Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Identifying Lyman 144 Sight (Read 8533 times)
slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Identifying Lyman 144 Sight
Mar 28th, 2008 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Sometime back a member on this forum asked to identify a Lyman sight. Consenseus was it was probably a Lyman 144 used only on the Stevens Walnut Hill rifles after 1932. I subsequently bought the sight in question. Nice sight but I am still trying to positively identify it before I install it on my Walnut Hill. The windage click adjustable base is similar to a Lyman 103 that I have but the casting is slightly smaller with 1 or 2 other minor variations. The stem is the right height but does not have the click a with the graduated collar that the 103 has. My brochure on the Walnut Hill states that it has click adjustable windage and elevation. The picture is not really clear but looks like it has the graduated collar. Saw one on Ebay recently that the guy was told it was a 144 that had the graduated collar on the stem with the same height stem as mine. Windage knob looked larger than my 103 and my supposed 144. Lost it in the last 7 seconds of the auction. Anybody out there got a sight they know is a 144? Stroeble's book has a description that states click adjustable windage and elevation but no picture. If it is a 144 it goes on the Walnut Hill. If not it goes on my 44 in .32-20. It could be a 103 with a No 2 stem but the smaller base I am not sure of. Both have the 1.5" hole spacing. Please advise.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Re: Identifying Lyman 144 Sight
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
I already done tole you all I know about the 144, which I got from an advanced Stevens collector in Fla. Strictly hearsay.

Another tidbit about the 103s: I own 103s with two different elevation racks on the vertical staffs. One has the common (very pronounced rack teeth) rack with the rack being a prominent separate piece unobtrusively slotted into the staff, while the other has the rack machined directly into the staff with the teeth of the rack being quite low. Different barrels of course but the bases appear to be basically the same. The more common staff with the pronounced teeth will interchange onto any No 1 or 2 Lyman, while I've seen the other on only the 103s and the Range Control sights.

Point being that the Lyman sights were produced over such a long time span that some of the details and non-critical dimensions & shapes are sure to have changed. And of course, like most all other collector books, the Stroebel ones have some errors both of commission and omission. They're the best I've seen but they ain't perfect.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

dead_eye
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 12:37am
Print Post  
can you post a picture of the site and i will check my book and get a hold of a friend that is the go to guy for lyman.
thanks
dead_eye

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 12:43am
Print Post  
Slumlord 44,

Mr. Steele is quite correct in the 103 information he has given at various times. 

The windage adjustable tang sight as currently produced by Marbles might be considered a modified step-child of the Lyman 144. 

BP

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

dead_eye
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 12:52am
Print Post  
can i get a pic of the right side please?
is there anything stamped on the bottom of the sight? if so what is it.
thanks 

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 1:10am
Print Post  
Alright, posting multiple pics didn't fly so here's a planview image of the 144 to go with the previous pic . The 144 elevation assembly drifts left-right on a threaded shaft, and the graduated windage knob is separate (held to the shaft by 2 screws). 

The 144 did not use the Lyman 1A/2A style lock nor the windage dovetail movement as is present in the 103. However, the 144 does use the 103 style elevation detent with graduated sleeve.

Short version... elevation is the same as the 103, windage is different.

Regards, BP

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 1:54am
Print Post  
Hello dead-eye,

First off, thank you kindly for the excellent scope design info you've provided.

Here's a pic of the 144 right side. I'll send the final two views in a minute or so.

How do I attach multiple pics to a single post?

BP

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 1:56am
Print Post  
Lyman 144 port-side:

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 2:22am
Print Post  
And the bottom pic. 

I have never seen a letter code stamped on the bottom of a 144. 

The history I've "heard" is that Lyman sold these directly to Stevens, but not to the general public. Nor do I recall seeing Stevens literature advertising the 144 for sale as a separate component.

I'm guessing that since Lyman and Stevens knew exactly which series the 144 was intended for, Lyman didn't need to code the sight, and was able to save themselves the cost of a labor operation.

Hope this all helps. BP

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Here's a view of the two different types of elevation stems and barrels I've observed on the 103s. Actually the prominent-tooth one with the windage stem is a Range Control barrel assembly with the windage stem added, but the elevation part of the stem and its barrel are the same as most of the 103s I've observed. The other one with the smaller lower gear teeth is the much-less-common type.

The entire barrel assemblies will interchange with the standard No 1A & 2A original Lyman sights, and this is where the Range Control sight originated. Most of the parts will swap with no problem but the actual elevation stems of the smaller-tooth 103s will fit only their special barrels. The elevation stems of the larger-tooth 103s will swap with the elevation stems of the standard No 1, 1A, 2 and 2A.

The only parts of the 144 that will interchange with others are the bare elevation stems, even the knobs are different.
HTH, Joe

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 12:33am
Print Post  
Thank you all for the information. The sight that I have is definately not a 144. It is either a varaition of the 103 or a modified 103. Now I know. Will use it on one of my other Stevens and all is well. Still looking for a 144 for my Walnut Hill. The one on Ebay last week was a 144. Printed pictues and matches the 144 pictured on BP's post. Thanks again for the input gentleman.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 12:38am
Print Post  
BP - If you ever decide to part with that 144 sight, let me know.

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
IMO      144 far superior to 103

Parker Hale better than either

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint