Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) what twist for 22RF (Read 12013 times)
Brent
Ex Member

Re: what twist for 22RF
Reply #15 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Tim, I thought we were talking ASSRA targets, so the x-count had me confused.  ASSRA and WSU and probably a few other organizations shoot formal 100 and evn 200 yds matches with .22s.  I'm rather determined to shoot a 250 at 200 yds this year.  It's just one of my personal goals, so that's why I asked.   

Thanks, still be happy to hear about anybody's pet theory of .22 chambering.  I'm sure others would as well.  At least one person I know is having a custom - no-holds-barred .22 Schuetzen rifle built this year.

Brent

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Sorry about the curve ball, it was referenced with an IR 50 target in mind. That's my frame of reference regarding .22's

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

singleshotom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Just another question! Ive spoken with friends who in the past 10-15 years were shooting federal match or ultra match with howling success. 
And now that I'm back at this tack driving game I only hear of Eley a some that use Lapua ( which Ive had no luck with). What happened to our good old USA friends south of the boarder why did they quit making *** Good target ammo**?
Tom

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
I believe the faster twists in the centerfire are for heavier bullets. You need the faster rate to stabilize them at our velocities.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 3:48am
Print Post  
Rimfire,
Can you post the specs on the Eley chamber?

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 9:20am
Print Post  
40-82Hepburn - I don't have any way to post them but if you will PM me your snail mail address I will make copies of both Eley and Lilja chambering reamer specs and mail them to you - you have a good day now - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
I believe that the 22lr 50 yd BR gunsmith Bill Calfee does something similar to Mr Amick - I'm not sure about the engraving the bullet or lack thereof but from comments that he has made on the rimfire forum he talks about burnishing his chambers and leade with a hob - which he claims makes the bullet less sensitive to wind because it gives a more even distribution of wax on the bullet.  just repeating others statements - I can't prove it or disprove it but I believe Mr Calfee has a pretty good track record when it comes to his rifles being on the 50yd championship platforms.  you all have a good day now - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Rimfire, I believe you may have misinterpreted something. Bill, Chet and others do in fact believe the throat has to be lapped in, or burnished, as Bill calls it, but it has less to do with sensitivity than consistancy.
 Among the advocates of it, it is believed that it helps the base upset properly and seal well, it helps reduce the buildup of accuracy robbing lead-carbon ring building in the leade, as well as aiding that initial wax distribution.
 It is my personal belief that the reduction of that ring of fouling might be the most critical.
 Lots of the non-cleaners don't realize that once that hard ring builds, every slug that passes through it gets swaged down and will not seal as well, robbing accuracy in so many good barrels. We are only talking, maybe, a couple tenths but remember we have come to understand in rimfire match barrels, a bit of taper in the bore is desirable, but if you swage that slug past that hard ring of fouling, guess what, you have no more taper.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
tim_s thanks fore stating it clearer than I.
I think that we are on the same page - I am a hunt n peck typist so I try and condense stuff so that I can get it posted without taking too much time - somtimes intent gets lost in the condensing - and since I am not involed in the 50yd game most of what I know I about it I will have to admit is from "kathy's" posts on the BR rimfire forum.  - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint