Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Beginner's battery (Read 10682 times)
sharps54
Ex Member

Re: Beginner's battery
Reply #15 - May 2nd, 2008 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Brent,
Here you go
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #16 - May 2nd, 2008 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Well, I'll be!!! 

Thanks.   

Still, they look too light, and WAY too expensive.  And a few other things, but I wish them well.  Always interesting to see someone doing good work on an old and unusual rifle.

Brent

IP Logged

sharps54
Ex Member

Reply #17 - May 2nd, 2008 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Brent,
Yep, they are well out of my price range. 

Frog,
I know I'll be there on Friday, I am still trying to swap days with a co-worker to get Saturday off. Did you have any match info yet? Is there a pre-registration?

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - May 6th, 2008 at 10:42am
Print Post  
I shot the Contender as an offhand only rifle at EG. Tha barrel was only 21" so a very short, nylon, extension was made to slide onto the muzzle. It was a borrowed custom shop barrel and I am now having one of my own made at legal length. 
My lo wall was my bench gun. Last year showed me that the lo wall with the Unertl in place was just too heavy for me to shoot offhand. With iron sights only, it held perfectly and was much steadier than the T/C.
  T/Cs can be shot off the bench and there is a good flat bottom forend available cheap. from Marc Sheehan at sheehan93@hotmail.com. Web sight. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links). Shooting them takes some concentration to get everything the same for every shot. The biggest problem would be with changing winds where taking too long between shots would not allow you to "run the conditions".
  T/Cs would be illegal for BPCRS. It has to be a gun or a repro of a gun built before 1895. The cheapest legal gun for BPCRS would be a trapdoor Springfield and I have seen them shoot unusually well.

IP Logged

sharps54
Ex Member

Reply #19 - May 6th, 2008 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Irascible,
Thanks for the comments, that is the sort of thing I am looking for! A trapdoor is an interesting idea and they are cheap enough...  Maybe that and a T/C to go with my BSA to get started. The other thing is I don't need to compete in all the different matches, I just want to maximize what I can do locally.

Green Frog,
Good news, I have confirmed that I have both June 27 & 28 off so I will be able to stay for the whole match!

Thanks for all the comments so far and don't be shy if anyone thinks of anything else.

Jason

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint