Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Is the Husqvarna Roller a Good One (Read 8574 times)
Yellowhouse

Is the Husqvarna Roller a Good One
May 5th, 2008 at 8:52am
Print Post  
as a stepping stone to customizing.  Or leaving it in the original 12.7x44R and paying through the nose for dies, brass, etc. but having fun anyway?  

Oh yeah, it's a Type 3.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2008 at 10:17am by Yellowhouse »  

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Re: Is the Husqvarna Roller a Good One
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2008 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Actually, dies from CH4D are (as I recall) about $80, and brass can be made quite easily (trim and FL size) from Starline .50 Alaskan brass.
No more difficult nor expensive than many "off the shelf" cartridges.
I'm into the 12.7x44R for WAY less money than .577 Snider or .577-450.

But to your original question;
I'm not a roller expert (by any stretch and mutilation of the definition), but since many of the early action were actually made by Remington, those at least are just fine.
I have read little that suggests that the Husqvarna made actions are any lesser quality. However, I do recall that some that have been "hot rodded" have split due to being heat-treated a bit hard.
Hopefully if I bunged that piece of information up, someone with more complete knowledge will speak up and correct me.

Oh, and I'm getting 3"-4" groups at 100 yards with my 12.7x44R using 4759 and bullets out of a $20 lee .50-70 Mold, and that's with ME (a casting noob) doing the casting, and not sorting the bullets in any meaningful way.  I have one 8 shot group that's 2-3/4", but I need to duplicate it before I can say "this rifle shoots 2-3/4" groups".

Paul F.

IP Logged

Mozark

Swede Rolling Blocks
Reply #2 - May 5th, 2008 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Yellowhouse;

I have 5 Swede RB's, and shoot them all,  so perhaps I can shed some light here, although you might go here first:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);

as this is the most imformative and concise information that I have found on these rifles.

I have two M67-89's, all original and matching, both Carl Gustoff. They are amoung the most lovely military rifles from that era, and are equally frustrating to shoot. Chambered for 8x58 RD, which had similar performance to the .318 8x57 (i.e. 230 grain jacketed bullet around 1900 fps,)  the bores tend to be a bit rough and somewhat oversized. These rifles were essentially new rifles built in the Swede armories from rehardened M1867 actions with new breechblocks, hammers and rotary extractors. I also have a 45-70 that I built on one of these actions. This was a bare action, with matching hammer and breech, that I got from Ken Busch.

I also have two M69's, 12.17x44R. Both are old 19th century Swede Sporters, converted to centerfire. The first retains most of its military characteristics and was very well done. This is on a Remington action, which I won't drill for a tang sight, but I hunt often with it using open sights, and it is quite accurate. The second was done a bit ham handedly, although it has a pristine bore. It has taken quite a bit of work to get it where I could live with it, including cleaning up a marred chamber by reamng to 50-70. I finally shot it last week and it grouped very well at 80 yards with BP and the Lyman 515141. 

As for loading the 12.17x44, it is a rewarding cartridge to load and shoot. Pleasant, accurate, and a terrific hunting round. I am quite comfortable hunting with it out to 100 yards.  It, also, is not expensive. Cases can be made from 348Win, and can be had from Buffalo Arms, or blown out ones self, and basic 50-70 dies are all that is requited for loading. 

I guess my 2 cents is that if you have a good M1867 in 12.17x44 shoot it as is, or sell it and buy a 67-89 action. The improved 67-89 is really a peachy action for building a RB. As for the quality of the Swede rifles, it doesn't get much better. Remember the Swedes have a long, long tradition of being master metal and gunsmiths.

Paul-F,

FWIW I beat my head in the sand for 6 months when I got my M67 shooting smokeless and cast, with results similar to yours, 4 inches or so with open sights. When I switched to BlackPowder my groups shrank considerably. 

MM

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2008 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Mozark;

I wasn't considering my results to be poor...
IN fact, given my relatively poor bullets (I'm improving the quality of my casting steadily, but this mold seems defiant in filling out), and relatively few loads tested thus far, I consider them an OUTSTANDING beginning, with harbingers of much tighter groups to come. Of course, we all have known rifles that will "tease" us in the beginning, never to "pay off", but I rather strongly suspect that this rifle WILL, as you say, improve even more with more experimenting, and trying Black.

Regarding brass manufacture for the 12.17x44R;
I found fire forming .348 to be a much bigger pain in the arse than using .50 Alaskan.  Apparently, some chambers don't like .50 Alaskan (too thick in the neck area), but it's a PERFECT fit in mine.  On resizing, the sizer just barely kisses the neck. I'm expecting about 1,000 reloads out of my brass Smiley
Likewise, .50-70 dies may work in some rifles, but with it's much larger base diameter, I don't see how it would work in a lot of cases (despite what the dutchmans excellent site and excellent loading page may say).

It IS a fun cartridge, and NOT a chore to load.
I'm looking forward to building better bullets and trying Black in it!

Paul F.

IP Logged

Mozark

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2008 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Paul,

Wasn't calling your efforts poor at all! I was simply stunned when mine shrank by half immediately with BP, and that was my first foray into the sweet sulpherous stench of BP. 

As for brass; 348 win is a good fit in mine. No need to resize at all, just bell a touch. .512 sized bullets have just enough neck tension to resist pulling out with fingers. The chambers are tight. I believe that the original bullet was heeled, with a .515 driving band. I bet the 50 alaskan would be too tight in mine, barely enough room to let the bullet go as is.

What a great caliber. Here's a link to Svartkrutt if you  don't have it:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Michael

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2008 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
I've had two of the '67 Swede rolling blocks, both in 12.17 cal. and both shot well. I also had one of the Egyptian Rolling Blocks in .43 and it too was a great gun. My present Swede is a civilian action, and it took it's first trip to the range last Sunday. Accuracy on this Husky Roller is outstanding! The first five shots at 100 yds. gave me three touching, and two witin an inch of the three shots.
I've always been more interested in the US made Rem. rolling block sporting rifles, but they're not any better than the Swedes. The Swedes may be better than the original Remingtons!-Vall

IP Logged

Swede

Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2008 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Group 5-shoots at 50meters.

I have a Huskvarna m/1867 12,7x44R and shoot it for competittion here in Sweden

Use reformed 348win cases
Federal 210
60gn Swiss # 5  (in US called 1F i think?)
Lee 515-450 or Lyman 515141 sized .510"

IP Logged

BillOregon

Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2008 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Guys: What a great thread, and Swede, thanks for that lovely photograph of your rifle and group. That belongs on a calender. I could stare at it for 12 months out of the year. That is a very nice little bullet box you have there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint