Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic danmark .22lr schuetzen rifle (Read 6572 times)
contrary_kid
Ex Member

danmark .22lr schuetzen rifle
Mar 19th, 2008 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
I just acquired a falling block .22lr schuetzen rifle. The only marking is on the barrel-GEVAERFABRIKBN OTTERUP DANMARK. If you go to -www.simpsonltd.com - Item Z8459  there is a picture that is an exact match to my rifle. Simpson lists it as a Schultz & Larsen. My rifle does not have Schultz & Larsen on it. Sorry, I can not post a picture. Can anybody tell me anything about this rifle or direct me somewhere to do some research ?    Thanx    Bernie In Montana

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: danmark .22lr schuetzen rifle
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 3:59am
Print Post  
Schultz & Larsen was indeed established in Otterup, Denmark, and made some wonderful cut-rifled barrels.  I have one of their .30 cal barrels on a BSA 12/15, and it is extremely accurate.

BTW, "GEVAERFABRIKBN"just means rifle factory. - there should be (have been?) something in front....

IP Logged

contrary_kid
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
No other marks on the rifle except the number 783. The rifle is in original condition, so I dont think any marks are missing. It is still winter in Montana so I have not been able to ring this rifle out yet, but so far I am excited about about what it can do ! I dont know if it will shoot as well as my Miller with a .22lr RKS barrel, but I still intend to campaign it at our Schuetzen matches this year.. Thanx   Bernie

IP Logged

mriisj assra Life

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Hi Bernie

I am not shure about your rifle but not all are marked Schultz & Larsen, as to my knowledge Gevaerfabrikken was startet in 1889 and Schultz & Larsen took over in 1919, you can mail me a picture of the rifle with the inscription and I shall talk to the knowledge guys here there may still exist paperwork on there production.

They wrote a book about the factory in Danish, I have added a picture of it, I havent had a change to get my fingers on a copy yet but this is soon to happend.

The buildings of the famous factory still stands and are used today as a community centre.

Michael

IP Logged

pulaski

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Contrary , Can't tell you much about the rifle but can translate the Dutch
Gevaerfabriken - gun manufacturer
Otterup ,Danmark - Town and country of plant
Essentially -Gunmaker in Otterup Denmark
This goes back to the old guild system 
I know it's not much help with the actual gun history .

IP Logged

Swede

Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2008 at 10:20am
Print Post  
A friend of mine recently purchased a Otterup Fallingblock .22lr identical to the one previously described.
The price here in Swdeden was equal to about 450 US$
I actally shoot 20 shoots offhand 50m with it, It's a wonderful rifle!
If he ever sells it, I will buy it....  Smiley

I bought The Book for my friend on a Gunshow couple of weeks ago!

The language is not Dutch but Danish!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint