.. both are available from brownells..

..ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2008 at 7:24am
Print Post  
dirtdog,
when I started in this sport early 80's a good sight was a dixie gun works Grin then I bought an mva which I liked much mo better. then rtece4ntly i bought a set of baldwins that i really liked, one of the good points is one staff and buy bases for different rifles.
found out too many times if you buy cheap you get cheap.
buy something that is worth a damn and you will have it for a long time.
irish

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2008 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Gentlemens:

The best target rear sight is, as Mr. Treeblood points out, the PU Borchardt sight. There are shinier sights but none its equal in function.

My front sight of choice is the Distant Thunder, which is available with standard inserts and with custom inserts of most any design you can dream up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Distant Thunder is now offering a tang sight. I have not used one but expect it to be of excellent quality and certainly worth a look. I will get to see one at the Lodi Creedmoor match this weekend.

Glenn Fewless

IP Logged

Mozark

Reply #7 - May 7th, 2008 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
A year ago I was in this same boat, deciding what sights to put on the first SS I had built,  a 45-70 on a Swede 67-89 action. I was in a bit of a vacuum then, and did not know about the ASSRA, this forum or much more than sketchy details of the shooting disciplines spoken of here-in. All I knew was that I had spent a great deal of energy building a good rifle, and that I was happily on a path towards a devotion to single-shots.  I wanted good sights, but had never actually had my hands on any of the offerings. 

I wish I'd known then of the high regard many here seem to hold for the "parts-unknown" Borchardt. I might have gone that route. As it was whomever it was I was speaking with at Buffalo Arms was steering me gently away from the PU sights and towards a Kelly. I didn't want to spend that kind of money on my first tang sight, and didn't want to invest money in a sight of dubious quality, which was a nagging (and it seems incorrect) feeling about the PU's. Also the Kelly seemed a bit flashy to me. 

I settled on an MVA Windgauge Sporting Tang. A very well made instrument,  suited to woods hunting, and with enough elevation for target shooting out to 250 yards, which is all the range I have here on the farm.  Of equal importance was that when and if I found I needed a mid or long range Soule or Sharps, all of MVA's offerings would fit the base, and MVA covered all of the possibilities with good well regarded sights.

I'm not disappointed with the choice I made, the MVA is an excellent sight at a fair price. Very solid and well designed. Lucky, I guess. When the time comes for a mid or long range staff on this rifle I'll get a MVA to interchange with the sporting sight. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend going this route. However the next rifle I build may well get one of these PU Borchardts. 

MM

I guess my longwinded point is that these sights are not a small investment, particularly in the eyes of someone new to this kind of shooting. There are a lot of options and the possibility of burning up more than the cost of ones first rifle on sights. The observations and advice offered here by experienced shooters and builders are very valuable to those of us starting out. At least to me.

MM
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2008 at 10:02pm by Mozark »  

IP Logged

Bullshot

Reply #8 - May 7th, 2008 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
I bought the Pedersoli vernier sight for my Pedersoli sharps, they work fine, but the windage is not as good as the soule sights. So when I bought sights for my Cimmaron high wall I bought the Lee Shaver economy soule sight with the hadley cup. It works fine and would buy another if needed, and probably will be. Want some info(pictures) about the Pedersoli High Wall in 38-55

Bob  NRA Life Benefactor

IP Logged

Mozark

Reply #9 - May 7th, 2008 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Here's a picture of the MVA Sporting Tang Sight. This one has a windage screw adjustment, but elevation is manually adjusted. Clean and stout. I think it was $245. The base is about $90 of that, so additional staves (staffs?) are 90 bucks less expensive than the complete price.

MM

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - May 14th, 2008 at 7:46am
Print Post  
For front sights, take a look at Lee Shaver's Lyman 17A with the spirit level. there are inexpensive insert sets available and the price is very reasonable. Joe S

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint