Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Axtell Rifles (Read 29372 times)
kimbroughr
Ex Member

Axtell Rifles
Mar 24th, 2008 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Greetings Gentlemen.  I've been looking for info (OK, opinions) on Axtell Rifles - I've seen some comments other places, but thought I'd go straight to the experts.  Also, could anyone tell me when they started making them and how many per year are made?  Are the reliable?  Accurate?  Value? etc.  They certainly look nice, but as we used to say in the Army "Looks good, but will it fight?"  Thanx

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Axtell Rifles
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
This one belongs to a local shooter. It's well made and is very accurate. It's perty too.  It's made in America by Americans.   Wink

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
forestock

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
buttstock

IP Logged

tmars

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
It is a beautiful rifle !! 

Sending you a PM ... I think I can add some history on this particular rifle for the owner.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Axtell Sharps

IP Logged

e15cap
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
I shoot an Axtell Lower Sporter 45-70 in BPCR and I thinkCarmen and her crew are making the most beautiful Sharps you can buy. Not only that but they will shoot with the best of them. Reccomend without reservation.                   Best Roger

IP Logged

zrifleman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 12:12am
Print Post  
I have a deluxe Lower Sporter along with 6 other Sharps. They are without a doubt the best reproduction currently available. Annual numbers must be small compared to Shiloh, C Sharps, etc. They have been building rifles about 15 yrs, making sights years before that.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 6:32am
Print Post  
Several years ago at the Maryland Arms collectors show there was an exhibit of original Creedmores, dozen or so rifles.  Carmen Axtell had one of her Sharps Creedmores on display nearby.  Kept going back and forth from original to reproduction. The Axtell rifle was perfect, lines. shape, fit. finish, was as if one of the old rifles was reborn.

With firearms the difference between good and great can be hard to describe. You know it when you see it though.  Single shots, Shotguns Bolt guns all the same when it's right it pop's when you look at it. To my eye the Axtell Sharps is as good as it gets.

Boats

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 8:27am
Print Post  
I'm pretty partial to mine:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ddeuce43
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Have been shooting Long Range and Mid Range Black Powder Cartridge Target competitive events for several years.  While the Axtell Sharps is not numerous, the folks that shoot them, like them and shoot them well.  I have seen it in the winners circle more than once in Long Range.

To me how well a rifle shoots is everything.  Yes, it is nice if it is attractive to the eye but where does it land the bullets?  When asked, each Axtell owner comments the same, "and yes, it really shoots well."

To my good fortune, I coincidentally shot next to Carmen Axtell at the National Championship Black Powder Target Matches at Raton, New Mexico in August 2007.  And yes she was shooting her own Axtell in 45-70.  The rifle and the lady can shoot.

While talking to Carmen I also took a good look at her rifle.  In casual conversation it was obvious that the rifle is used more than most folks would use one in competition.  It bears the use well which is another plus for the rifle to my way of thinking.

Carmen is the nicest person you would want to meet and is justifiably proud of her rifle.  She does not mind letting you shoot it.  In fact, she brought extra ammunition with her just for that purpose.  And by the way, have not the really great gun makers in history also been shooters of their own guns, ie, Harry Pope, L.L. Hepburn, etc.

In Spanish there is a saying, Si Compras barato, compras mas hace rato.  Which means, (not literal translation), If you buy cheap, you will buy again shortly.  That is not the case with the Axtell Sharps.  Obviously it is a good value for the price.

And yes I am plotting, along with my son, as to just exactly how do we secure one.  Fear not, we will be successful, the question is simply when.  Why?  First, because it is a shooter and second because it has a feel in your hands that is like no other.  Mine wont be a wall hanger.  It will get used.

IP Logged

nineteen76

Reply #11 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Why not shootability and looks?
This is a Custom Express in 45/90, 34"Bbl. Engraved and gold inlayed by
William Gamradt ($3000.00). 
It is for sale and the price will surprise you.

Chris

IP Logged

13Echo
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Drooool.  So surprise us.  What's the price?  Wait while I check the bank balance.

Jerry Liles

IP Logged

nineteen76

Reply #13 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
$7250.oo

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Thats a very nice rifle if the rest of it looks like the action.   

What twist is the barrel, who made the barrel, how long is the barrel, and what does the rifle weigh?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint