Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Pedersoli 1885 Highwall- report on availability (Read 7567 times)
swifty
Ex Member

Pedersoli 1885 Highwall- report on availability
Apr 29th, 2008 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
I just looked at the video from the Shot Show. Dick reports that it will use the longer brass that will  hold 62 grains of 2Fg and with the 1-12 twist shoot the 360 grain 38 caliber bullet. My question are some of the dealers higher up on the list to receive these new rifles? It sounds great. Here is the video info;
For those who have never seen Dick in the flesh, go to this site; (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: Pedersoli 1885 Highwall- report on availabilit
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 9:08am
Print Post  
I watched the video and a couple of questions jumped out. First the claim of holding 62 grains of powder. the 38-55 will hold 55 grains of powder when filled to the top and that was the origional length. Second even if you could stuff 62 grains of powder in the case where is the room for a 360 gr bullet. The SPG manual lists 41 grains of FFG with a 250 grain bullet and that is with a 2.120 case. Even with FFFG they could only stuff 46 grains in. 
The 38-56 a much larger case made from 45-70 brass is listed as holding 55 grains of FFG with a 310 grain bullet thats still a long way from 62 grains. If the rest of the gun is as good as the powder capacity claims I'll save my penneys for a Ballard High Wall.

40 Rod

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 9:28am
Print Post  
It's been my experience:

That whatever Dick Trenk says should be double-checked, since (how shall I put this?) he sometimes has poor info. I've dealt with him before and while he appears to be honest and truthful, we must remember that he's basically nothing more than a salesman.

That Pedersoli barrels are extremely accurate, as good as a production barrel can be and certainly better than any others I've tried.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 11:21am
Print Post  
don't you think listing a case capacity by how many grains of powder it can hold is a bit foolish?  Over the years, I've seen bp densities vary easly by 1--15% and I've never messed with some of the densest like the old Elephant (which was very slow by all accounts).  Various flavors of Goex have been very dense and very light.  So, any .38-55 cases might hold 62 grs of Elephant and yet none of them might hold even 55 gr of some other powders.  

In the end, does it really matter all that much?  If you feel powder challenged (for silhouette for example), then a .38-50 Rem will clean up the .38-55 and get the job done.

Brent

« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2008 at 1:43pm by Jim_Borton »  

IP Logged

Gussy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 11:59am
Print Post  
For what it's worth, I've been putting 55 gr 2F Goex express in my 38-55, .030 wad and  putting a 330 gr Lyman bullet on top with one band out for a standard (old standard) chamber.  My factory Browning 38-55 would also chamber that round.  It has been very accurate.  I've shot it out to 1000 yds, but beyond 880, it was marginal.
Gus

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
For one thing, Mr Trenk's story about when the case length was changed and why disagrees with everything I have heard from a variety of sources.  His time line was off by about 75 years and the reason had nothing to do with the explanation provided by everyone else.  Other than that, I had to wonder about the reasoning behind using a single set trigger when it would have been easy to make the full change to DST, and watching Mr Pedersoli fumble with the Lightning rifle he was handling.  Yes, I think they are more in sales than actual performance.  JMHO, but that was my impression.

Froggie

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
I would be curious about your perspective/research about the when and the why the .38-55 was shortened...

(no dog in any fight here... just information gathering!).

Paul F.

IP Logged

ablock
Participating Member

Shoot center & enjoy the
day...

Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Case size and how much powder they will hold is interesting. I am wondering if they are available and if anyone has had their hands on one.  Cool Al

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
First shipments of them from Italy is supposed to be end of June, early July.. 
(that's been pushed back a bit from the beginning of June as announced at the Shot Show.).

Paul F.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Paul, 

It would appear, from looking at the actual cases involved, that the .38-55 cases remained "full length" until about the 1960s or 1970s.  Without fanfare, the only American maker that continued or perhaps resumed making them in the 1980's and later, Olin/Winchester, began selling a shorter version of the case, apparently based on the brass drawing used for the .30-30, which was of course developed in the late nineteenth century from the then-common .38-55 and .32-40.  I don't have any of this in writing where I can lay my hands on it, but it is in the realm of "common knowledge" in the shooting fraternity, which like much information of this sort, may be incorrect.  Roll Eyes  that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Froggie

PS  Case volume is a function not only of outside dimensions but inside as well.  Balloon vs solid head cases, thick vs thin webbed cases, etc will have significantly different capacities.  GF

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Green Frog;

I don't doubt your time-line one bit...

I have suspected for a while that the "coincidence" of the "new" length of the .38-55 and the overall lenght of the .30-30 were not coincidence at all...
It was manufacturing convenience!
One set of drawing dies and presses can make all the .30-30, AND .38-55 brass... they just don't neck and shoulder the .38-55's.
That probably happened about the time the "old" sets of .38-55 and .30-30 dies wore out at the same time, and they were faced with the choice of making ONE new set of dies, or TWO.

Just my barely educated suspicions...

Paul F.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
I was under the impression that the shortening of the .38-55 was first done by Winchester, and the reason was to match the length of the .375 Win. that came out in the late 1970's. Supposedly it made production much cheaper to use the same specs for both the .375 and the .38-55 cases.
Least that's the tale I was told! Wink

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

AndyZ

Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
      I recently weighed 375 Win cases and 38-55 cases to compare them.  The 375s are about 10 grains heavier and the extra weight is in the head.  I believe the 375 was loaded to higher preasures and that would correspond to a stronger case.
    I would not mix 375 cases with 38-55 for benchrest.
    andyZ

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint