Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Building a schuetzen rifle on a Ruger No.1? (Read 31984 times)
tenx
Senior Forum Member

Re: Building a schuetzen rifle on a Ruger No.1?
Reply #15 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Boy's,

I'm not trying to run down the CPA's or Stevens 44 1/2's. My competition bench gun is a CPA and I wouldn't trade it for most anything. Also own a coupla original 44 1/2's. They are mighty fine guns.

But as SS says the Ruger #1 is a fine gun and if it's all you have to work with and don't have a coupla thousand to spare, I don't see why you can't make a #1/3 into a fine Schuetzen gun. 

Mori has a Ruger #1 on hand, so that won't cost him a thing. I'd be willing to say that for half the cost of a CPA, and sending it to a smith who specializes in #1's, he'd have a gun that would win matches if he does his part.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
I don't have the skills on a stopwatch to measure the lock time either, but before I put a Zika hammer into my #3, I did a "bench test" of setting the rifle up on sandbags, sighting at a 1" square target paster at 100 yards, and dry firing at the paster, without touching anything but the trigger and back of the trigger guard.  After each "shot", I checked the crosshair position compared to the paster, and wrote it down.  After changing the hammer, I repeated the test, and found significantly less rifle movement (about half!) than with the original hammer.  Again, no ammo, just dry firing.  Less rifle movement due to the internal hammer swatting the transfer bar has to mean better potential for accuracy when doing it for real.  When I do my part right, this rifle is now capable of 1/2" groups at 100 yards for five shots.  Problem is, my wind reading skills are less than great!   Roll Eyes

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

humboldt
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
I have been rethinking this project after reading the many fine posts on this thread. What I am thinking of doing now is ordering a .375 barrel (for a 38-55) from Badger. Maybe fluted and in chrome moly as I can rust blue it myself. Besides, I really like the look of a fluted barrel. Probably 28 to 30 inches in length. If I get a fat barrel, I can make a new forearm for it. Any thoughts? Thanks, Mori

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Mori,

Nothing wrong with that project either, altho if what I hear is true you'll be a long time waiting to get the barrel you propose from Badger. I would say your best bet would be to check with Buffalo Arms and see if they have a .38 cal. barrel in stock, and take what you can get. Either that or order one from one of the other custom barrel makers. My Kreiger barrel took 12 weeks.

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #19 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
I shoot a Ruger #3, with a #1 buttstock, in 32/357 (32 Miller Short). Barrel is a 30" #3.5 Green Mountain octagon. Forend is a flat bottom forend mainly for bench but it does work for offhand. I have scope blocks for a modern scope and iron sights are Redfield Olympic front and rear. The rear sight is on a removable base that fits on the rear Weaver base. The lever is a modified #3 lever to work with the pistol grip. Inside I have a Moyer trigger and a Zika speed hammer. 

The forend is bedded to the barrel only and the original hanger is free floated inside. Like FB, it has shot a 248 but I have a long way to learning how to shoot it consistently. 

The 'smith who did the work was Steve Durren of Adrian MI who has since went to work for Ballard Arms.

IP Logged

Shooter_1
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Hi guys, 
My thanks to tenx for pointing me in the right direction for what issues to look for on setting up the # 1 for target shooting. I'm always looking for new or different ways to do things like this.  I already have a few # 1's and it does not seem to be a problem to set them up for shooting good groups, most times under 1/2 inch, of course this is with jacketed bullets, never had a reason to shoot just lead bullets till now. 

The # 1 action seems to have what it takes to make a good shooter, just about straight firing pin hit, stock through bolt etc. and an easy to install speed hammer, speed mainspring, and set trigger is available. So far all I've ever done is change out the factory hammer, mainspring, and trigger and it seems ready to go shoot small groups. 

I cant see how any other action such as a Winchester Hi wall, Stevens 44 1/2, CPA, Ballard, or a Rolling Block etc. could be a better or a more accurate action to work with than the Ruger # 1. Maybe I'm missing something here but don't know what ?.

One thing that I have read about the # 1 action over and over again is the problem of the mainspring hanger contacting the barrel and that it should be free floated ?.

I've had more than a few new # 1's and have never seen one that the hanger was even close to the barrel, all of them seem to be well "free floated" from the barrel right from the factory, or am I missing something in this area also ?. 
Shooter

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Shooter,

Those articles I mentioned in a previous post, that you can get from the Cast Bullet Assoc., or possibly from the ASSRA archives, as Paul pointed out, are geared to set up for cast bullets. Albeit not those we use in Schuetzen. But should be valid.

Your mention of the mainspring hitting the barrel is one I've heard before, and I've had about the same conclusion you have. I'm tending to look at it like this.... without any proof..... There is quite a bit of vibration of the mainspring and this could be passed to the barrel thru the hanger/frame connection. Not to mention if the barrel is max. diam. of the mainspring slapping the barrel itself. There is already barrel vibrations from firing the gun and adding, possibly, counter-productive vibrations from the mainspring is probably not a good thing. The mainspring is really far heavier than needed, and I would suppose that Ruger did it this way to promote positive ignition. You sure don't want a misfire when that Cape Buffalo comes to collect that money you owe him!

When a lot of the guys re-barrel they tend to put in as heavy a barrel as possible, which is not all that great, especially for bench shooting. This certainly doesn't help things. The articles address this and how to be sure the barrel doesn't touch the hanger, and still keep a positive pressure between the forend and barrel.

The upside is that you might get lucky and not have to do any of these cures. From what I read it's not unusual. Most just seem to benefit from some tweaking to get the last little bit of accuracy out of them.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2008 at 3:19pm by tenx »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Sorry guys but I have to disagree. If you have a Ruger rifle on hand you could sell it and defray the cost of a match ready CPA.  Looking at it that way the money is about the same.   Of course I have spent more on a gun than it's worth many times so cannot criticize anyone for wanting to tinker.

As far as performance, looking at ISSA and CBA's national match equipment list as well as matches I shoot in person you hardly see a Ruger. Lots of CPA's, Cody Ballards High Walls etc. well up in the placing.  Lots of Millers too but as a practical mater they are not obtainable. I don't doubt Rugers are on the line at Etna Green but have they won anything ?

As they say you pays your money and takes your choice.

Boats

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
The Ruger rifle is one of the best looking singleshot rifles of all time [IMO] but, there are issues about its accuracy--I don't pretend to know what they are but, there has to be some reason why so few #1-3 show-up on the ASSRA firing line.  I don't believe the solutions mentioned have solved the accuracy problem.  leadball

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #24 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Someone needs to tell Andy Zahornacy that Rugers will not shoot!!! Undecided
Because he clean our clock with his!
I don`t think he knows ruger don`t shoot!! Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2008 at 10:24pm by Jim_Borton »  

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

Shooter_1
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 9:10pm
Print Post  

There's no doubt that the Winchester Hi walls, CPA's and all the others are good looking rifles but if what I read about what makes a Single Shot Rifle action accurate is correct the Ruger should fit in very nicely, in fact it has all the things required, including the stock through bolt. 

I've heard that gunsmiths convert some of the other auctions to this stock bolt system but the Ruger already has it. What I like about the # 1 is that it's readily available at a reasonable price and it's easy to do the speed lock hammer thing and the set trigger. 

I don't buy the part about having to "free float" the hanger from the barrel thing as I've never seen one that wasn't more than free from the barrel. I don't really know just how accurate the others are but do know how good the # 1 will shoot,  and if the others are going to do better they would have to shoot under 1/2 inch at 100 yds.  I wonder how many of the different actions can clam to do that. anyone know of any accuracy destroying issues that the Ruger actions seem to have ?.
  Shooter

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #26 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Andy has admitted to me that  "Rugers won't shoot"; after he cleans my clock with his.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
The ASSRA Ruger #1 that steve durren converted to 22 rf for me is as accurate as any rifle I've ever owned.   I'm willing to bet that if it was fed the correct ammo, and put in the hands of a better shooter and wind reader than it's present owner, it is capable of firing 250s at 200 yards.   However it IS set up as a bench gun.
It has a GM barrel (#3 win profile or so) with the Zika light hammer & spring kit and steve gave it a real nice crisp light trigger ---- while leaving in all the "extra" factory parts.   I've tried it in the mini-hudson and it's too heavy for me in its configuration and my skills are too poor to judge it for offhand;  but I see NO reason to think that if set up right it would do equally as well in that side of the sport.

I see no reasonal why similar treatment would not provide a top notch offhand rifle in a suitable schuetzen calibre.   I supect that some of us are more "comfortable" with a more traditional (read "hammer" action) rifle; and the hammerless ruger action may be off-putting to some.  I think a lot of it is a chevy/ford type reaction.
I'm convinced that ALL of our top end rifles are more than capable of good schuetzen accuracy and that the shooter and his/her skills is a bigger factor than the gun itself.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

frederick
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 5:32am
Print Post  
If "schuetzen" is offhand shooting, then I note that in 20 years I've not
seen a single top shooter using a Rugar offhand. Most use the Miller though notably Jim Luke and Steve Garbe shoot Ballards. Bench shooting
is a separate and distinct sport and within it's confines apparently the Rugar is equal to any.  Whatever, just have fun and shoot your best.

Fred

IP Logged

Shooter_1
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Sorry,
Being new at this I really did not know that "schuetzen" was considered offhand shooting only, I was always under the impression that "schuetzen" was more of a style or type of gun, such as something with a two piece stock, hook type butt plate, non bolt action single shot, etc. etc., it's fun learning new things, but no matter.

I realize that some guns that are shot off a bench are so heavy they would be very hard to shoot off hand, but if a so called "schuetzen" type gun such as a Ruger # 1 shoots great off a bench and it's set up as a "schuetzen" type off hand gun why wouldn't it shoot great offhand. ? 

Another question from the new guy, if off hand is "schuetzen",  or "schuetzen" is off hand,  is there a different name given when shooting bench rest, if it was called "schuetzen" bench rest that wouldn't make sense, I guess what I'm asking is what is the sport of shooting a "schuetzen" type gun off a bench called, "off hand bench rest", I know that doesn't make much sense, but ?.
  Shooter

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint