Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Opinions on 44.5 reline (Read 8633 times)
MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Opinions on 44.5 reline
Mar 9th, 2008 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
All the talk on other threads about the 25-20ss has got me wanting more than ever to get my 44.5 switch barrel set up where I want it. It came with a 25-20ss barrel. I have a 38-55 I had put on it. My intention was always to switch them if I wanted depending on what match, weather, my mood, what ever. 
After really looking at my barrel I have doubts about it. 1st, it is not an original target type but a sporting barrel. This may make it a little light but I know that can be worked with. My bigger concern is the bore. The first inch or so in front of the chamber shows wear. The rest of the bore looks ok, not perfect, but fairly sharp. I can't decide if I should ultimately have it relined or not. I have a personal issue with altering an original barrel that is otherwise ok, But, If I can't do with it as I want....what good is it?
I know relining is a lot cheaper than a new barrel. I am looking for opinions. What would YOU do?
MerwinBray

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Re: Opinions on 44.5 reline
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
merwinbray;
             If this barrel was from a really high- dollar rifle I would suggest you not re-line.  Re-lined barrels don't seem to substract much from the value of rifles I see for sale.  I would suggest a new barrel, the cost of a new barrel over a good re-line is not all that much, a # 8 [Win contour 28"] Douglas barrel is about $160--a TJ Gateway Enterprise liner will be about $115  or $4.00 an inch.  Chambering, crowning etc will cost a little more that installing the liner but with a new barrel, you end -up with the best of both worlds.  If you decide to re-line find someone that does re-lining--you don't want that call in the night " I seem to have ended-up to two different places in the middle of your Stevens barrel what should I do now"   leadball

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Merwin,

Depending on how "bad" that area in front of the chamber is it might be just right for breech seating without deforming the bullet on doing so.

I'm certainly no gun smith but you could do most of the work of re-lining yourself. I re-lined a .22 RF with a TJ liner. Did the drilling out, and glassing in, and had my gunsmith do the crown and chambering.

There are two ways of drilling the barrel out. Push and pull thru ways. I used the pull thru but a push thru with a proper pilot should have the hole come out right in line with the existing one.

I'm not recommending you do a re-line, because you can get a lot of "heat" against them. Quite a few will recommend a new barrel keeping the old one "as-is". It would make the re-sale price go up. I wouldn't recommend doing so with a really nice, NRA Excellent rifle but if the only good thing about it was it was all there, then I wouldn't worry about it. It's a decision you'll have to make on your own.  But the nice thing about a re-line is that you don't have to fit a new forend , or alter an existing one.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Merwin, before you do anything rash, have you shot the 25-20?  I would suggest having a gunsmith set up to do so use a bore scope on the rough area, and see just how rough it really is.  You may find that a light lapping will take the area to acceptable for breech seating, or you may find that it's a fur ball and have to line it anyways!   

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
I think you oughta park the sporter barrel and have your rifle  rebarreled with a Smith barrel.  Make the .25 the same weight as your 38/55.   Same length.  Better to use the 25/20 repeater case. Its a stronger case. Just as accurate if not more accurate than the SS version.  25/20 R brass is plentifull

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
My two cents worth is to shoot it first and see how it shoots. If it is not accurate enough to suit you then to me it would depend on the condition of the gun. If it is really nice I would go for a new barrel. If average or less I would go with a TJ liner. Did a .22lr to .22mag conversion recently. Gun was on the rough side and I wanted to keep it looking original on the outside so I went with the TJ liner.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
The gun itself is average, not high grade. I have shot it but not at distances any where near near 200. Only on my short backyard range I set up for the "Winter League". It shot okay with fixed and considering I didn't do any devolpment, just loaded a couple different loads and shot it. I only loaded with swiss 1.5 and that 1st BP equiv that goex made, I think it was clear shot.
Westerner, I already have alot of stuff for the 25-20ss so I will probably stick with it. I am light on brass but have enough now for schuetzen if I re and de at the bench, though I will need a new stem for my seater and re&de, unless I make a plugged case. I have argued with myself about the 25-20 repeater and someday hope to go down that road.
I think looking into a lapping and trying seating 1st is a good idea, maybe I'll get lucky.
I have relined a couple of .22 barrels, they got better as I went. I guess I am timid of screwing this barrel up. I am not a gunsmith, I only play one in my shed, and that gets scary!
A barrel the same size as my other ALSO makes good sense, keeps things consistent. HHMMMMM.
Merwin

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 2:34am
Print Post  
Earth to westerner !

I thought you had a CPA 44.5 Merwin.  Me duh ! 

Ok, I want to change my opinion.  I recommend you turn your Stevens into a full blown Shutzen rifle with three barrels. A .32, a .38 and a .25. 
All Smith gain twist barrels.  Get the triggers and wood from CPA.   
A new set of Axtell sights to keep it traditional.  As long as you're at it make the wood deluxe.  It has to be checkered, maybe have Ken Hurst engrave a ferocious looking Russian Boar throwing some houndogs in the air.  I'd do the action black to fit the mood of the engraving. Thats about it I guess.  Oh, the barrels should be 30" long. 

Most of the work on your part would be final assembly and money man.   
A plain simple plug breechseater works great on the small .25 bullets. 
If you need Ebony or Rose wood for the matching screwdrivers and loading tools to go along with this project , just let me know. 

Man, this is really fun !  I'm sure glad were spending your money Merwin  Smiley Smiley

Joe.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Joe,
I don't even know where to start with all that! I believe if I could afford all of that I would just buy a rifle company solely based around making ME the gun I want. Porfits? well, as long as I had my gun! But thanks for the advice Cheesy Slightly more serious though. Do you know of people who have had real succes with the 25-20wcf? I truly have beat myself up trying to figure if I want to try one when I am able to do something with my second barrel. Someday I hope to be able to thread my barrels like several people I know and shoot with. Still learning the lathe and have a good ways to go.
Merwin
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2008 at 9:38pm by MerwinBray »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 2:15am
Print Post  
Duane Jenner uses a 25/20 R case in his lowall. Very accurate. The R case will take more pressure than the old SS case. It will last longer too.

Joe.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 2:25am
Print Post  
I had a .25-20 SS 44-1/2 which had about two inches of pitting ahead of the chamber courtesy of the old corrosive/erosive primers with the rest of the barrel pristine.  It never shot better than mediocre groups so I finally had Redman reline it and I rechambered it to .25-20 SS again.  It shot much better, especially with cast loads.  Hated to do it, but the rifle was not in totally original condition anyway, nor was it a high-grade rarity.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Merwin Bray
I'll give you a third option. Have it relined and chambered for the 25-21. The 25-21 had the best reputation for accuracy back in the day. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #12 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 9:22am
Print Post  
40_Rod,
Ya know, I was already debating do nothing, 25-20ss reline or 25-20r reline, then you come along and pique my interest in the truly classic! Does the madness EVER stop? Probably not.
Do you have something in that round? If so, any chance of a look see at the Frogenmiesters match? BTW, I am very happy with the mold and haven't forgoten about it. Thank you again.
Merwin

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #13 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 10:27am
Print Post  
And DON'T forget the fitted English walnut case with brass fittings!

westerner wrote on Mar 10th, 2008 at 2:34am:
Earth to westerner !

I thought you had a CPA 44.5 Merwin.  Me duh ! 

Ok, I want to change my opinion.  I recommend you turn your Stevens into a full blown Shutzen rifle with three barrels. A .32, a .38 and a .25. 
All Smith gain twist barrels.  Get the triggers and wood from CPA.  
A new set of Axtell sights to keep it traditional.  As long as you're at it make the wood deluxe.  It has to be checkered, maybe have Ken Hurst engrave a ferocious looking Russian Boar throwing some houndogs in the air.  I'd do the action black to fit the mood of the engraving. Thats about it I guess.  Oh, the barrels should be 30" long. 

Most of the work on your part would be final assembly and money man.  
A plain simple plug breechseater works great on the small .25 bullets. 
If you need Ebony or Rose wood for the matching screwdrivers and loading tools to go along with this project , just let me know. 

Man, this is really fun !  I'm sure glad were spending your money Merwin  Smiley Smiley

Joe.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Over the course of time, I got extra barrels for my 44-1/2 and relined and chambered them for .25-20 WCF and .25-21.  The latter certainly has an accuracy edge over the former, but if it's more accurate than the .25-20 SS with smokeless powder, I haven't been able to definitively prove that.  The .25-21 is definitely more expensive to shoot than the .25-20 SS.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint