Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Axtell Rifles (Read 29398 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Axtell Rifles
Reply #30 - Apr 26th, 2008 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Thop

Well said.  There are a lot easier ways to make money than making somthing that's truly good. If you have found the formula risky to change it.   

Boats

IP Logged

nineteen76

Reply #31 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 10:54am
Print Post  
The Far Side.
Still for sale.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

holdinsteady

Reply #32 - May 1st, 2008 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
I'd be very interested in seeing more pics of this rifle...somthing that shows the buttstock, checkpiece. pistol grip, sights, forearm, etc. I'm seriously considering a new Axtel or Shilo.....but this might be what I'm looking for....if it's still for sale. Where are you located?
JP

IP Logged

klw
Ex Member

Reply #33 - May 23rd, 2008 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Quote:
Greetings Gentlemen.  I've been looking for info (OK, opinions) on Axtell Rifles - I've seen some comments other places, but thought I'd go straight to the experts.  Also, could anyone tell me when they started making them and how many per year are made?  Are the reliable?  Accurate?  Value? etc.  They certainly look nice, but as we used to say in the Army "Looks good, but will it fight?"  Thanx

Mine was a beautiful gun but it broke almost every time I shot it.  I sent it back four times.  I no longer remember exactly what broke but it was just unreliable.

Finally I called and complained.  The owner, a man, told me in no uncertain terms that if I wanted a reliable gun I should not have bought one of his.  That his were exact copies of the originals and the originals had problems.  To say that he could have cared less would be putting it mildly.

And my problems were not unique.  I explained my problems to the guy who bought it.  He already knew.  Said that that was just the way they worked.  The one he bought from me was his fourth.  He broke something on one just about every year so he bought spares.

Others I've talked to about these guns repeated similar experiences.

These are pretty rifles but they are completely unreliable.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #34 - May 23rd, 2008 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Quote:
These are pretty rifles but they are completely unreliable.

I don't have much choice but to call 'bullshit' on that statement.  Your's may have been unreliable.  Mine has not.  I do not know anyone that has problems like you have either.   

IP Logged

zrifleman
Ex Member

Reply #35 - May 23rd, 2008 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
I have to agree ith Brent. Mine has many thousands of rounds fired and only needed one firing pin.

IP Logged

klw
Ex Member

Reply #36 - May 23rd, 2008 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I have to agree ith Brent. Mine has many thousands of rounds fired and only needed one firing pin.

Thanks really interesting.

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #37 - May 23rd, 2008 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
klw's comment reminded me of an almost identical comment almost a year ago related to business conducted with C. Sharps.  Are we sure we're all talking about the same maker?

thop

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #38 - May 23rd, 2008 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
'Completely unreliable' is a little too extreme IMO, maybe should read 'mostly reliable'. After all, it is a 19th century design.

However even a 19th cen design can be made to be reliable, IF the makers are both A)attentive/responsive to the need and also B)capable of making effective reliability changes in the proper manner. The 98 Mauser is also a 19th cen design but when's the last time you heard about a broken Mauser firing pin?

It ain't rocket science; if it breaks it's too hard and if it bends it's too soft. Really pretty simple but it's amazing to me just how many makers have seemingly ignored their products' ongoing reliability issues.

As an aside, in the past I've been called upon to repair an excessive (IMO) number of Ballard LLC's high wall CF firing pins that had broken. Obviously they were too hard since the evidence didn't point to any maladjustment of the mechanism. Let's hope the new operation has learned to alleviate the problem.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

e15cap
Ex Member

Reply #39 - May 23rd, 2008 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
I will double down with Brent and say that mine has had a lot of lead thru it and never broke a part.               Best Roger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint