Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The "Luna" Schutzen ? (Read 12746 times)
QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: The "Luna" Schutzen ?
Reply #15 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Fred, I'd be very interested in any further info you can share on the "Swiss federal" and german "field"  rifles and the matches they were used in.   I'd pretty much run into a dead end trying to research my Swiss Fed.

We've all seen the various small military style german single shot bolt action 22 rf "trainers" that used to crop up fairly often.   I'm wondering about their relationship to the swiss federal 22 rfs and the "field rifles".  I've always thought of them as a trainer used to avoid the Versailles treaty restrictions but perhaps their roots go back into the schuetzen traditions as well.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Hi, I confess that most of my info on German Schutzen rifles comes straight form Volume 1 & 2 of Alte Scheibenwaffen. I bought the books to research my own 8.15 x 46R rifle which turned out to be a very late production Buchel Meister with few obvious markings.
My Swiss Federal Muzzleloading Rifle is equally confusing. it has all the original finish but the sights were gone when I bought it. I mailed somebody on the Swiss Muzzleloaders web site to enquire about the avalability of original sights---I was told that they are available because the Swiss take them off and fit Pedersoli globe and aperture sights--I did the same. The only markings are a small coat of arms in a shield and the number 15. The barrel is one turn in 32 and heavily choked--it will not shoot a patched ball well. I use a .41 dia grooved wadcutter, dip lubed and loaded over 38grs of Swiss 3fg for the 50m comps.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #17 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
When looking for marks on these old German rifle's, dont forget to look on the wood for marks.  Usually it is the 1891 change of proof mark. It was applied when some rifles were already finished. I assume they stamped the wood so as not to damage the stamp on a hardened receiver.  I have one that looks like it has a small dent in the wood but is on close inspection, the 1891 stamp mark  Wink

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint