Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Maynard calibers (Read 4327 times)
BillOregon

Maynard calibers
Mar 8th, 2008 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Now that I have a Maynard 82 to fiddle with, and will probably need a new barrel, I am looking at the original chamberings and the .35-40 looks very intriguing -- it's not a .38-55 or a .32-40, and there are a LOT of molds in this caliber. Anyone out there mess with this or any of the other original Maynard chamberings?

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Maynard calibers
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
My sole shooting so far with an original 1873 (large rim) cartridge is the neat little .40-40 cartridge made from .30-40 brass using John Bly adapter rings and stoked full of CTG GOEX behind a cork wad and a B&D moulds copy of the original conical or cylindrical bullet (Barry cut the cherries for both moulds.)  It is a delight to shoot, accurate beyond expectation in the original, somewhat rough barrel, and the brass seems to last about forever.  I have the .64 smoothbore barrel, but don't have a firstborn to sell into slavery to pay for that brass!  Undecided

Froggie

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
My two rifle barrels for my 73 are 32-35 and 38xl both using adapter rings and 30-30 brass. I have not shot it yet. Will go to the range Wed. evening and test fire it. Shotgun barrel is a 20 gauge and uses adapter ring and standard brass also. I may be selling a bunch of single shots as I really like this one a lot. moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Bill,

Looking at your post again and seeing you are talking about the 1882 model that uses "conventional" cartridges with "normal" rim thicknesses, I should also mention once again that Larry Romano sent me one of his excellent repros of the Model 1882 in .38-55.  Since it was the highest grade #16, it had the longer octagon section and the fore arm as well as a pistol grip, but weight-wise it was not all that much heavier than my little #9.  With cases full of BP and bullets in the 250-280 gr range it was most pleasant to shoot.   Smiley  The write-up was in one of the issues of the Journal that came out some time last Summer, IIRC.

However, the early caliber for that rifle that just revs up my little froggie heart is the .25-20 SS, which was first introduced as a factory chambering in that very rifle.  If I had an 1882 or for that matter an 1873 with Hadley device, I would be looking real hard at the prospect of putting a .25-20 barrel on it and going Quarter Boring in style!  BTW, I do know that John Bly has made at least one such as I held it in my little amphibian hands.  Like Larry's demo rifle, it was real hard to let go of!  Roll Eyes

Green Frog

IP Logged

BillOregon

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Thanks for the thoughts, guys. Froggie, do you have a photo of the bullet you shoot in the .40-40? The .25-20 Singleshot is intriguing too. I wonder what its accuracy potential is at 200 yards.

IP Logged

SemperFi
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
I need help identifying a Maynard rifle that I have sort of "come-in-to". I believe it is a Model 1882as that is the marking on the left of the reciever. THE SERIAL NUMBER ON THE LOWER TANG IS 10198. tHE STOCK HAS A NICKEL PLATED butt piece, a cheek piece and a pistol grip in three (?) pieces. It comes with three barells: one in 20 gauge, serila # 13229; one has a .224 bore, beach tipe front sight and appears to be setup for the Maynard .22 XL centerfire; the third has a serial # 16 and then 4615 offset at 90 degrees, the bore m,easures about .356 and the chamber does not appera shouldered, it has a globe front and open rear site. All three are round with a hex chamber area as well as the lever atacched to each. All bores are bright and on two the rifling is fairly sharp.

Can anyone out there tell me what it is I have and sugeest a) someone who could look at it and supply parts i.e. missing tang sight, extrator on .22 barell b) exactly what caiber(s) I have here c) is it worth restoring as I would like to shoot if possible.

All info, suggestions and/or help will be greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #6 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
SemperFi, e-mail sent.  Drop me another line if you need more info.

BillOregon, I'll see what I can do.  I had them in an article in the SSR Journal a year or so ago, but let me see what I can dredge up.

Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint