Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Real dumb breech-seating question (Read 5218 times)
BillOregon

Real dumb breech-seating question
Mar 15th, 2008 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
I have read about this over and over, but I still can't understand why there aren't safety issues with having the bullet base a fraction of an inch off the powder, using black. How can this be consistently safe and accurate if it is never safe to have air space in a conventionally loaded BP cartridge? Why isn't this like seating a ball off the powder in a muzzleloader? Why doesn't this ring chambers or worse? What am I missing? Thanks for any explanations.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Re: Real dumb breech-seating question
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
A SMALL amount of air-space is ok.
If it is the same each time the results are predictable.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
BillOregon,

This idea comes over from the ML'ing game. There it's absolutely verboten to have an air space. Now why it doesn't seem to matter in breech seating or a cartridge I don't know, but that's the way it is. In breech seating there can be as much as 1/2" between the OP wad and the base of the bullet. The best load for my .38/55 runs pretty close to this.

If you will read the old literature, especially the reprints of Shooting & Fishing, you'll see where a lot of the CF cartridges were downloaded for specific purposes. Most people couldn't afford 1/2 a doz. guns so they reduced powder charges, sometimes to as much as half a case. IIRC the .25/20SS takes about 20 grs. of 3F BP. In S&F mention is made of loading down to 14 grs. for Squirrel and Rabbit shooting.

But downloading does not give you the best accuracy. It's just adequate for short range. Most of the smaller calibers and all the larger ones pretty well require that you compress the powder charge. Sometimes quite a bit. If you'll read up on BP Shilouette shooting you'll see what I'm talking about.

All you have to remember is that ML'ing and cartridge BP shooting are two entirely different games and they have their own rules that apply to them only.

IP Logged

BillOregon

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Guys, thanks. TenX: I've loaded lots of BP cartridges, from .38-55 to .577 3-inch BPE, and have never, ever loaded a case with any airspace -- more usually drop-tubed and compressed loads. Only time I've broken that rule is in trying to assemble .577-450 Martini loads as described in the List of Changes with a wad of carded wool along with all the various wads and lube, and that kind of gave me the willies. I once had a Ballard .32-40 with a lightly ringed chamber that one smith told me was probably the result of someone shooting a BP cartridge with airspace in it. Perhaps he was wrong, and I needn't be quite so concerned. I realize that breech seating was considered by most to be the most accurate way to load in the golden age of schuetzen, so it obviously didn't cause problems. I just can't quite understand why.
Bill

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Bill,

You're right and I did point out that the best accuracy shooting BP in fixed ammo you have to compress the powder. Even when we breech seat bullets there will be AT LEAST a 1/16" or more of air space between the end of the case and the base of the bullet if the case is filled to the mouth of the case. I have also found that some compression is needed for best accuracy and that only increases the air space. as I mentioned about 3/8" in my .38/55 Wall.

I, and many others have shot virtually tens of thousands of rounds with an air space and as far as I know no one can say this has caused ringing of the chamber or barrel.

The following I'm taking on trust, as it was reported by Charlie Dell in his book, since I don't use this method at all. It is claimed that using SMOKELESS powder you can ring a chamber if when breech seating you don't leave the OP wad about .150" - .200" off the powder charge. To explain, if you don't know. Some shooters, when breech seating, will put a wad down in the case to prevent the powder from spilling into the chamber when inserting the case. A mess if it's ever happened to you. My method has always been to put a wad in the mouth of the case and tip the rifle up to settle the powder consistently.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Ah well, I'll be the dissenting voice here...  I recently did some accuracy tests with 577-450 and BP, and my best-performing load actually had quite a bit of airspace.
It consisted of 83grs of Swiss Fg, in drawn brass - kynoch, CBC,whatever - followed by some air, then card wad and bullet.  Shoots nicely in the ol' warhorse, and no doesn't cause rings or bulges.  I would estimate that these was about 15% of air in those cartridges.
FWIW, W.W. Greener in 'the gun and its development' specifically advises shooters to download cartridges, when the correct granulation is unavailable, and only finer-grained stuff can be used - in this case for .45-3 1/2" Express.  He further warns against compressing that same fine powder in full-charge loads, as it is liable to cause detonation, especially when 'tamped'.

Conclusion?  The airspace and BP cartridges thing seems to be an urban myth, which everyone keeps on repeating - but as long as you don't have too much airspace (like 50+%), there's nothing wrong with it...  I'd rather ave the powder move around freely, than have thair air between a wad seated tightly on the powder and the bullet.

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
greetings,
shortly after ww11,  i had attended schuetzen matches with my mentor.. don't remember anyone that used black to use a full case of powder..

think the full case law was started by some whipper snapper writer then picked up by other whipper snapper writers..

never did trust whipper snappers, try not to be a whipper snapper. SWARSHBUCKLERS ARE BETTER.. TRY TO BE A SWARSHBUCKLER..

..ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
bill'0

PS.. 
thats cause a ml is open at the breech. you don't want the gas to blow out the vent or nipple while the while the load is building up pressure. it's a waste of energy..

howsomever, sometimes if you want a smooother launch of the ball a 1/2 to 3/4" off the powder mite work wonders for accuracy..

tt.g

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Martini,

Quote:
but as long as you don't have too much airspace (like 50+%)

News to me! Are you basing this on your experimenting or have you read this somewhere?

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 8:55am
Print Post  
To be honest, it's just something where I wouldn't really feel comfortable, when having more than half the case empty.  Whether it would be dangerous, I really don't know, but in the BN case like 577-450 you would always run the risk of hangfires as there wouldn't be any powder covering the primer, which I would prefer...  I know a bit of air won't hurt (just shot another 17 rounds loaded like that today), but too much might be just that - too much.

IP Logged

horsefly
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Good morning, Board;

So far as I'm concerned, the myth about having to have a full case of powder came from Garbe & Venturing's book.  That's NOT what they said, but I have heard a number of folks quoting them as saying that you should never use less than a full case of powder.  That seems to have morphed into, "less than a full case will blow you all to .......".

Hog wash.

I have used as little as 40 grains of FFg in a .45-70 with 325 and 400 grain bullets looking for a reduced chicken load.  Accuracy was a sometimes thing.  For some loads, I could get pretty good accuracy by tilting the muzzle up to position the powder in the case.  All in all it wasn't worth the trouble.

When I shoot less than a full case of powder, I don't use wads.  If the wads were to come loose and back up from the bullet, I think you could sure 'nuff have problems.

Y'all be good.

horsefly

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Horsefly,

You have jogged my memory..... Many years ago a friend and I used to shoot at a 50 ft. indoor range with the .45/70, altho I used a homemade "collar button" mould (still got it)  and small charges of smokeless. At 50 ft. they were as accurate as we could hold offhand. Like you we tipped the muzzle up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint