Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Building a schuetzen rifle on a Ruger No.1? (Read 31933 times)
humboldt
Ex Member

Building a schuetzen rifle on a Ruger No.1?
Mar 10th, 2008 at 12:30am
Print Post  
I have a ruger No.1 in 45-70 that I am thinking of making into a Schuetzen rifle. Is this feasable? I was thinking along the lines of a short cartridge like the 357-.32 or whatever might work. Who does barreling on a No 1?Where would I get a reamer and reloading info? I have Charlie Dells book and have just rediscovered it since my big move (from Montana). and am excited about building and shooting something small and accurate. Any advice would be appreciated. Mori

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Building a schuetzen rifle on a Ruger No.1?
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 12:38am
Print Post  
I did a No. 3 in .30 caliber 32-20 (aka 30-20) a few years ago.  PM me for photos...I'm still "challenged" when it comes to posting pictures here!

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 8:03am
Print Post  
Humbolt
I would use Willis Gregory. He is on this list as singleshot.
40 Rod

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Mori,

I can't see any reason why you couldn't do what you want, altho if you want to have a smith do the work for you I'd suggest someone who specializes in Ruger #1's so they could also do the "tuning" that they seem to require to get them to shoot well.

The Cast Bullet Association has several back issues that deal with this "tuning" if you'd like to try that end of it yourself. I got them for a #1 in .218 Bee I want to play with. Be glad to give you the numbers and how to get them if you'd like.

IP Logged

Shooter_1
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Hi tenx,
I would be interested in any info you may have on setting up a Ruger # 1 into a Schuetzen rifle, also any info on converting it into a short 30 caliber of some type. Thanks for any help you may give.
  Shooter

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Shooter,
  The information I have is not specific to Schuetzen rifles, but is used by many cast bullet shooters to improve the accuracy of the Ruger #1. Some of the problems involve the hanger and it's relation to how it contacts the barrel.Others involve the forearm itself, plus some things internal to the action itself.

My only experience with the Ruger SS's is with a #3 I had built up into a .32/40. This was long before any info was available to correct these problems. Altho the accuracy wasn't bad it wasn't all that good either, so I sold it. I currently have a #1 in .218 Bee but haven't had a chance to do any of the "tricks" that I have info on.                                                                                                                              

With that said, here's a list of past issue magazines that contain the tricks I'll be trying out. I'm sure there are many more out there and hopefully others can expand the list.

From the Cast Bullet Assoc. - The Fouling Shot

1.) Issue # 83 Jan.-Feb. 1990
2.) Issue # 132 Mar.-Apr. 1998
3.) Issue # 134 July-Aug. 1998

I like these since they deal with tuning tricks for cast bullet shooters
  Glenn Latham, editor of "The Fouling Shot" should be able to help you wit prices, contacts, eyc. His email address is  GRLatham@earthlink.net

From Precision Shooting

1.) Tuning the Ruger No. 1 by John Herold
           Precision Shooting Special 3, Vol. 1 - 1995
2.) Accuracy from a Ruger No. 1 by Merrill Martin
           Precision Shooting Special 2, Vol. 1 - 1994

Contact Kim Woble (Precision Shooting office manager) at (860) 645-8776

From The Accurate Rifle

1.) Accuracy and the Ruger No, 1 by Todd Burgreen
             July 2002 - The Accurate Rifle

This was sent to me by a private individual so no contact info other than the authors email address in the article which is   bcrw4guns@aol.com

You might also get on the Ruger Forum and do a search there and/or ask questions about your specific wants.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
I wonder if the ASSRA Archives might have copies of those articles as well?

Might be worth a call to the Archivist..   

Paul F.

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Good thought Paul. Never thought of that.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
I'm not used to thinking of the Archives either Smiley

Trying to get in the habit...

Paul F.

IP Logged

frederick
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
If you are going to be serious about schuetzen competition you will save
yourself money and aggravation by getting a CPA Stevens with barrel
interchangeability. I don't know of any competitor using a Rugar. Think lock time.

Fred

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Fred,

I might tend to agree with you that a CPA might be better, but, I was giving advice on a gun that Mori wanted to work with.

The Ruger #1 & #3 were never designe,d or intended to be, the ultimate in a target rifle. They are excellent for what they were designed for, but to make them suitable for competitive target use they have to be worked on. Kind of like taking a stock Govt .45 and expecting to win matches with it. They need a lot of fine tuning by a top gunsmith to make them so.

As for no one using #1's or 3's I don't know of anyone using one but there have been a few comments on here of quite a few using them. I believe EG was mentioned!

As for lock time...... Can you lead me to a site that shows the CPA as being faster than a Ruger? Offhand I would think the Ruger would have the shorter lock time if for no other reason that it doesn't have an external hammer and a lot shorter "throw". I believe the Borchardt is considered to have a fast lock time, and it's the reason there have been modifications to High Walls to make them hammerless. Wasn't there a picture of one such on the cover of last months Precision Shooting?

Part of the Rugers problem is that it does have a heavy mainspring in order to achieve as fast a lock time as possible and is one of the problems that need to be addressed because of the vibration it sets up. Before you could almost replace the whole gut works one of the "cures" was to put a Lead sleeve around it. Haven't heard of anyone doing it lately but might still be an option.

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
As one who often shoots a Ruger. Sometimes rather well they do make a good gun but it does take a bit of work.
The first Thing is to get a Zika hammer.
Then remove the forend hannger and ejector hangers. Make a hanger for the mainspring  and attach it to the barrel. Forgot the first thing is to get a good barrel. The trigger is also a problem if Zika would get his in production it would be a great help.If you can do the work yourself it is not a bad place to start. If you have to pay for all of the work the CPA is the way to go.
Several 250 have been shot with Rugers My best is 248 but then I am not the best shot on the range other than when alone.
Cheers,
fallingblock

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
tenx;

One also should consider one's competition when deciding how much to invest in a rifle..
I'm one of Mr Humboldt's competition... and trust me when I say that as a group, we can all be beaten by a decent Ruger #1 by anyone with a modicum of practice. Cheesy

Now, in couple more years of practice, some of us might actually see a difference in our local iron-sight offhand matches.. but A guy could bring  home a lot of trophies with a Ruger by then!

That reminds me... I gotta cast some 8.15x46R bullets pretty soon!

Paul F.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
I don't know of any good way to measure lock time. As an offhand shooter I do know how important it is and can "feel" the difference between lock times in similar rifles. Example my old Modern Silhouette rifle on a 03 action is noticably slower than my newer one on a 700 Remington short action.

On the CPA's have two and shoot them offhand. Paul Shuttleworth speed locked them several years ago. Lighter hammer with a short fall. They won't pop centerfire rifle primers but ignite well with pistol primers.  Rimfire they are just right. 

I have never shot the Striker action single shots offhand, Millers and the like.  However can say the CPA "Feels" fast to me. With the rimfire barrel installed the lock time is in the same category as My 1922 M2 Springfield, or Kimber 82 bolt guns. The Anschutz 54 free rifle has a faster feel than the CPA, or any other rimfire I have spent time with.

As a base for Schuetzen rifles the CPA's are very good.

Boats
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2008 at 5:14pm by boats »  

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #14 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
John- Thanks for the plug, but until I can retire from this job I have I will not be taking on any more complete builds- just do not have enough time!

Mori- I think the #1/3 are an excellent platform for schuetzen. I have built at least a dozen of them! It does have some limitations, but they can be overcome. The maximum barrel diameter is 1.200" (unless the hanger is removed), which will allow about 1-1/8" octagon barrels to be fitted. The Zika lightened speed hammer combined with a Wolff mainspring significantly decreases the lock time. A Moyers trigger regains the sear engagement adjustment lost to lawyering early on in the #1s career, and the Kepplinger set triggers are very nice. I have found (as did DeHaas) that each rifle is a law unto itself when it comes to the forend/hanger question. It is easy to place a set screw in the front of the hanger to bear against the barrel and allow the forend to be floated. Almost all of them come with excellent wood and a hook can made to attach to the sling swivel mounting hole for offhand, or a butt sled for benchrest. Wayne Swartz built a lot of them into schuetzen rifles also and it NOT uncommon to find several on the line at EG or many other matches. One can be built into a schuetzen for less than the cost of a CPA, especially if one can do any of the work himself.

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint