Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Turkey Rifle (Read 13701 times)
wwben47
Ex Member

Turkey Rifle
Mar 4th, 2008 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Hello to all..First, thanks for letting me join the forum.  Im slowly going thru the threads and learning a lot...My only SS rifle experience is with a 74 and BP loads.

While I still do all my spring gobbler hunting with a shotgun, I am seriously considering a rifle for fall birds. I was leaning toward a 22 hornet, but was reading today about the 25/20..The article said it was an excellent turkey round to 100--150 yds. That sounds long to me considering the Hornet is newer but considered effective to about the same yardage. The 86 gr. bullet was recommended over the 60 gr. ..Said it caused less meat damage..Thought I would ask the experts..Am I correct in assuming this round is loaded to BP pressures in factory ammo?

Is it difficult to reload?..And most importantly can anyone recommend guns that can be relatively easy to find, reasonably priced, and not prone to breakage?..(I use my guns hard.) Oh, and not heavy would be good also..Apparently the West Virginia DNR adds a few yards of elevation to the ridges each year...Thanks for any input.
Wes

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Re: Turkey Rifle
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
WWBen47,
Welcome to the board! I don't know about a single shot 25-20 but I have a .22 hornet H&R 1871, and my cousin has one of the NEF guns. They are essentially the same other than finish and stocks and both pretty accurate. I have been considering taking mine out for turkey this spring, it just feels right to me. I can shoot it and know where it is going.
Do you mean 25-20 winchester or 25-20ss? I assumed winchester. I would think they would be good turkey guns and have also read accounts of the 100+ yds that you mentioned. I know that guys in the target world shoot the 25-20ss to some pretty impressive groups at 200 if the conditions are right. I have read of people experimenting with the 25-20 winchester for target work but don't remember the results. I have wondered if it can be made as accurate as the SS. I have been trying to figure out what to do with one of my crusty ballards and keep leaning towards lining it in 25 cal. But keep trying to decide between 25-20ss or the winchester version. 
It just dawned on me that the Thompson Contender was once available for the 25-20 wcf and probably still is from Fox River, their custom shop.

once again, welcome aboard!
MerwinBray

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

wwben47
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Thanks Merwin..for the welcome and the info..I hadnt even thought of the H&R/NEF..

IP Logged

wislnwings
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Interesting that you posted this today.  I received one of my turkey tags in the mail today and since one of the states I usually chase turkeys in each spring allows hunting them with a rifle I have been considering trying one.  I recently aquired an original Winchester lo-wall in 25-20SS and was thinking it might make a good turkey rifle.  I know the 22 hornet is a good turkey round and have freinds that have used Ruger No 1's and bolt actions for turkey with good success.

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Ben, I have a place in Greenbrier County, Welcome to the board. My 25-20 is a Remington #2 rolling block. Light and accurate and a pleasure to reload for. Find any small single shot and enjoy. moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

wwben47
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Well hey Moody..We must be "huntin neighbors"..Myself and two friends have a camp on Little Creek in Greenbrier County...Come and join us sometime..We dont kill a lot anymore..but we sure eat good.  Is 25/20SS..Sharps Straight?
Wes

IP Logged

wislnwings
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
25-20 single shot.  I'm new to this round and still learning, but that's half the fun anyway.

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Make sure you check if it is legal to use. In Iowa it has to be a shotgun with no larger then #4 shot, your state may have simalar rules

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
bnice - you're an Iowan?  Good to hear.  Where?

I wish I could hunt those birds with a rifle.  We can hunt pheasants iwth a rifle, but not turkeys.   

Were I to do so however a .25-20 SS would be my first choice and I would use a 65 or 79 gr NEI flatnosed lead bullet and about 17-19 gr of Swiss 1.5 fg or Goex Express 2fg.  It would be an ideal turkey set up.

Brent

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Brent, there's a few of us on this list.

David
Montezuma, IA
Ordered lumber today to convert half my garage into a gunsmithing/machine shop.  Start cutting wood and pounding nails tomorrow.  This formerly desk-bound sloth is going to be sore!   Roll Eyes

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
David, I have noticed you were in Montezuma and perhaps employed by Brownells ???   

We may even had met once perhaps.  I recall meeting someone from Brownells that was a singleshot man in any event.

Iowa - the handle is an Iowan of course as it tenx and gwarden and a few more.   

bnice and David - any interest in shooting at Steamboad this summer?  2nd and 4th Saturday of every month from May through Sept.   

Brent

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 8:26am
Print Post  
Brent, after twenty years in the Tech department, the B company decided that my services were no longer desired.   Lips Sealed

I've shot at Steamboat in the past, and am planning on it occasionally for this year, depending of course, on my employment situation.  (If someone offered me $75G to commute to Ames, I wouldn't turn it down, but I would like to stay local!)  I'm trying to get a machine shop/gunsmithing shop open to avoid the inconveniences of poverty and hunger.   Grin   

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 8:32am
Print Post  
David, good luck with the gunsmithing.  There are not many singleshot smiths in Iowa and not many gunsmiths period, so you work should be needed.

With luck we will see you at Steamboat and maybe Ackley this summer.  

Brent

PS.  I should add.  Ain't a whole lot worth drivin' to Ames for either.  I work there, but don't live there.

IP Logged

wislnwings
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 8:34am
Print Post  
David it sounds like you're in the same boat I'm in.  After years of dedicated service helping a company grow, a new executive decided it was out with the old and bring in the new.  So as of last week, I'm out.  The bright side is it happened just in time for turkey season.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #14 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Ben,
Where is Greenbrier, CO.? I am working in Fairmont on a Northrup Gruman project and live in western VA. I know WV covers a lot of ground but there are shoots that are worth the trip!
In VA a rifle is legal for turkey, I think it is in WV but I have not read the regs in a couple years. I have friends with land near Morgantown, never got out to hunt it because I was confued about the out of state rules and zones, etc. 

38_Cal,
WHat kind of smithing will you be doing? Any relining work?
Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint