Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) bullet to bore question (Read 9917 times)
kaotic01
Participating Member

Re: bullet to bore question
Reply #15 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 5:40am
Print Post  
vbull wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 6:05am:
kaotic01,
I shoot those old Trapdoors quite a bit.  Mine also slug to .460/.461".
I found using softer lead like 30 or 40:1 works well with black powder.
The 2 bullets I'm using are the Lyman 457125 round nose bore rider(520 gr) and the Lyman 457193 flat nose (420 gr).  I've been shooting them out to 600 yards and doing well.  The biggest problem with the trapdoors are the sights.  Although the Buffington sight is very good, it is just a bit too far forward for my tired eyes.  I also have a 5 groove Trapdoor that slugs out at .458 and has a tang sight on the wrist.  Shoots nearly as good as my match rifle.  It also prefers the Lyman 457125 cast soft.  Good luck with yours.  Frank M.

You stated that you have a 5 groove barrel on one of your Trapdoors, is that one of those Bannerman rebuilds. I did not think Springfield put 5 groove barrels on any issue Trapdoor. How well does it shoot??? I would not mine seeing a picture of it.

AIM  
IP Logged

Bob_S

Reply #16 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Five-groove trapdoors do exist, bur their origin is somewhat of a mystery.   There is a short section on them in Waite and Ernst, and they concluded that the markings on the barrels would indicate manufacture at Springfield, but the spread of serialed receivers on the rifles so equipped, from the earliest to the latest, lead them to conclude that the barrels may not have been assembled to rifles at Springfield.   

I find it interesting that several of the special long range rifles had six groove barrels. 

FWIW ...

Resp'y,
Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

IP Logged

vbull

Reply #17 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 9:29am
Print Post  
I don't know if it is a Bannerman or not.  It is a model 1884.  There is some markings on the underside of the barrel.  The patina is consistant with the reciever.  I bought it for a shooter and it does a very good job of it.   I've also heard somewhere that Peabody also rebuilt some Trapdoors.  I don't remember where I saw this.  I do know of at least 2 more of these rifles with the 5 groove barrels.  Frank M. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint