Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) what twist for 22RF (Read 12001 times)
singleshotom
Senior Forum Member

what twist for 22RF
Mar 11th, 2008 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Just a question about 22rf's. In a earlier subject it was mentioned something about shooters now using slower twist 2 groove or "was it shallow grove"?
In order to get ammo at slower speeds to preform !! Or did I get the wrong idea from what I was reading.

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Re: what twist for 22RF
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Well yes and no, so to speak. The popularity of some of the slower twists has less to do with the performance of the ammo than it does with the belief that a 17 or 18 twist is better in the wind. All I can say is maybe. I shoot barrels from std 1-16 to one 1-17 3/4. I will tell you that you do not want a slower twist if you shoot in cooler-cold temps as you will have stability issues with all but the faster ammo.
  All this being stated, you probably should stick with the tried and tested 16 twist barrel IMHO.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

singleshotom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
ThnxTim!
I was talking to Bob Collins about different lots of Eley and he asked what I was using it in and when i mentioned a BSA Martini he said that I probably needed higher speed ammo for that type of rifling in order to upset the base band properly. Then mentioned something about slower and I thought he said 2 groove rifling..... Like a old timer I thought about it later and wondered about the 2 groove thing!! are they in fact using shallower or less rifling in order to have the slower ammo upset to fill properly or did I miss understand him? 
Tom

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Lets also keep in mind that most folks using the slower twist barrels for .22 competition shooting are seldom at 100 yards, and almost never at 200, like we need to do with Schuetzen.  They are mainly concerned with superb accuracy from a bench at 50 yards, or position shooting at 50 feet!  We need the bullet to still be stable at 100 and 200 yards.   

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
I cannot recall what twist rate my Lilja barrel is, but I shoot it extensively at 200 ysd with Eley EPS 1064 fps ammunition.  It does spectacularly well.  I can measure the twist rate if anyone cares, but the bottom line is that I called Lilja and asked for their recommendation and I took it and ran.  The barrel was more or less their standard Chro-Moly benchrest barrel of the time (about 3-4 yrs ago).  It will shoot low 240s for average and commonly into the mid and upper 240s with regularlity every day that the weather is even half decent.   

If I felt I needed more stability at 200 yds, I'd go with Eley EPS ammo another 100 fps faster.   

Brent

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Brent, I would almost guarantee you come up with a 16 twist.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
I'm curious about opinions on twist rate for 200yds/meters, also keeping in mind I sometimes shoot in pretty windy conditions.   
I shoot .22 BPCR silhouette matches; 50 - 200 meters. I've been using Lapua Master & Signum. 
I've had a gun barrelled with a Douglas 1-14 and seems to do a bit better in the wind than my other 1-16 barrels.

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
I have an RKS gain twist bbl that has a finished rate of 1:15 don't have it on a rifle yet - hope to be shooting it by mid-summer - will let you know what I think then - the rifle that I currently shoot at 200 yds is an Eric Johnson bbld Ballard 1:16 twist Eric Johnson chamber - Brent if you don't mind telling us what chamber do you have cut in your bbls - I personally think that chambers are every bit as important as the bbls.  I know that Lilja has their own chamber specs and was wondering if since you are using their bbls if you are using their chambering reamer as well - just curious - you al have a good day now - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
rimfire, my chamber is a Lee Shaver chamber.  I can't tell you more than that.  It is definitely a match chamber, but I cannot tell you more.   

Brent

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 7:10am
Print Post  
Brent - thanks - right now I am looking at putting an Eley chamber in the RKS bbl - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 8:58am
Print Post  
.22Hepburn wrote on Mar 13th, 2008 at 8:33pm:
I'm curious about opinions on twist rate for 200yds/meters, also keeping in mind I sometimes shoot in pretty windy conditions.  
I shoot .22 BPCR silhouette matches; 50 - 200 meters. I've been using Lapua Master & Signum. 
I've had a gun barrelled with a Douglas 1-14 and seems to do a bit better in the wind than my other 1-16 barrels.

That may ultimately be because it is a better barrel over all. It has become a more popular belief among BR shooters amd barrel makers that over all faster twists are more wind sensitive.

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Gentleman, I'll drop another one on you to make this even more confusing. Over the last couple years lots of development work has been done on chambers in particular by a few folks. I use my own chamber, for instance, which engraves no more than about 1/3 of the current ELEY.
     Chester Amick, a recently departed friend/gunsmith/shooter, was to date the only man alive to shoot 5 250/25x's and he did it with 5 different barrels. One common thing about all of them was that his reamer did not engrave the bullet. He also  would take about 10 hours to cut in  and lap his chambers and leade, but that's another saga.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Tim_s, the comment about faster twists being more wind sensitive is curious since in the cf long range realm the trend is toward faster twists with a goal of more stablility. The trend seems to be toward 38 & 40 cal rifles with 10 and 12 twist barrels. Or could be that this is really not a good comparison.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 10:43am
Print Post  
tim_s wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 9:09am:
Chester Amick, a recently departed friend/gunsmith/shooter, was to date the only man alive to shoot 5 250/25x's and he did it with 5 different barrels. One common thing about all of them was that his reamer did not engrave the bullet. He also  would take about 10 hours to cut in  and lap his chambers and leade, but that's another saga.

What distance?  I would think many have shot 250s at 100.  So, is this 200 yds?   

How about some elaboration on this chamber and leade?  I would love to hear more.

Brent

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Brent, you missed the important part. Firstly this is 50yds. where all .22 score type sanctioned matches are held, well yds. and mtrs. There is no formal score BR shooting done at 100 that I know of. Many 250's are shot at that distance. None, however, have scored 25 x's. These were club matches, but club matches where some of the countries best BR shooters turned out and duley witnessed. The x on these targets is 1/16" and the current word record, I believe, is 23x.
  As to the referenced chambers, it is perhaps one of the true "black arts" of the best of the match .22 game and there's lots and lots of secrets out there.
  Unfortunately, Chester passed away recently and with him a lifetime of invaluable information . We are truley diminished.
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2008 at 4:52pm by tim_s »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint