Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) bullet to bore question (Read 9910 times)
kaotic01
Participating Member

bullet to bore question
Apr 17th, 2008 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Ok here goes, well last night I got a bug up my butt and decided to slug the barrel of my Trapdoor to see how close the bore was to the bullet size I have been currently shooting. Well much to my suprise the bore is bigger then the bullets. I am currently shooting a 500 gr RNPB sized to .458 , well the bore measured .461. Am I atill in tolerance with the bullet to bore marriage. I know alot of guys preach about having the bullet match the bore exactly, but come on its 3 thousandths difference. Tongue Tongue Any thoughts on this ????

AIM  
IP Logged

mtnwinds
Ex Member

Re: bullet to bore question
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
When you say the bore is .461, do you mean groove diameter is .461?  I think you mean the latter and, if so, it's very possible you will want to use a bullet of .461 diameter or larger.

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
I've never had good luck with bullets under groove diameter. I prefer them .002 over myself, but at least groove diameter. This is particularily true with smokeless.

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Hey There !!!

That is the reason why SA and the DOD changed from the 405 gr. and went to the 500 gr. bullet in “81”. The heavier bullet would “bump up” and fill out to the bore and rifling dimensions to accommodate the various bore sizes. 

If you are a Trapdoor shooter you must buy Pat Wolf’s book on loading the TD Rifle and Carbine. It was her late husbands (Spence) life’s work and they offer much valuable information for a nominal price.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Good Luck !!!

Ed….

IP Logged

SCHUETZEN
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
In my 32-40 Groove Dia. .320 a .321 cylindrical plain base bullet works for me. 
Any Larger or Smaller and performance suffers.
Alloy 1-23

J.Louis

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
How did you determine .461"?  The trapdoor has a three groove barrel, and takes special measuring equipment to accurately determine the groove diameter.   

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

kaotic01
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
being a machinist I simply used a Avil Mic and measured it. That is how it is done with odd numbers groove barrels, the traditional method with even groove barrels will not work. I am currently using a 500 gr RNPB bullet, so you are saying that the bullet will deform enough to accommodate the bore size????

AIM  
IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Yep, thats the plan and to prove it, all ya got to do is shoot it !!!

On the "rest", if ya get on paper and got a reasonable group, your OK.. Shocked

Ed.....

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Redwing give's good advise. The most accurate load in my 40/50 SS which has a .410 groove diameter is a soft 400 gr bullet. It measures .402. 45 grains of swiss 1.5.  Prone, from cross sticks it shoots consistent three inch groups at 200 yards. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

vbull

Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 6:05am
Print Post  
kaotic01,
I shoot those old Trapdoors quite a bit.  Mine also slug to .460/.461".
I found using softer lead like 30 or 40:1 works well with black powder.
The 2 bullets I'm using are the Lyman 457125 round nose bore rider(520 gr) and the Lyman 457193 flat nose (420 gr).  I've been shooting them out to 600 yards and doing well.  The biggest problem with the trapdoors are the sights.  Although the Buffington sight is very good, it is just a bit too far forward for my tired eyes.  I also have a 5 groove Trapdoor that slugs out at .458 and has a tang sight on the wrist.  Shoots nearly as good as my match rifle.  It also prefers the Lyman 457125 cast soft.  Good luck with yours.  Frank M.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 8:50am
Print Post  
Good advice so far a few things to add.  Wolf's book is about essential for Trapdoor shooters.  Have had and campaigned several.  Generaly with Black powder and 1/25 bullets they will bump up to bore size when fired. Sometimes the bore is so large a "correct"  bullet won't fit in the case.

You run into trouble when trying to shoot them with Smokeless charges. Because of the actions limited strength charges are light and most people use hard bullets. this makes proper fit essental to good results.  I only had one trapdoor that shot smokeless and hard bullets well and it was a H&R reproduction Officers model.

The Cadet model Trapdoor I am shooting now with black powder is accurate for a Military rifle and has done well in competiton.   As you say the sight is not a target sight.  You can use a Merritt disk that sticks on your shooting glasses, has the same effect of a close to eye peep sight. They are intended for pistol shooters but work well at barrel mounted sight distances.

I switch out the Arsenal sight for a 03 blade, higher and sharper plus had room for filing down.   Shoot the rifle with a Arsenal front sight hood in place too.  My rear sight on this particular rifle was a little loose and have shim stock under the bar to tighten things up. Big advantage is to set elevations with a dial caliper allowing much more precise settings.  You can also zero at your regular distance and use a brass bar spacer filed to suit correct starting sights.   

Not target rifles but a lot of fun to shoot.

Boats

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 9:53am
Print Post  
  As long as you plan on shooting BP .003" is no big deal and the bullet will easily bump up with a soft Tin/Lead bullet. But, if you plan on using smokeless then you will more than likely get blow-by since smokeless won't give the "hammer" effect that black does. For smokeless I'd recommend a bullet .001" to .002" over your groove dim.

People always seem surprised when they find the Trapdoors don't have the current .458" groove dim. I've owned several and have yet to find one that measured less than .460". Most seem to run from your dim. up to as high a .464".

PETE

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 10:23am
Print Post  
WOW, we could talk about Trapdoor’s till the cow’s come home !!!

Boat’s mentioned the Armory front sight cover which is a great place to add a shotgun bead (on its top) to bring down the POA when shooting under 250 ft.. Pick them up at Al Frasca’s great site along with ton’s of load info, parts and gun’s.

Also a good source of info is the CSP site:

But then you already know that !!!

Ed…

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 11:57am
Print Post  
greetings   koa,

try NOT sizing the bullets and shooting them as cast.

tt.g

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
2nd Grampa, Not much reason to size bullets for your trapdoor. Pan lube them as cast.   

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint