Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ballard .38 rim fire/center fire (Read 11794 times)
thop
Senior Forum Member

Ballard .38 rim fire/center fire
Apr 1st, 2008 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
I have been lusting after a Ballard #2 .38 with convertable rimfire/ center hammer.  I have seen reference to using .38 Long Colt for use with the center fire ignition configuration.   Is this the correct cartridge for Ballards marked .38?  Is accuracy acceptable?  THOP

thop

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Ballard .38 rim fire/center fire
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Yes, the .38 Long Colt ammo will work fine, and accuracy is good. Most .38 Long, or Long Colt ammo is a hollow base, heeled bullet, so it bumps up easily to fit the bore. 
As long as your Ballard has good rifling, it will be a great plinking round, or small game round in .38 Long. Not good for much over 100 yds., as it's a very mild round, and falls off quickly after that distance.
If you reload and cast, you can buy a mold for the heeled bullet, and use .38 Spl. cases to make your own ammo. That's what I use.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
We've got a guy here in Central VA who uses that very combination Vall mentions with a case full of black powder to shoot a reduced BPCR course they set up.  It does surprisingly well!   Cool

froggie

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback guys.  If I use 38 Special cases would I be able to use 38 Special dies or would I firef orm the cases and use a 38 long colt resizing die?

THOP

thop

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Marlinguy, to take my question further, is there any reason I could not safely shoot .38 Special smokeless loads, standard pistol loadings with lead bullet, in the #2?  I've got lots of .38 Special cases. and I would think the Ballard would be at least as strong as the Charter Arms five shot revolver that I shoot them in.

THOP

thop

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Thop, I'll jump in here and say that I for one would NOT be enthusiastic about shooting standard pistol rounds in a #2 (cast action) Ballard.  I guess a midrange target load with hollow base wad cutters might shoot OK, but people have blown S&W and Colt revolvers with them if improperly loaded.  Shocked

I personally like the cast action for .22 rf and MILD pistol rounds, but as with all things, YMMV.  You pays your money and you takes your chances!  Wink

I will assume NO LIABILITY express or implied, this is just a random musing, and the only advice I will give that I stand behind is be conservative when dealing with a 100+ year old action that wasn't over-strong when it was brand new.  There is a world of difference between a modern +P round and the .38 Long of yore.

Regards,
Froggie

PS  Another thing to keep you worrying is that hollow base bullets are known to sometimes shed their skirts in a rifle barrel, leaving a rather interesting barrel obstruction for the next shot up the bore.  Sad

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the cautionary advice Froggie.  I will certainly keep that in mind when I start shooting it.

THOP

thop

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Since I am new to Ballards I have been reading everything I can find related to the various models.  I noted the No.2 sporting rifles were chambered for relatively mild rounds, with the .44-40 Colt being the largest caliber/capicity listed.  The No. 1 and No. 4, on the other hand, were apparently both offered in .45-70 and others.  Are there differences in the strength of the actions of the No. 2 compared to the No.1 and No. 4 or was it just a function of the model configuration, as in the No. 3 being .22 cal only.  Frank de Haas gives the impression that the Marlin Ballard actions are all the same strength, giving the nod to the steel actions over the cast iron receivers because they finish better.  Would a No. 2 be suitable for rebarreling to .45-70?

THOP

thop

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Anyone who tells you the actions are all the same doesn't know much about Ballards. 
The cast actions are weaker for two reasons. The first being they are cast, but the big reason is the receivers are hollow underneath the chamber area. 
That hollow space really allows a lot of give when pushed to higher pressures, so no #2 or #3 with a cast action should be rechambered to anything stronger than the original .38 Long, .32 Long, or .22RF. 
Yes, the #2 was chambered for .44-40, and many people point this out when they want to rebarrel one, but there was a reason Marlin dropped that caliber from the #2. I've got one in .44-40, and it's still intact, but I would never shoot it with ANY factory loads.
Don't use .38 Special ammo for two reasons. It's too hot, and it's .357" diameter bullet, where the .38 Long is a .370" bullet. You wont hit anything, and you may blow up your gun, not to mention lead up the bore in the meantime.-Vall

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Vall and Froggie,

Thank you for your insightful and very valuable comments.  I will certainly keep them in mind.

Terry

thop

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #10 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 10:07am
Print Post  
I am going to beat a dead horse here. I shoot at the North SOuth SKirmish Association. One of the competitions allows for original military ballards if converted to centerfire with a retracting firing pin. These guys have been for years shooting a 45 colt, or a 44 with black powder only. every once in a while an action cracks!!!!! Luckly, one hasn't ever come apart wholesale but I suspect it is only because they only use black. Now, these are pre-marlin ballards, but they are very similar in construction and are cast actions.
I have a few old ballards of various makes, and believe me, I want to barrel them in calibers I feel would be safe as long as I own the gun, one of them being .38 long. But I fear the NEXT guy who buys the gun and doesn't know about the limitations. I badly want to make my Brown Ballard a 25-20SS, but don't think I should, If someone someday put a load of unique or 4227 in it would it blow, I don't know, but don't really want to find out.
I think a .38 long ballard is about as neat of a gun as I could want for woods loafing in the Virginia mountains where I live. It would just as fun on the plains of Kansas where I used to live.
If you don't have John Dutchers book on ballards think about picking it up. I think it just came out in a second printing. It will tell you all about the cast actions and the forged ones, and a heck of a lot of other good stuff. If you read it you will be pretty sure you need another ballard, or three!
Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #11 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 10:12am
Print Post  
I want to ad, I do sometimes shoot my early Ball & WIlliams ballard. It is a .44 rim or percussion. I load it light with black and do not feel I am anywhere near its limitations. As long as it is kept under what it was meant to do I am sure it will still be able to do it for at least another hundred years, IMO.
MerwinBray

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

Antietamgw
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
I went through this several months back with a very tired #2 in .38 Long. I would definately check the length of your chamber, mine was a bit longer than others I'd heard of. 1.1" sticks in my mind but please don't go by that, sometimes I forget what my better half said before I even clear the door...  The bore on mine is worn and the chamber is not as nice as I'd like to see. A good cleaning and a light lapping helped.  I looked into molds (NEI has a heeled style) Marlinguy suggested a hollow base wadcutter, along with the hollow base warning. I didn't want to put alot of money in a custom mold unless I was pretty sure the barrel would shoot. I like to cobble up my own stuff so I modified an unused LEE single cavity mold. It started as a .38 SWC mold. I chucked and indicated it in a 4 jaw chuck in my lathe and ground a nose form lathe bit to give me a flat nose style. I left the 2 rear bands at .360 and opened the nose to .376 along with a small grease groove. The lube grooves were left on the heel in case I needed them. Don't laugh guys but I tumble lube them in Johnson's Paste Wax and it does very well with my mild loads. I often shoot 50-75 at a sitting. 2 patches wet with Kroil and a couple dry ones are all it takes to clean and the bore is taking on a shine to boot.. Often as not the first shot from a clean barrel is right in the group, real important for my needs. The Johnson's dries hard in a couple days and won't pick up lint, dirt or whatever might be in my jacket pocket when I take her for a walk. I shot it in Jan and Feb but only on paper out to 50 yds. Shooting from sitting position with my back up against a cold silo (and my butt on colder ground) was more of a test of me rather than the load but I think I found the mildest loads that were accurate to 50 yds. The pics below(if they show up) were at about 30 yds.  Unfortunately, at 100yds they won't stay on a 5 gal bucket! Load development consisted of Bullseye and Unique, with data found for .38 S&W and .38 Spl kept in mind for some guidance. I did not want to excede the mildest .38 Spl loadings with a similiar weight bullet. My case capacity with the heeled bullet seated excedes a .38 Spl. with a wadcutter seated. Marlinguy (thank you!) put me onto (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) for an inexpensive copy of the Ballard tang sight. That with a Lyman 17A on the front should help. What were they thinking when they came up with buckhorn sights? I just can't use them very well. Now that the weather is warming up I opened my range but have not yet had time to use it. Spring is coming fast, maybe when corn is in and alfalfa is off I'll get some time to work with this rifle some more. Until then I'll just take her for a walk with the loads I have.  I guess I shouldn't admit it but I really kind of wanted this barrel to fall on it's face so I could have a excuse to rebarrel it to .25-20SS or .32S&W Long.  Finding a Savage 23B in .25-20 last Saturday has helped cure the itch a little. It looks right at home between the .22 and the .32-20 in the rack. As usual, the Lyman mold is on backorder everywhere.

Keep you sword and your plow share, know how and when to use them.

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Hello Antietamgw,

If your chamber measured 1.1" do you think some previous owner reamed the chamber deeper to accept full length .38 Special cases which are apparently 1.16" in length?  Yes, I have a couple ingots of CEROSAFE and confirming the camber dimensions will probably be the first task I perform, even though the seller indicated he had fired .38 Long Colt rounds in it and it shot well (very relative term).

THOP

thop

IP Logged

Antietamgw
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 1:35am
Print Post  
I suppose it's possible but there is no indication of the chamber having been altered from the cerosafe cast or from a look at the chamber thru a borescope. Again, the case length is from memory. I did not have to trim much from a .38 Spl. case. The heel is a slip fit in the fired case and the length was set that the bullet is seated slightly when the breechblock is closed. It's fine for plinking and I've had a good time with it.

Keep you sword and your plow share, know how and when to use them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint