Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Turkey Rifle (Read 13709 times)
38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Turkey Rifle
Reply #15 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Thanks, gang, for the support and votes of confidence!  At 57 it's hard and somewhat scary to start over!

Merwin, I plan on doing some relining, but it will be a bit as I start pounding nails today on the shop...just waiting on my first lumber delivery.  I'm taking over half of the garage, I have a small lathe (11x24") and a not-yet-running 10x54" mill.  Eventually I hope to offer barrel octagoning/fluting, plus other services like lining, recoil pads (for the local trade), possibly Parkerizing (again, for the local shotgun deer/turkey hunters) and rust bluing.  It will take a while to get all my ducks in the same row...sort of like herding cats!   Roll Eyes

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Brent, we have talked before, I shoot with the Davenport Club. Our matches have stepped on yours in the past but I will look and see how it works this year.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 11:07am
Print Post  
bnice wrote on Mar 4th, 2008 at 7:28pm:
Make sure you check if it is legal to use. In Iowa it has to be a shotgun with no larger then #4 shot, your state may have simalar rules

My state, MS, also has one of those ignorant shotgun-only laws. Wonder what the original rationale was?

Fearless Frank has several thousand acres of nice hunting land with only a few rules. One rule is that no shotguns can be used on turkeys under any circumstances. Another rule is that no game wardens are allowed on his property. His favorite turkey rifle is a 220 Swift, but excellent results have also been achieved with the 32-20 WCF when compared to either the Hormet or 25-20. Apparently the slightly heavier 32-20 bullet is just as accurate and flat-shooting at ranges up to 125 yds and is a slightly better killer. FYI, YMMV of course.

Our MS shotgun-only law is a fairly recent one, maybe 20 years now. It has provoked many heated debates but little actual comparative experience or factual reporting of results. One of my oldest friends, retired from the State Narcotics folks, could easily be enticed into an argument that would result in him becoming so agitated that he would sometimes jump up & down in rage at the idea of anyone actually shooting a turkey with a rifle. Horrors!

I, of course, took great & repeated pleasure in taunting him that he might change his mind if he ever learned to shoot straight enough to actually hit the turkey with anything other than his spray-&-pray scattergun!

After all, what are friends for, anyway? I told him that he needed to go back over to the MHP training facility at Pearl, MS, and take some more shooting lessons from Jim Hemphill, the National Champion in charge of the center. Even offered to make him an appointment and work out a schedule. Heck, I even offered to teach him myself!

I won't repeat what he told me to do.

Anyway, don't discount the 32-20, it has a great rep with actual woodsmen. The new 32 Magnums should also be excellent choices IMO.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

wwben47
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Merwin..If you follow I-64 west from Richmond to White Sulphur Springs, and turn north on SR-92, thats where we hunt...And yes, WV is like VA in that respect..rifles are legal here. Almost as many turkeys as #$%^& coyotes.

J.D.  Steele..Thanks for the info on the 32-20. I would really like a SS in an older, traditional caliber..But may have to go with something in a more modern chambering.  I hadnt thought about that H&R 32 Mag.
Am I right in assuming that either 25/20 or 32/20 will have the "loopy" trajectory , BP 45/70 does?
Again..Thanks so much for your input.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
bnice wrote on Mar 5th, 2008 at 10:09am:
Brent, we have talked before, I shoot with the Davenport Club. Our matches have stepped on yours in the past but I will look and see how it works this year.

i'm connnecting the dots  - oh so slowly.  But I do catch on.

Brent

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Ben we qill be shooting some old rifles on my farm below Alderson first weekend in May. Maybe you could drop by one evening and try a few. I have about 20 single shots in various calibers. Later, moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Am I right in assuming that either 25/20 or 32/20 will have the "loopy" trajectory , BP 45/70 does?.

Yes, unfortunately. IMO there's not enough difference in their trajectories to matter up to about 100-125 yds. Depending, of course, upon just exactly which bullet!

I like the 256 WM but it's not suitable for most small-dia liners, nor is a 32 Mag. I believe the heavier TJ's liners would probably be OK however for the magnums but I've never used one.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

wwben47
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Moody..Thanks so much for the invite!..I will look forward to that as much as turkey season...Ok..Maybe not THAT much..but a lot!  We will be up at camp so not far back down to Alderson. I will send you my home number and the number at camp . 

J D.Thanks for the info..Amazing..once you start shooting these old guns others kinda lose their appeal.
Wes

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #23 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
SC went shotgun only 35 or so years ago. Prior to that the Hornet was the preferred rifle round, followed by the 30-30. I started to build a SS bolt gun from scratch for the hornet, then they outlawed rifles for turkey- still have the roughed out 3 lug bolt and 8620 bar for the receiver! Very popular around here were drillings in 16 ga/hornet- lots of heavily wooded areas and small fields.

Willis

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

wwben47
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Singleshot..One of the guys I hunt with uses an Anschutz in 22 Hornet..Thats what got me interested. He uses his spring and fall. I like my 12 gauge for spring, but would really like a rifle to use at times in fall...I saw a Marlin 25/20 on Guns America a while ago..for the low low price of 12 grand !!

IP Logged

mdeland
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 1:47am
Print Post  
   I rebuilt a low wall and chambered it in 25-20 for a friend who sold it to another of our friends in the club. He really loves it and shoots steel with it in the winter clang-n-bang matches we hold out to 100 meters. I hated to give it back when I finished with it. Neat little rifle!
  The 25-20 is a great little cartridge and easy to load  with cast or jacket. I never shot one with BP loads so I couldn't say about that though. MD

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint