Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Problem w Uberti HighWall in 45 Colt (Read 20161 times)
DoublesSS
Ex Member

Problem w Uberti HighWall in 45 Colt
Apr 14th, 2008 at 9:17am
Print Post  
I recently ordered a Uberti High Wall from Dixie Gun in 45 Colt. They were the only distributor I found who has a Uberti 1885 in that caliber. 

(Rationale:  I wanted that caliber as we have off-hand competitions at 50, 75, and 100 yard targets only and I wasn't anxious to spend the extra time and money to get "rifle" black powder cartridge like 38-55 or 45-70 .. they must be loaded single stage as oppossed to progressive and over the tears my fingers have become "brass-sensitive". The bullets cost more for those calibers, as does the brass. And finally I didn't want to be forced to cast the bullets .. the 45 Colt has a wide variety if readily available bullets of different configurations, weights and diameters.)

I found that the Uberti doesn't eject the spent case (usually). It will extract it the 1/4" or so but usually there is so much spent powder blow-back on the case that you can't extract it with your fingers. I used a wooden dowel stick thru the muzzle to punch it out.  One other anomaly ... as I looked at the barrel from the breech one of the lands appearred not to have been throated. It just came to an abrupt end at the chamber leaving a sharp edge for the bullet to overcome rather than a ramped transition to the rifling. I had presummed a rotary cone was used to form the barrel throat so I was at a complete loss to understand how just one land was as described.(?)

I've returned the rifle to Dixie. They were quite prompt and accomodating but advised that they noticed the blow-back situation on two other highwalls they had in stock (in 45 Colt) as well as the mentioned extraction problem.

The Uberti HighWalls in 45-70 or 38-55 don't have these issues. Recognizing the pressures of a 45 Colt are notably less than the others, should that alone be reason for this? Shouldn't the chamber dimensions be tight enough so the case effectively seals the chamber and prevents spent-powder blow-back?  Your thoughts would be appreciated.

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Re: Problem w Uberti HighWall in 45 Colt
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 9:50am
Print Post  
hi
I have a low wall in 45 colt that shoots real well. have u done a chamber cast. u need to talk to the Uberti customer service in maryland. 
they replaced a 30/3o I had with a bad bore with another hand picked rifle. what load are u using? 
I also have a schofield in long colt. and with slower powders blowback is terrible. better with faster powder. Im using unique in pistol and 2400 in rifle want to try rifle with heavy bullet and duplex blk. I have an article with a guy shooting 500 gr bullets from a ruger black hawk with a lot of sucess. i will size some 457124 bullets sized to the 45 colt bore i want to try breach seated. I would think with the proper charge I should be able to shoot the same bullets after sizing I shoot in my 45/70 if i breech seat. I dont think I will like the recoil though as the lowall is light with the hooked butplate it is theit scheutzen model. 300 gr. get ur attention.
Tom

IP Logged

DoublesSS
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Thanks Screwloose .. Uberti customer svc in Md is for those rifles imported by Stoeger only, ("Before contacting our customer service team, please verify that your Uberti firearm was imported by Stoeger in Accokeek Maryland.) Mine is imported by Dixie Gun Works and, as I noted, they were the only Uberti importer I found that had an 1885 in 45Colt.

I've used several loadings. Titegroup powder always seems to produce the tightest groups (well named). Yes, Titegroup consistently beats Unique which has been the ever-popular 45 caliber standby for generations. On heavy loads (300gr. Jacketed at higher pressure loadings) I favor 2400. No matter .. all produce similar amounts of residue blow-back on spent cases in my Highwall.

I've not made a chamber casting. Don't want to as it serves no purpose; either Uberti did it well or they didn't. When Dixie tells me that mine and two other new rifles out-of-the-box have the same characteristic, well .. it's kind-of-a moot point. 

My posting was to question whether y'all thought it appropriate that there was any blow-back at all on a load generating factory pressures or greater. When a 45-70 or a 38-55 case comes out clean, why shouldn't a 45 Colt?

IP Logged

montana_charlie

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
If your cases came from Starline, they might need to be annealed.  That is also true when 45/70 is the cartridge and the chamber is known to be correct.

Since you prefer to not cast your chamber, you'll just have to wonder if you have a 'fat chamber' or 'hard brass' problem...
CM
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2008 at 6:22pm by montana_charlie »  

Retired...twice.  Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
EXACTLY IM NOT SURE THE PROBLEM IS IN THE CHAMBER.
TOM

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 9:29am
Print Post  
MY CURIOSITY GOT THE BEST OF ME THIS MORNING. MY STARRET SMALL HOLE GAUGE TOLD ME THE CHAMBER IN MY RIFLE IS .482. 
THE SCHOFIELD TAPERED .480 FRONT .485 REAR ALL CYLINDERS. NO PROBLEM WITH EITHER EXTRACTING. LYMAN SAYS 45 LC STARTS AT .480 DIA. IM USING STARLINE AND WINCHESTER BRASS. U MIGHT WANT TO POLISH SOME TAPER INTO UR CHAMBER IF U KNEW WHAT ITS DIMENTIONS ARE. THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. AS FOR BLOW BY ANEAL THE BRASS IF UR CHAMBER IS IN TOLERANCE. WHAT KIND OF GROUPS IS THIS THING SHOOTING? MINE PUTS THE 300GR HORN.HP INTO 2" AT 100.

IP Logged

mriisj assra Life

Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Hi

I have a Uberti 1873 .45LC and have the same problem, when I talked to the representive of Uberti I was told that it was due to the straight brass, the .44-40 does not have the same problem I was told and seem right I have a fellow there have one in .44-4o and it does not have the problem.

My barrel had a defect in the chamber and had the barrel changed at Uberti at my own costs, that did not help a bit on the problem with fueling etc. on the outher side of the brass and actually a little is blown backwords to my face giving me a lot of freckles.

After reading this thread I will thry some faster burning BP and annealed my brass, I will be back with the results within the next weeks.

My current load is 35gr. SCH3, bullet RCBS 82049, barrel is 30"

Michael

IP Logged

DoublesSS
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Tom & CM .. I apologize for my arrogance. You both are right .. I should check the chamber dimensions (if I had a simple way to do that.) My extracted brass is .482 at the largest point near the head of the case. That doesn't seem excessive, but it doesn't mean that is the chamber dimension either. I've used WW and R-P brass. No difference in performance. 

Tom: 2" @ 100 yards. I'm shooting with a tang sight and I gotta tell ya .. I can't see 2" at a 100 yards. All I can say is that @ 50 yds it'll put 5 shots in just under 2" and that's about as good as I can see. Keep in mind the "unthroated" land issue as well. That's probably why it loved the jacketed bullets, kinda liked the copper plated ones, and couldn't shoot lead bullets (cast & Oregon Trail LaserCast) worth a hoot.

I'll have to get a tutorial on making chamber castings and give it a try.  Thanks.   Stan

IP Logged

montana_charlie

Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Keep in mind the "unthroated" land issue as well.

That discovery is certainly grounds for returning the rifle without further ado.  And, like you, I can't imagine how such a condition could occur.

But, out of simple curiosity (if nothing else) I would have had to cast that 'blowback' chamber...just to know what it looked like.
CM

Retired...twice.  Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #9 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
I agree with my Montana namesake.  If Dixie is "blowing smoke" (pun intended) then there must have been a bad reamer or something involved to have at least three rifles of the same caliber come out of the Uberti factory at about the same time with an obvious flaw in their chambering.  I would indeed expect them to expect Uberti to make all of them, but especially your one of them, right.  This is not a good image for either the importer nor for the manufacturer to have out there.  Usually both of these companies have been quite responsive to their customers when there has been a legitimate complaint.  Undecided

Charlie, the Green Frog

PS  I would cast a slightly overlength chamber cast to get to the throat area.  I believe you will probably find there is a burr there in the throat, not an uncut area.  A reamer with a chipped tooth and a slightly careless worker could conceivably give that problem on a series of chambers if QC didn't catch it.   Huh

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
I had a very simillar experience with a "Pedretti and Sons" Italian Sharps 1874 in .45-70.  THe chamber and the bore did not share the same centerline (by about .030"!).

I came to the conclusion that there is no way that rifle was chambered with a REAMER. It was chambered with a boring bar, on a lathe (CNC unless the cost of labor in Italy is WAY less than I think).
And, the barrel was not chucked true when the Italian gent pushed "Cycle Start".

It went to the importers warranty station gunsmith shop (a well known black powder and BPCR supplier, whose name I will not mention publically.. PM me if you feel it's important).
They didn't bother to open the breech and LOOK down thre bore.. The defect was visible on the most CURSORY examintion.
And yet, they managed to crown the muzzle, slug the bore and provide me with the measurements, and re-harden the sear.  None of which had anything to do with the problem.

They sent it back to me that way.
I promptly sent the rifle back to the Importer for satisfaction...
Fourteen months later, I got it back repaired properly.
To the importers credit, they threatened to withhold payment from Pedretti and Sons for an entire container load of rifles if my replacement barrel was not shipped immediately (well, immediately after the owner had spent 6 months calling them).

Anyway...
The importer should be willing and able to "take the case" so to speak, and make certain the manufacturer makes good.

I have to wonder if the Lathe operator from Pedretti and Sons got a job at Uberti...

Paul F.

Edited to append a "PS";
PS: said trained monkeys do NOT work for Buffalo Arms!  Just wanted to make sure no one thinks I'm referring to them when I say "a well known black powder and BPCR supplier"!

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
I think i wouldmake a couple of casts. On for myselfe and another to push the issue of the bad chamber if it is bad with Dixie and Uberti.
I cant be happier with the service I got from Stoger. They even returned my old butstock which I had cut for a recoil pad when they exchanged my rifle. It would be easier to mail pictures of a cast than mail gun. Resolve the issue then mail gun. if u still have a land left the chamber is off center a cast will confirm this. I dont know if Uberti shows preference between destributers or not. My 45/70 is a Navy Arms and the 30/30 is Stoger. quality is the same. Lots of luck.

IP Logged

DoublesSS
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Fellas .. As I had mentioned, I returned the rifle. Dixie offered to refund or replace it. I chose a replacement. That rifle was received today. The throat area seems normal on this one.  We'll see how it shoots in upcoming days. I've been forewarned so I don't expect any improvement in the ejection situation. I believe Michael hit it on the head; Since the 45 Colt case is not even slightly tapered this may be endemic with rifles of this caliber that don't fully extract the spent shell.  Thanks Guys.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
I no longer have access to the SAAMI chamber/ctg drawings, but if I remember correctly, the case has no taper base to mouth and the chamber has about .002" on the .45 Colt.  My daughter tells me that I don't have "part timers" or "old timers", but since my hair is going (as she puts it) silver blond, I can lay claim to blond moments!   Roll Eyes

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #14 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
DoubleSS, remember also that unless you have a .22 rf, the high- and low-wall Winchesters don't have ejectors, rather they have extractors that simply start the case out of the chamber.  With the normal tapered and shouldered cases used in these rifles, that gets them freed up pretty well to just about drop out, but  if, as we have seen in the .45 Colt, there is no taper to the case or chamber, this little bit of movement really is not enough to help all that much!  Undecided

Here's hoping your new example will solve the worst of your problem, anyway.

Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint