Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 1915 Favorite (Read 10038 times)
38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 1915 Favorite
Reply #15 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Never did like the way those "piloted" drills were ground!  When possible, I like to use a boring bar in the breech end of the barrel to the dia. of the liner and about 1/2" past the chamber, then a good quality, sharp, twist drill with an extension held in a boring bar holder to drill through to the muzzle.  Lots of cutting oil...it's cheaper than a broken drill!  I've done it with a hand drill per the B instructions, and was not impressed.   

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

wislnwings
Participating Member

Reply #16 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
I think I'm going to find a smith to do the relining.  While I think I'm handy enough to do the work ( I carve working duck decoys as a hobby) I'm smart enough to know that there is still a learning curve and I'd rather not ruin a barrel to find ot what I don't know.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Recently had a TJ liner installed in a Stevens 44. Pricy but I think the best. That being said, I have a Redmans liner from Brownell's in a Stevens Tip Up and a Crack Shot #26 and find the accuracy more than adequate for casual plinking and target work. Depends on what you want to spend and what your expecations are. With the problems you are having a liner sounds like the best way to make it right. I can get the cheaper liners done here in southern Illinois for around $120. The TJ cost me $260 installed.

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Good information Mr. J.D. Steele and Mr. 38_Cal.

Can we switch this conversation over to the ASSRA Door that reads "Gunsmithing the Single Shot Rifle"?  The subject that we're on right now seems to be heading in that direction....and I would like to know more.

Look for the title;    "Relining a Ruger No. 1 Barrel"......Thanks Guys

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint