Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Problem w Uberti HighWall in 45 Colt (Read 20167 times)
John Boy
Ex Member

Re: Problem w Uberti HighWall in 45 Colt
Reply #15 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
... usually there is so much spent powder blow-back on the case that you can't extract it with your fingers.

DoubleSS - the product to resolve blowback shooting 45's with BP is ... The Lee Factory Crimp Carbide Die!  And a hard crimp!
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Been shooting Cowboy Action for years, using 45 Colts with BP ... thousands of them.  Using the Lee die - my spent cases have a smidge of powder marks from blowback.  My loads are 35gr FFg and 250gr - 454's.  Use a soy wax based lube and you'll have to do less patching for good 100yd shot accuracy

Would also recommend using 454 bullets instead of the 452's.  They seal the chamber better and are an additional plus to reducing blowback

An example of easy ejection - when I dump the cylinders of my Ruger Vaqueros - I just tap the bottom of the pistol grip on the unloading table and the spent cases - fall out.  Well, some times there is a stubborn one and the ejector rod pushes it out easily Wink  As for rifle ejection - all my levers have NEVER had an ejection failure.   

« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2008 at 10:28pm by »  

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Read the above thread with interest. My friend has a Cimmaron (Uberti?) sorta-replica of a Colt Lightning slide-action rifle and a spaghetti-Winchester 92, both in .45 Long Colt.  He describes similar problems, as well as a proclivity to lead.  Any connection?

IP Logged

DoublesSS
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Here's the update on the replacement rifle ...   All the lands are "throated" properly, and 95% of the time the extractor pops it out and the spent shell can be pulled clear with my fingers or, once in a while, it tosses the spent case out all the way. 5% of the time I had difficulty extracting the case but that was due to exceeding the "no lead" limit. A round or two of jacketed or copper plated at lower speed would then clean-er-out and it was good-to-go again.

The Uberti High Wall has a 1-in-18" twist and is particularly prone to leading as opposed to my Puma 1892 (also 45 Colt) with its 1-in-30" twist. I wonder why their twist rates are so dramatically different? Don't be confused .. the first High Wall had a stuck-case issue with any loading.

So again, I thank you all for your thoughts and comments. Meanwhile, I'll ponder the situation but for now I suspect the real culprit here was the errant barrel throating.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Quote:
Read the above thread with interest. My friend has a Cimmaron (Uberti?) sorta-replica of a Colt Lightning slide-action rifle and a spaghetti-Winchester 92, both in .45 Long Colt.  He describes similar problems, as well as a proclivity to lead.  Any connection?

Waterman:  I too have a Taurus Thunderbolt and a EMF '92 made by Rossi - both in 45 Colt.  All the reloads are 454's and crimped with the Lee Carbide  roll crimp die.

Neither of the rifles generates any leading and the blowback is between nill and minor.  The '92 has probably 8000+ rounds shot through it and nearly all the reloads are blackpowder.

Many Cowboy Action Shooters using 45's complained about blowback until they started using the Lee die.

DoubleSS - where is the leading with the Uberti ... near the chamber - middle of the bore or near the muzzle.  Most causes of leading are due to using too high a powder charge ( leading near the chamber) - too small a diameter bullet ( middle of the bore) or lube starvation (near the muzzle)

You might want to slug the bore and start eliminating the leading problem from that known

IP Logged

DoublesSS
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
John Boy .. The leading occurs just forward of the chamber, in the barrel's throat. I'm aware of the cause of that situation which is why I'd clean'er out with a reduced load of a copper plated or jacketed bullet.

I've read your comments on the .454 bullets with interest. I'll try it but I suspect the pressure profile for BP is different than that of the TiteGroup powder I've been using.

I believe I'll use my lead bullet loads on the 1-in-30" 1892 and use jacketed or plated bullets for the 1-in-18" High Wall.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Just re-reading parts of this thread.  An 18" twist is appropriate for a 45-70, not a .45 Colt...Did you slug the bore?  What groove diameter did you get?  .45 Colt should be .452" to .454", 45-70 would mike at about .458".  A .45 Colt reamer with a "normal" pilot of about .445" could very easily run off center, especially if it was held rigidly in a lathe tailstock chuck and the barrel was not indicated perfectly on center.   

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

DoublesSS
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
David .. It's a .452 bore .. The Uberti 45-70 High Wall has a 1-in-21" twist. But you make an interesting point relative to reamer being off-center. I, myself, have been off-center for many years now .. just ask my wife.
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2008 at 2:22pm by »  

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Thompson Center is famous (infamous?) for using undersized pilots, and reaming chambers off-axis.  A friend has had four (at latest count) barrels for her .357 Mag. Contender, none of them has had the chamber in line with the bore!  I'm just about ready to take her barrel and line it so that she can get some accuracy...and so I don't have to hear her grumble!   Roll Eyes

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Funnily enough, it seems that many manufacturers use non-piloted reamers for faster production. It was hard for me to believe at first but over the years I've seen entirely too many off-center factory chambers and so now I've become a believer. Bah.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

mriisj assra Life

Reply #24 - May 14th, 2008 at 4:34am
Print Post  
FWIW I have done some testing on my Uberti 45LC I used to use 35gr SCH 3 (2fg) with lots of fueling and have now tested it with 3gr SL VihtaVuori N-120 and 31gr SCH2 (3fg) the fueling has been reduced to almost none and accurcy has increased.

Next test is to use the Lee crimp and some SCH1 (4fg) instedt of the SL VihtaVuori for starter, have anyone tested this kind of duplex loads?

Michael

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint